Pale Ales are Shit

Pale ales are a meme beer. Everyone does them, and no one does them well.

>not liking iced tea made from hops
i thought you were cool, user

Thank you for your opinion, we really care.

Obvious bait thread, but still

>no one does them well.

Pic related, the pale ale that sets the bar for what all others should aspire to be.

I've been drinking this beer for more than 20 years. Before and after I started home brewing. Still amazing.

Maybe you just don't like pale ales. It's okay to not like something that other people like.

Except all breweries try and pull it off and it's all they do. case and point. Sierra Nevada did it and now every brewery does it. It's gotten to the point where pale ale's are the equivalent of rage comics.

95% of IPA sucks ass. It is the great meme beer. There are great examples of the style like Pliney the elder or Hopslam But OP is right, every brewery makes an IPA and most are terrible. It has become the hipster douche beer. How many times have you heard a beer snob criticise what you are drinking and recommend a random IPA, then when you don't like it he says "well your palette isn't accustomed to the nuances of an IPA" naw dude it just tastes like bitter flowers.

I don't know where you are, but here in the upper midwest so many are doing really good pale ales

Speak for yourself California

Sorry bro. Ohio here

I guess down in the south things might be different but in the northern areas good IPA is super easy to find

ipa's are literal cooking with jack tier

People drink ipas to fit in with beer culture, when they actually have no fucking idea what they are doing.

What?

I drink Bells Hopslam whenever I can get ahold of it. I like IPA and there are lots of solid examples. It's just there are way more overhopped shit tier brews. It became such a popular style so fast that every brewery felt they had to make one, or two, or five. It's a style falling out of favor slowly due to oversaturation of the market.

I don't know many Ohio beers, but Fat Head's IPA is pretty good. I'm just a big fan of the midwestern style fragrant tropical hop IPAs though, so many Midwestern breweries make great IPAs in the vein on Pseudo Sue and Zombie Dust

I came to this thread expecting genuinely informed conversation. Instead, I came in to this:

"hurr pale ales aren't good. They're a meme beer. ipas are bad. People only drink ipas to fit in."

Someone mentioned homebrewing in the posts above, so hopefully they'd back me up on this. A recipe for a pale ale includes but is not limited to water, pale malt, hops, and yeast. They literally do not include enough ingredients to constitute a "meme beer", nor do they include enough hops to be called an ipa, thus don't meet your criteria to be labeled a "meme beer"

I'm fucking pissed off, and I don't care if it's legitimate or just a forced meme. I don't observe many beer conversations on the internet, but I visit Veeky Forums and I join the beer conversations.

Unfortunately, too many of you have maintained a warpath against ipas, now even pale ales, so pretty much hops in general. And for you that feel that way I have but one thing to say:

I'm sorry that you are so helplessly out of touch with the craft beer community that you actually feel justified in having negative opinions toward ipas. If you happened to actually venture outside, or even engage somebody in conversation about craft beer, it wouldn't take long for you to find that ipas are enjoyed by a significant portion of those who seek craft beer. The people I come across working with craft beer don't even bat an eye at ipas, but view them as just another style of craft beer. There is no stigma around them like you desperately try to purport - that is nothing more than an idea that you've let fester in your mind until you believed it to be true. Such an idea would be shattered so quickly by even a single venture into the outside world.

So, with sincerity, fuck this anti-ipa echo chamber that I lamentably call "Veeky Forums"

>They literally do not include enough ingredients to constitute a "meme beer"
ha, jokes on you, meme beer has no actual meaning any any type of beer can be considered one

i've just got baby tastebuds and can't stand any kind of beer

Hopslam from Bells Brewery out of Kalamazoo MI is the best. It's a double IPA and I've never had anything as close to as good. It sells out and a couple weeks when it's available.

I like Hopslam, but I don't think its that special
Id rather have Surly Todd the Axeman, New Glarus Scream, any Toppling Goliath IIPA, Karben4 Idiot Farm, and some Pipeworks stuff when it comes to Midwestern IIPAs

I love the axe man, scream is just so so to me, never had any of the others. I've had some pipeworks beers, but not any IPA. I like their Jones Dog milk stout and morning vice brown alot. It's hard to find here, but my sister lives in Chicago so I get it there. I will definitely try the others.

I like IPA. Stouts are my go-to but I'll never bitch about IPA. I don't see the controversy. You just have to get used to the bitter.

By no means do I believe "meme beer" is an actual thing. It's just a term used by basement-dwellers to describe beers that people like.

Almost all douchebags I see drink Bud Light

American IPAs are ridiculous with hops. Just avoid them if you don't like hops.

Most other pale ales are more tame though.

I've never liked Pale Ales, I have a lot of friends that do, but I find they often taste like suds. The most common around here is Leeds Pale Ale, every pub does it. I've tried others, but it's all the same 'soapy' taste. Does anyone else have this experience? My go-to beers are Tyskie Gronie and Doombar, normally.

I personally love them, but I can see why someone wouldn't.

What I'm curious about is what the cutoff is for Pale Ale vs IPA

I just like my beer wheaty and bready okay? No bully

For me, it is...

For me it's

Why do you care so much? Just drink beer and enjoy it? Try different ones to see what you think is good, disregard the ones you don't. It's not a popularity contest. It's beer. Drink it.

Pale ale is not even beer
beer is not supposed to be better

try a quad made in belgium

Sierra Nevada, you fucking cuck

>I came to this thread expecting genuinely informed conversation
Why?

I imagine an English style pale ale is quite different to an American style one. I know the IPAs are.

>I came to this thread expecting genuinely informed conversation.
you are a fucking retard for expecting that out of a troll thread and are exactly the reason why stupid autistic beerfags are targeted by shitposters and trolls on here in the first place

get some sense

Not him but fuck this line of thinking. When I go to my favorite bar of the 10 brews on tap, fucking 5 of them are IPAs, it becomes my problem.

Faggot.

Sounds like you need to rethink your definition of "favorite."

one of my favorite bars only has 5 beers on draught

Coors Light, Bud Light, Budweiser, Blue Moon , Guinness Draught, and Sam Adams

I fucking love Sam Adams so I usually get that, but I hate how little variety they have.

The best post I've ever read on this shithole of a board.

In actual craft beer circles nobody judges anybody for what styles of craft beer they like. Some people like IPAs, some people like stouts and porters, some people like sour Flemish ales, and some people like whatever the weirdest fucking beer on tap is that they haven't already tried.

BTW my favorite beer ever is a 100+ IBU 10% ABV IIIPA.

Not him but Idiot Farm is breddy gud.

I've never understood this meme, there are so many of them and they all taste like garbo

I want stouts to be the meme beer already

An Indigo Iceberg India Pale Ale?

Soon, my friend. They are the up and coming beer style.

Coffee stouts, oatmeal stouts, breakfast stouts, Russian Imperials, Non-Russian Imperials, more damn stouts than you can shake an IPA at!

My friend has a yeast allergy and can only drink IPAs, what would you recommend for him?

>stouts
>not already a complete meme

F L Y O V E R
L
Y
O
V
E
R

Kill yourself

> (You)
>Kill yourself

t. bootyblasted flyover

nice meme xd

That's why hops, a bittering agent, are used so profusely in beer brewing, right?

>Pale ale is not even beer
>Belgium

Uh...

Are you legitimately stupid?

Have you perhaps never heard of Belgian pale ale as a genre? Or perhaps saison? Or do you think trappists are the only beard made in Belgium?

stop typing meme. Just stop it.

The hate for IPAs stems mostly from a hate for hipsters. Don't worry, soon nobody will care because hipsters moved on to drinking sours.

Is it weird that hops strike me as being more floral/citrusy than bitter?

Haven't IPAs been the center of the craft brew industry for many years now?

I do like IPAs but I feel like that's what most breweries revolve their selection around. It makes me really appreciate well rounded shit like Sam Adams Boston Lager and Brooklyn Lager.

Some can be more citrusy, yea. Or "floral" I had an IPA that tasted like fucking grass once.

Same. I wonder if the overuse of hops is why malty stouts are rising up.

IPAs are garbage

Pale Ales are good

You can have any american meme beer you want as long as its a super hopped acrid IPA or a chocolate stout with coffee overtones.

All served ice cold of course ;)

I think that's probably the case, although I think stouts are also vulnerable to being memes. I.e, imperial double chocolate black midnight stout

What other styles do you think might rise in popularity? I would guess Pilsners and Vienna Lagers maybe, or maybe Ales less heavy in hops.

I don't think it's wrong to like cold beer

Well personally I don't see sours getting very popular. Although it apparently is the "fresh" beer style according to West coast hispters.

Pilseners would be a nice change of pace.

Pilsners are too close to macros like bud and the like. I don't see it happening.

I personally really love amber ales and other similarly balanced beers, so I'd be okay with that stuff taking off and becoming the new meme.

I've seen amber ales offered more lately at bars and restaurants I've been to. I'd be pleased if we got more of that, I fucking love ambers.

I've had Brooklyn Pilsner and I found it to be much better than the BMC stuff.

Amber Ale is a good guess though I think

Yeah I agree.

Cellar temperature

I like fridge temperature

I don't drink much but what pale ale I've had is far too sweet and bubbly for my taste, what's a good alternative to that?