Kvass Thread

Let's have a thread to discuss the fine art of making this ancient beverage.

This is how my family does it:

>boil 2 liters of water; once it starts rolling, take it off the heat
>burn 3 slices of rye bread
>add them to the water
>add about 1/4 cup of raisins (you can use dried cranberries instead if you'd like)
>cover the pot and let the bread/water mixture sit for a good 4 hours
>afterwards, strain the mixture and put the liquid in a bowl
>pitch 1.5 teaspoons of yeast (it can be a baker's yeast or whatever you happen to have on hand)a into the liquid
>add 3 cups of brown sugar
>stir
>pour into mason jars or something else with an airtight seal
>give the yeast something to latch onto, in our case we add more raisins (about a handful), this will also impart the grape flavor onto the drink
>add a tablespoon of honey to each jar that you fill
>seal them tightly, and let them ferment for at least 3 days, 1 week or more if you want it to be extra boozy
>when you're sure you want to drink it, strain it again and serve chilled

I know each nationality does it differently. My parents were from Ukraine and this is how they taught us.

I would really like to try Kvass, but I don't wanna bother getting it shipped to me or some bullshit.

I guess making it myself would be the easiest solution

I'd like to try this, but it does sound revolting to be honest.

Essentially, it's just a really basic way of making beer. Ever had Malta? It's almost exactly that: just a really low alcohol percentage beer.

In Jordan we have KfaS

> 2 liters of water boil take off heat
> burn 3 slices of pita bread
>add to water with 1/4 cup of dates
>sit for hours
>strain and put into airtight can
>DO NOT ADD YEAST for Allah is merciful and if it is written the KfaS will be boozy
>add honey
>add orange blossom water
>add vagine that hangs of wizard sleeve
>boom in a week you have Arabi KfaS

you had me going for a second there

I love a nice cold glass of kvass at night to wash down all that Putin jizz I just gargled
t. Хoхoл))

suga blyad :DDDDD

Why do you feel the need to shitpost? Seriously, why?

Are you a leaf? An Aussie? Or, -Allah forgive me for uttering this word - an irishman?

What drives you to type out that big smelly log and turdpost it to a board dedicated to fucking cooking?

Are you mad at your inferior celtic genes, you fucking whiskey-nigger?

Well guess what? The 6 counties aren't being returned to your autistic and incapable hands anytime soon you drunken monkey.

The Republic of Ireland is a pisshole full of drunken retards and ugly redheads. Northern Ireland is only less so because it remains under British rule, fucking deal with it.

You shitheads are like fucking Africans, only of slightly lighter complexion. Once the foreign powers left, you had no idea what the fuck to do with yourselves and so your incompetent asses quickly realized that running a country WASN'T as simple as saying "OOOGA BOOGA GIBS ME DAT"

or in your case

>"OY PADDY OIM A NAVVY SHORT O' THE OL' HOLY WATER THER WHAT SAY WE RAID THE CLOSEST BRITISH OUTPOST AND MURDER EVERY BLACK N' TAN INSIDE"
>"O THAT'D BE GRAND IF I DO SAY SO MESELF SCOTTY O' BRIAN ' FLANNIGAN ' O' CONNOR O' BUTTFUCK MCGEE"

Does your keyboard even function properly after all the booze you've spilt on it over the years? Or is that why you shipost? Because you meant to write something intelligible but the sheer amount of congealed whisky fucks up every keystroke to the point where the only thing that comes out is impotent rage manifested as a result of your own inferiority?

The ONLY thing good to ever come out of your shitty island was the laughs we English got from kicking your sorry asses around for 800 years. We laughed even HARDER when your pathetic "rebellion" """"""""gained"""""""" back enough counties to form it's own """"""""independent""""""" country.

You are the laughing stock of Europe. You are the Liberia of the UK. You are an embarrassment to the white race.

Think on that next time you drink yourself into a coma

oй блять, дaй мнe дeвyшки

When I tried to make Kvass, I was unable to remove the yeast which collected on the bottem. Does anybody know how you can effectively filter the yeast?

Holy shit user

Wew laddy.

In beer making we use a food grade plastic hose suspended above the trub at the bottom and siphon the liquid above it getting a minimal amount of the sediment. Even doing that, there's still a layer in the bottom of each bottle since the yeast continued to work to produce the carbonation. When you pour it out you stop before that flows out. I usually tip it up and drink it from the bottle after I pour into the glass since the yeast is high in vitamin E and minerals.

>want to try kvass
>managed to find some in a local import store
>slight malt flavored soda

I know that the pre packaged stuff is nothing like homemade but it is just like supermalt

What do you mean by burn? Toast?

How much? Light brown, dark brown, burnt/black?

Dark Brown. It is supposed to be bone-dry, so it might be a good idea to turn on the ventilation of your stove.

Oh, so you do it in the oven? Or on a grill pan?

JUST BURN SOME FUCKING RYE ITS NOT THAT HARD

Are mason jars really enough to hold the pressure?

nigga you are overthinking this

Seriously, nuke that shit. Turn your toaster up to Nagasaki.

You'll know you've done it right if the smoke detector in your house is set off.

POTATO NIGGERS BTFO

WILL PADDY EVER RECOVER

Any way to cut this recipe down to 1/3?

sure. Just divide all the ingredient amounts by 3.

Im not retarded

What type of rye do you use?

It's not scientific by any means, I just grab the blackest bread I can find; i.e. something with plenty of maltose in it. For me that usually means rye bread, but I've seen people do it with pumpernickel too.

Fuck me, the rye i got is white

Can i still use it?

Never tried it with white, myself. I'm guessing though that the taste would basically be the same, provided you burn the slices good and black beforehand.

Ok, and regular mason jars with that two part lid is enough right?

Yup, s'what I've always used.

What should it taste like in the end, i followed boris' recipe last time and it tasted like that after puke bile taste

Boris I think did a few things differently that will drastically affect the taste.

Number 1, he only used 100 grams of sugar. I ramp mine up to 3 cups brown sugar because 100g isn't enough imo.

Second, he only let his ferment for 2 days, which in my experience isn't enough to get the desired fizzy and beery taste.

And the honey is a really nice complement to the flavor.

The end result should taste like a legitimate beer: dark and boozy like a lager but also sweet.

OBSESSED
t. Potatonigger

Oh, and post the end results of your escapade pls. I'm curious.

That sounds fantastic

The end result was me and my mother gagging over the sink after tasting it, it was awful

Is halving the whole recipe safe?

I mean to this most recent one. I've never done it with white rye before.

That picture never fails to make me uncomfortable

Ok, ill take plenty of pictures

Plz awnser

Sure. I actually scale mine up a little bit anyway, so half recipe should be fine.

HERE WE GO
GOOD TO GO

God help me, this thing burns at 4, its on 7

Neat

Keep going user

Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Alrighty, time to wait 4 hours, ill post back if the thread is still up.
Now if the thread goes down, could you tell me the best way to ferment this once it is in the mson jars?

yeasts like to be dark and warm. i stick mine in the kitchen cupboard for the duration of the process.

How much alcohol % per day of fermenting? Also, what is the best way to sterilize my jars?

I know 3 days will yield approximately .5 - 1.5%. A week or more will ramp it up to +3%, which, if you down the whole jar, will get you dizzy. A month of fermenting like a proper beer might get you to 7%. It's really not supposed to be that hard of a drink, in Europe it is sold as a soft beverage.

I just use soap and water (of course being very careful to rinse the hell out of them so no stray soap screws with the process).

So basically, 3 for a week and forget about 1

Basically

I heard jester King and goose island have plans to make some

what

Now to wait.

Turned out darker than I thought it would. Should be pretty good.

I can't wait to try it

The worlds best kvass is the one the chef makes at Taras Bulba in Moscow.

get some real rye bread you fucking nigger. FROM A BAKERY

Hate to break it to you but thats not rye bread. Its white bread with rye in it.

It's kvass; to harness the true slav power you must make it as ghetto as possible.

Of course. Do you know what that toaster needs? Three white stripes and a mother's Catholic disappointment.

I'm so excited to try OP's recipe.

Is it normal for lid to bulge?

Is gas from kvass.

Ik, but should i release it, or is it safe?

nice fruity tiles fgt

releese the geese

Why is there nothing for bittering? This sounds like ass. Can I replace the rye bread with loose toasted rye?

It's not supposed to be actual beer, it's a malt beverage.

It tastes like a slightly sour cider.

American apple cider, that is; the hazy kind you drank as a kid on hay rides and pumpkin patches and such.

"burn" like almost making charcoal out of them?
Or
"burn" as in roast/toast until entirely brown/crispy?

Turn that shit up to Nagasaki, my dude.

can I use apples instead of raisins? also how are the lighter colored kvas made, lighter bread?

Absolutely, you'll just get a more cider-y taste is all. And yup, lighter bread, and only lightly toasted instead of setting the toaster to Hiroshima.

Going to try this out.

Thanks for the recipe.

You don't use an airlock for your fermentation?

Seems like a recipe for exploding shit to me, bro.

Its bread yeast my dude, 3 days to 1 week won't blow anything up except the cheapest and worst plastic.

This.

Also, you can use a double, or even triple, fermentation process to help clarify your end product.

container 1: This is what you use for your first fermentation. Siphon off all the clear Kvass into another container, and leave the yeast sitting on the bottom. That yeast is the BEST yeast for fermenting another batch, by the way.

Container 2: After you have let the Kvas settle again for a week or so, you will see a lighter coating of yeast on the bottom of the container, and your Kvass will be clearer. Siphon this off into yet another container.

Container 3: You will see an even lighter coating of yeast at the bottom of this one after another week, and your Kvass will be clearer still.

Most brewers use a 2 stage fermentation and then either filter their beer, or use an additive to help clarify it, which is totally unnecessary IMO. Regardless, do what you think is best.

Do I need a track suit to make this?

yes, squatting is optional though

Just brewed some up, is there a specific smell I'm supposed to be getting? and how sweet should the wort be?

Initially it'll smell like burnt bread tea. After a few days of fermenting it should start to smell like alcohol.

No problem, Hitler.

saved

shameless self bump. i want to see white rye guy's end product.

As a bognigger usually I'm all for /int/ tier bants because my island's history is a fucking goldmine for memes but your long winded autismpost was average, user.

Less alcohol, more bloody sundays.

You'll get there.

White rye guy here, im worried that my kvass isnt getting warm enough, any tips on how to keep it warm?

>brittons still salty that they're not pure celt
>still salty that they're a mutt mix of normans(basically frenchmen), saxons and romans
>the brittons have no culture or myths of their own
>king arthur is actually welsh

no wonder your island is getting full of mudslimes. keep chugging hallal dick faggot.

>congealed whisky
caught you slippin

>distilled from saxons, romans, vikings and normans
>literally a how to on creating the perfect race

Where the fuck are you from that you're still so fucking pure? Japan?

then why are they all incested and have fucked up teeth?

Wtf I hate ireland now

ironically the english have the best teeth in the world

you w0t