/Med General/

All Doctors, Med students, Pre-med and Prospective med students welcome.

Even others who wish to drop by are welcome

Would like to discuss how other med students are doing and perhaps get insight from doctors of what shit we're getting ourselves into.

I'm gunning for Emergency Medicine, red pill me pls, thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/retraction-record-rocks-community-1.11434
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

MD-PhD student here, on first year of my break. I was hoping to have a few less stressful years after the crazy amount of work I had to put to get here, so far my hopes haven't been panning out, but I'm just starting.

As for Emergency Medicine, I don't know what country you live in and how it is like there, but in my country it's extremely stressful. You always have things to worry about, never having real free time, always running around, pretty harsh on your personal life. A lot of people like it for the adrenaline rush, but I have no idea how you can survive doing that for a long time, there's probably a lot of burnout.

I'm in my final year of a chemistry degree and am considering going into medicine after, anyone gone from chemistry to medicine here? How was the transition?

How can a Physics degree help with getting into medical school?

Same

Looks good if you're interested in radiology

Chemistry PhD student here. Kindly remove your sorry, snotty fucking corpses from my department. I hate all of you.

Someone sounds salty

Your undergraduate degree doesnt matter at all.

Must be a Halophile.

>tfw your a sad chemfag studying a sort of dying industry of life science PhD.

Why not take up chemical engineering I hear it pays decent chemfag and you'll still get to enjoy learning chemistry if that's your passion.

Someone sounds mad that MDs are still able to do all the research they want if they choose to go down that route while making bank, having prestige, a beautiful wife, automatic respect

stay mad!

What have I got? Is it related to hand foot mouth siesiese which I had two years ago ?

TFW no placement after completion of MBBS

I guess I will work as a phlebotomist for a year while I do some research to bump up my CV.

Don't go into medicine. The social prestige and the money aren't worth it.

I'm on my second year and haven't written any papers. As I live in Brazil, I know that up to 10% of the residence grade is reserved for extracurricular work, according to each institution's rules. Redpill me on how important scientific production is to my career; should I bother with it, since I can enter residence w\o it (I know that for a fact). My primary interest is medical practice, and I want to specialize in Cardiothoracic or Oncologic (head\neck) Surgery.

Yo so I just ate an heroic amount of datura seeds.

What do?

Enjoy the trip

>when an MD does research

nature.com/news/retraction-record-rocks-community-1.11434

Any other foreign Med Student? Mexican Med Student here.

>inb4 Are you taking the steps?

why

Extreme willingness to serve and help others is a much more sustainable motivation

FUCK PREMEDS

I am one year into my PhD (as an MD-PhD) and have 2 publications in top impact journals (15+ impact factor). Keep up the jelly

Israel here, thinking about taking USMLE step 1 soon, but I'm not sure how many years it's valid for

If you're gunning for Neurosurgery or Urology, you're fucked. Don't think there's an IMG that got a place in those specialties.

Anything written in med-school doesn't matter much. Scientific production may be important depending on what you are planning on doing, if you want to advance in a hospital environment (Chief Physician, etc.) you will need to do some research in most hospitals, but there's no point unless it's research directly related to your specialization, so you can do it during your residency and later.

Not planning on residency in the states, only fellowship. I have great hospitals in my country.
(So I also don't need to do step 3)

Also, I have absolutely no interest in anything surgical.