Math Puzzles Thread

I'm bored. I need some intellectual enrichment.

Post your hardest problems.

Other urls found in this thread:

claymath.org/millennium-problems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_conjecture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why am i so alone

Let [math] F: \comp^2\to \comp^2[/math] be given by F(x,y)=(p(x,y), q(x,y)) where p and q are polynomials. Assume that the Jacobian determinant [math] p_xq_y-p_yq_x[/math] is a non-zero constant.

Show that the components of [math] F^{-1} [/math] are polynomials.

(This was a fun extra credit problem in my complex analysis class).

OP was asking for hard problems, not trivial bs like this

>doesn't say which field his polynomials are defined over
>his shitty school assigned this basic homework problem in complex analysis and not even in vector calc
what sad excuse of a university do you go to? i want to know so i can avoid it forever

You're in a room with two computers and two doors. One computer always tells the truth one always lies, you dont know which. One door leads to life and the other to death, you dont know which. What one question can you ask verbatim to both computers that will show you which door to pick?

if i had a program on a turing machine that told me which door lead to life, would the program terminate?

Does the 1st door lead to death and is the other computer lying?

Which way would the other computer tell me to go? Both point to death

the answer to "is the other computer lying" is always yes, so that's not helpful, and the first part of your question doesn't help on it's own

That's a pleb level problem, loser

"What would the other computer say is behind the door directly in front of me?"

This way, the answer you receive is guaranteed to be false.

Solve it then, fag.

This. It's a simple riddle.

Fuck sake this was in Yu-Gi-Oh lmao

kek

But isn't it unnecessary to have two computers if both give you the same answer? Couldn't this riddle be done with only one computer?

>solution is left as a exercise for the reader

Using only chords, divide a circle into equal area pieces with no two pieces congruent.

>which field
Complex numbers obviously

Why don't you post your solution, friend? :^)

the exercise requires only plugging through the definitions, do your own homework, there's /sqt/ threads for these kinds of things

I know how to do it. Like I said, it was an extra credit problem. Why don't you try to work it out; it's not as trivial as you think.

claymath.org/millennium-problems

hardest problem:
prevent our doom

i did that in my second year during vector calc like i already said

Well then it shouldn't be any trouble for you to post your solution, or at least an outline. Or you can just keep repeating how easy it is, and never put your money where your mouth is :^)

its literally not worth my time, i'm sure you can find dozens of answers on stackexchange

this was posted a couple times a couple of weeks ago. I never saw a solution. I thought this was a hard problem.

is the n=2 case easy?

OK if you say so Mr Big Man :)