What went wrong with science in 2016?

What went wrong with science in 2016?

Literally zero good inventions.

I feel like the last good scientific invention was tablets and that was a few years ago now.

Did funding get cut? whats going on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzz5DdzyWY
youtube.com/watch?v=LVsqIjAeeXw
ideaconnection.com/new-inventions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>scientific invention
>tablets

Get into space technology. We're having a great time.

>Also, as with all things, consumers and consumer demand ruins everything

VR became huge this year

iPhone 7 came out OP. Cheer up.

Nah but really, the only significant that happened was Elon Musk saying he wants to colonize Mars.

1) All the resources are going to software/apps and building factories and indoor plumbing in 3rd world countries.

2) You ever notice how every song you hear sounds like something you've already heard? The low hanging fruit in consumer tech has been picked over pretty hard.

it did? I heard facebook brought the occulus then didnt really think anything further happened.

Normies love stuff that look and are "cool"
So they make shit like pic related.

Another useless crap

have you not been paying attention to the giant leaps in AI that keep happening

> deepmind beat the best GO player in the world
> deepmind is now out diagnosing doctors
> Google brain is now making it's own encryption algorithms that nobody understands
> Neural nets can now learn how to drive cars by watching humans do it
> multiple companies using fully autonomous vehicles on the road

the 21st century is the century where AI and robotics revolutionize our world is a way bigger than the industrial revolution did

came here to post this

>the last good scientific invention
What about the memristor, what happened, it was suppose to be proven and the future of electronics?

2015-2016:
- Solar Freakin Roadways
- Thorium Car
- Water Seer
- Hypertube
- Time Travel Pills
- Liquid Sound
- The Philosopher's Stone
- Other Made Up Bullshit

The google brain one scares me

What about news on tabby's star or when we onvented a machine that could finally win a game of go against a human?

If you don't understand what it is or how it works can you really call it encryption?

Agreed, so much quack science and engineering being published on reddit and Facebook feeds convincing the masses that progress is being made.

>Solar Roadways
Still very unproven, no updates in 2015/2016 and consistently seeing evidence of them delivering underwhelming results with the millions in funding received
youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzz5DdzyWY

>Thorium Car
We're a long way from getting a fully sized powerplant built let alone scaling one down to fit in a car

>Water Seer
Another overengineered product that ultimately does nothing but bullshit the average normie into false hope: youtube.com/watch?v=LVsqIjAeeXw

>Hypertube (Hyperloop?)
Possibly bullshit but you can't deny there are a lot of prototypes being built, lots of brain power and funding being thrown at making it work. The actual design has been through the ringer for about 3 years now and there hasn't been any "killer" flaw/problem.

>Google brain is now making it's own encryption algorithms that nobody understands
>security through obscurity
into the trash it goes

Look at phys.org. More than half of it is biology and astronomy.

The low hanging fruit has been picked is what happened.

ideaconnection.com/new-inventions/ This is a good site for new inventions though.

you confuse science with technology.

I blame apple

The last step forward was vacuum tubes to silicon transistors.

this isnt reddit faggot. no one gives a shit why you came here to participate. "dude totally this" is far from a charming or novel anecdote

politely, suck ball cream and die

sounds like you really love those popsci articles

What annoys me is that leddit started the whole "le science and skepticism" fedora shit and now they're denying it because Musk said its true. Oh Jesus never existed despite multiple independant historians referring to him shortly after his death but an ICT degree CEO says Solar Freakin Roadways are viable? Stop denying science you bigot!

The only people really impressed with AI are people who don't understand it. It's still nothing more than a bag of neat tricks

Sony's thing seems to get attention.

> things people who have no idea about anything say to seem clever

I mean really, "neat tricks"?

I'm not even into AI, but that just sounded ridicoulous.

No, it didn't. It's still just a fad that makes people sick. Jesus, if you want to drop out of reality just take LSD. Time tested, culture approved.

>elon musk
I never trust car salesmen

this isnt reddit faggot. no one gives a shit that you don't give a shit. "dude no one cares" is far from a charming or novel anecdote

politely, suck ball cream and die

Study some machine learning and you'll see. "Deep learning" is just neural networks from the '70s with yuge computing power. Basically it's brute force statistical models.

Indeed very far from general artifical intelligence.

Do you know of any good intro books for machine learning?

A piece of code that can identify a cat does so by applying a cute piece of math over a 2D matrix. It doesn't understand what a cat is, it can't generalize or infer. Until machines can conceptualize meaning, it's not intelligence.

Cue all the futurists marvelling at the slightest glint of light. Singularity, mind uploading, crap stew...

>meta faggotry
>too unoriginal to counter
>mundane life of mediocrity
>no genuine ideas
>die never making mark
>no one remembers
>tombstone says faggot
>vagrants shit there occasionally

Not everyone is into hero worshipping the deity of Musk. There's actually real world intractable problem sets that have to be dealt with now. But if you can't cope with reality and want to tune out by masturbating to the fantasy of space travel, sure, go ahead.

Check out Andrew Ng's lectures. It's literally machine learning for dummies.

Alright, thanks user.

Troll thread report and hide.

Every piece of technology is a bag of "neat tricks" when you actually understand it. Of course the general populace were more impressed by the first plane than the wright brothers who risked there lives by flying it because they knew how and why it would work. Stop being a fucking faggot.

Nobody is claiming we are close to a general AI, that shit is sci-fi currently, but if you can't see how enormously complex the task of beating GO was, or that even these weak AI's will/are currently changing the world we live in, you are fucking retarded.

Just because the theory of neural networks began in the 70's doesn't mean they knew if it would work/how to make it work.

HUUUURRP DERP ROCKET TO THE MOON? PPL WERE WORKING WITH ROCKETS IN THE 19TH CENTURY NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL HURRRRRR

>being mad about memes on the internet

>trying too hard to be cool

So. I went to look at the 'google brain' saw all these research papers on the site. Started to look at them, then noticed the authors names.

Go looking, it will give you a good idea of why stem is shyte.

Liberals.