Here's my fatal flaw with evolution

Here's my fatal flaw with evolution.

Let's say you have a dog. And let's say there's an empty elevator shaft. Does a dog know what an elevator shaft is? Of course not. Does the dog know that if it walks into the elevator shaft, it will plunge several stories down to its death? No.

If it falls down, it dies. There's no passing of any "elevator shaft avoiding" gene to any of its offspring, which would save their lives and prevent them from making the same mistake.

Instead, what evolutionists will have us believe, is that over millions and millions of years, when the odds are literally billions and trillions to one, eventually ONE dog will get the hypothetical "elevator shaft avoiding" mutation, which will give it an edge over other dogs. This is assuming that the dogs haven't all died off yet due to falling down elevator shafts after hundreds of millions of years.

And somehow, SOMEHOW evolution has achieved something that is about a million times more complex and intricate with humans and nature in general. Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

you're fucking retarded the dog evolved from something else and that process took billions of years. Dog did not just come to be out of nowhere and have to evolve to not fall down sheer edges

actually i just realized that this is bait, fuck you for taking up my time

You're assuming the dogs don't commonly encounter these elevator shafts and only one dog sees them at a time. In reality, animals travel in groups and encounter their problems far more commonly, enough to provoke an evolutionary response, thus increasing the probability of the "elevator shaft avoidance" gene.

bait or not, evolution DOES actually answer this.

Some dogs will have genetic mutations which will lead to an aversion to (some form of danger, e.g. elevator shafts)
The dogs which have this mutation will be less likely to die in elevator shafts, and, if all else is equal, will be more likely to pass those genes on, because, you know, they're alive.

Obvious b8, but actually not quite. Dogs are pack animals, and so if one falls down a hypothetical elevator shaft, the other dogs will not, as dogs can learn not to. When a cat teaches its young to hunt, or a chimp shows other chimps how to poke at anthills with a stick, this is primitive knowledge being passed down through generations. Knowledge "evolves" far faster than animals biologically evolve, and humans are a testament to this.

Cute statement op, but you forgot one little fact.

Assuming we are only talking about one empty elevator shaft (honestly it could be multiple and it would make little difference) and numerous dogs who enter and die from it. The smell of the rotting corpses alone would be enough to force future dogs into avoiding it.

And since one of the best features of a dog is it's keen sense of smell the species would easily avoid extinction. Hell it wouldn't even need to develop a new genetic mutation to avoid it simply because the genetic tool set it has is sufficient enough to regulate itself.

I'm kind of baffled no one has stated this yet in the thread regardless of it being bait.

Here's your (You), OP

The dog will just look down the shaft and realize that this is a bait thread

I don't fully understand this, but it looks dope as fuck.

>evolutionists will have us believe
What do you mean by "us", Peasant?

Yes but that sense of smell is another example of an incredibly unlikely mutation/gene. And it's not even a mutation, it's an entire sub-system of the dog-- the smell system. How many billions of years would it take for that system to be good enough to prevent its host from wandering into a dangerous situation? It's impossible.

A lot of animals aren't pack animals, so how do you explain knowledge passing down for them?

>Does the dog know that if it walks into the elevator shaft, it will plunge several stories down to its death? No.

Wow you spent a lot of time typing something that is easily refuted.

>Does a dog know what an elevator shaft is?
He doesn't need to. He would recognize it as a cliff or drop off, which he already knows to avoid. I don't read too many stories of dogs jumping, like lemmings to their death, down an elevator shaft.

>Instead, what evolutionists will have us believe, is that over millions and millions of years, when the odds are literally billions and trillions to one, eventually ONE dog will get the hypothetical "elevator shaft avoiding" mutation, which will give it an edge over other dogs.
This not what evolutionists think. They think I) mutation occur periodically and are random ii) The principle of natural selection reasons that beneficial changes are more likely to survive and harmful changes are more likely to die out.

God tier bait, but this simply isn't true

Go back to

>He doesn't need to. He would recognize it as a cliff or drop off, which he already knows to avoid.

It's just a metaphor. It could be any dangerous scenario where it's not immediately obvious to the animal that they could die if they involve themselves.

>He would recognize it as a cliff or drop off, which he already knows to avoid.
Is another prime example of a magical mutation.

>Instead, what evolutionists will have us believe, is that over millions and millions of years, when the odds are literally billions and trillions to one, eventually ONE dog will get the hypothetical "elevator shaft avoiding" mutation, which will give it an edge over other dogs. This is assuming that the dogs haven't all died off yet due to falling down elevator shafts after hundreds of millions of years.

Really putting the cart before the horse here senpai

Elevator ahafrs are an invention by humans, it isn't something an animal would normally have to naturally adapt to. Plus fear of small spaces could probably be passed down

Well rat traps certainly kill a lot of rats more than cliffs do, maybe because it takes many many more generations for such a mutation to arise. This is how evolution works, you can see it in those grey moths. OP simply cannot understand what hundreds of millions of years means.

i find this funny coz u guys are all dismissing this as bait and maybe it is but one thing that the guy does unveil is that we dont actually know anything about psychological traits or cognition and its relationship to evolution though it probably does.

you guys dismiss it as bait and say its obvious when it probably really isnt though the guys logic of evolution is flawed.

But still from this you can take that most of our justification for evolution comes from things that are alot simpler than this and its really a step too far to try and use this as an attack on evolution when we barely know anything about psychology and cognition in neurobiology let alone evolution. Evolution shouldnt be expected to answer questions (or the overwhelming majority of them) like this yet as we dont know too much about cognition and from discoveries in the past we can reason that what we do discover may not even be too intuitive for a problem like this.

youre all bastards.

the dog learns by experience that falling a relatively small distance hurts and is then able to abstractly recognize that falling a much larger height would be much worse.
What's magical? Recognizing it as a cliff or knowing to avoid it?

The dogs that have a fear of heights are more likely to survive.

Thanks for reminding me that a whopping 40% of Americans don't believe in evolution.

Decades ago it was only 30%. What happened?

>Let's say you have a dog.
I don't have a dog. Fuck off.

People will always find something to hate each other about. Its just human nature. If it isnt racism then it is something else.