Dark vs. White Meat: Why?

I recently discovered that English-speaking people have a thing about dark/white meat. I had never heard that the same bird had a difference, but I always preferred thighs/wings, or meat on the bone in general.

Apparently this makes me a peasant swine, and apparently meat on the bone is "gross"?

I don't know what to think anymore. Someone explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/142592/Tyson-Individual-Quick-Frozen-Halves-Chicken-Breast-8.2-Ounce.htm
foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/142428/Tyson-Individual-Quick-Frozen-Random-Chicken-Wing-5-Pound.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Breast meat is for tendie eating neets and children.
Dark meat is for the true patrician nu-males amongst us.

Thighs are dark meat, wings are white meat.

All meat comes on the bone; all meat can be deboned.

The only really gross meat is boneless, skinless chicken breast that has been overcooked and underseasoned, mostly due to how ubiquitous it is among "dieters" (e.g. Veeky Forums fags).

Drumstick is my favorite part of the chicken

White meat has a lower fat content and is championed by the Veeky Forums crowd. Dark meat is higher in fat but also higher in iron, and other trace minerals. Tastes better too.

Right, so I don't need to buy into the paranoia. Excellent. More thighs for me! Thank you user

no difference for functional adults, my 5 year old sister will only eat white meat

Its gross if you think its gross, other people cant decide how good something tastes for you.

>meat on the bone is "gross"
What kind of basic white girls have you been hanging out with
Meat on the bone is usually the best

I cannot understand the whole "steamed veg, boiled breast with old dried mixed herbs sprinked on top" meme, surely there's a spice blend or sauce they can make that still fits their regime.

nah, white meat always has a dry texture, no matter how properly cooked and juicy, it still feels dry

>patrician
>nu-male
>bait

only breading + deepfrying will make sure it remains moist

Thigh with oyster is the best part.

It's the woman deal where they think by eating tasteless crap for a meal they're eating "healthy," and can eat their bag of chips, quart of ice cream and box of chocolates while swilling 6 diet sodas that evening with a clear conscience.

White meat has more protein and is more expensive. Dark meat has more fat and is cheaper.

>wings are white meat
upper wing is white meat, lower wing is dark meat

Dark meat is more expensive in basically every country that isn't America because it has more flavor. White meat is really only good when its deep fried or used in a small number of dishes. Dark meat is a work horse that can be used in a variety of dishes.

dark meat stands up better to being totally overcooked as a lot of poor people tend to do with meat
just about everything you said is false, though

Thw white/dark meat thing in English reflects antique English propriety, where saying the words leg, thigh or breast at the table would have been unseemly. These were people who used to put skirts on furniture to hide the "legs".

While some people have always had preferences one way or the other the fat phobia of the second half of the 20th Century made white meat the most desirable in many people's minds.

Also since food served to the upper classes was usually carved or filleted before reaching the plate squeamish members of the middle class consider it upscale not to have bones on their plates.

Wait, is this true? White meat is more expensive in america? What a bizarre country.

People have that same fucked up Veeky Forums mentality about lean protein being the be all end all of healthy eating, driving up the price of skinless boneless chicken breast.

Works out great for the rest of us who have taste buds.

>Any culture that isn't shitty midwestern food is poor people food

Get a fucking passport and stop eating so much shitty fast food

Not anymore. Wings tend to be more expensive, due to demand.
It's not always the case, but for instance:

foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/142592/Tyson-Individual-Quick-Frozen-Halves-Chicken-Breast-8.2-Ounce.htm

that's $2.67 per pound
and that's no bone, pure meat, not sold in as much bulk
then:

foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/142428/Tyson-Individual-Quick-Frozen-Random-Chicken-Wing-5-Pound.htm

which is $3.88 per pound
including bone, and for a much larger order
Thanks Hooters and take-out pizza!

this

cucks are buying two chicken breasts in a pack that are $7/lb while the entire 10-pack of thighs I buy is the same price

In my experience, Midwestern cooks tend to be some of the worst offenders in overcooking meat out here, but that's more of a cultural thing not economic.

If it ain't white, it ain't right.

good thread
boneless skinless breast is the absolute shittiest tier

Using white meat often results in a cleaner plate, that's it's only advantage. Many people, no matter what ethnicity, are big on cleanliness and find dark meat too messy.

Like pork loin however, it's only good for grilling and stir frying, shit for everything else. It's especially shit for roasting.

You can make a clean dish with dark meat too, but again most people don't have the patience for that.

It's easier to grab some utensils and cleanly serve up some white meat. As a result, it has greater demand.

>dark meat too messy

I don't think you're communicating very well. Do you mean the plating isn't as pretty? Do you mean the dark meat dirties the plate somehow? Do you seriously mean people would choose dry tasteless sawdust over rich, juicy, flavorful meat because it didn't meet some absurd notion of aesthetics that complies with a 1950's Good Housekeeping photo of a bourgeoise garden party? If so, I suggest checking in to Bedlam for a cursory examination.

a projection of autism

Not him, but yes, unless you are a dog, you eat with your eyes first.

have you people never heard of stuffed, butter flied, rolled, larded, barded, injected, serving with a sauce, pounding, or cutlets, to name a few techniques which are great with lean meat.
Are you all really that dumb, or do you really just enjoy trolling? Are you trying to create le white hate meme? That just reflects more poorly on the typical alt-right idiocy than anything else, and it needlessly shits up this board.

why do all that when u can just eat dark meat

what said

>take leanest, driest cut of meat and remove all remnants of flavor (skin and bones)
>cook it in a technique that reintroduces copious amounts of fat and flavor
>m-mum healthy chicken breast can taste good too!

Who's the dumb one here?

>needing to ask if modern redneck infested Veeky Forums has the slightest idea about taste or subtlety in their food

Im partial to white, because it comes off clean and tastes really basic. Because white meat is less complex a flavor than dark it can be spiced in different directions. Plus I didnt learn how to completely eat wings/thighs throughout most of my childhood. I like both though.

>eat with eyes first

All well and good as long as those eyes aren't seeing through the lenses of a nonsensical aesthetic dictated by 1950's women's magazines. No, thank you very much, Mrs. Cleaver. Now have a heaping helping of overpriced "pretty" sawdust on me!

if its cooked right, who gives a fuck? chicken is good.

White meat takes on flavors better.
Dark meat has more flavor on its own.

If you're buying cheap chicken, spices and sauces on white meat "hide" any off-flavor. Cheap dark meat is pretty bad.

If you're buying a decent product, dark meat is better in almost every use.

Bone-in meat was generally looked down on as being for the lower classes, since it's less expensive. Also the general squeamishness of American females and their orbiters. They don't like being reminded that meat comes from animals because they're weak and feel bad for things that were put on this Earth for the specific purpose of being eaten.

Anyone attempting to denigrate you for your food preferences is just a special kind of autist and an all around asshole, unless you're doing something legitimately poisonous like bleach and ammonia wings.

>when mcdonalds changed the nuggets to white meat only and advertised it as though this was a positive change

I get my nugs from the chinese takeout place now, much better price too.

Dark meat is better in most cases but this isn't true.

The white meat they use now is much better than that almost ground meat dark meat they were using. Most countries around the world still use the old dark meat style and its pretty shitty.

I love drum sticks. I take the skin off before cooking.

>Tastes good
>much harder to dry out when cooking
>very cheap cut of meat

>being this mad about being too poor and needing to use cheap shitty animal fat instead of rich designer fat of your choosing

Wait are you trying to say that vegetable oil is better than duck fat, lard, and other animal fats? Are you stupid?

I'm saying that chicken fat is terrible and only poor people think it's good

I think you mean that you have no taste buds if you seriously claim that white meat is better than dark meat. Stop eating tendies

>Wait are you trying to say that vegetable oil is better than duck fat, lard, and other animal fats? Are you stupid?
I would take olive oil over animal fats in terms of daily use. Animal fats are nice but too heavy for regular cooking IMO.

As per the thread, I like both white and dark meat. I like dry as well as moist meat, so the complaint many have of "dry meat" isn't an issue for me. I eat a good amount of wild meats, such as deer, moose, snowshoe hare, ruffed and spruce grouse, etc and they are quite lean and can be dry.

You can cook white meat in duck fat or lard if that's your thing

Dark meat is exclusively for poor people

I really like leg quarters and they go on sale for 98 cents a pound a lot here.

Do you define poor people as the cuisine of every country that isn't the US?

Dark meat is where all the flavor lives. Chicken breast is boring.

When I'm sharing a chicken with someone, I don't mind that they prefer white meat, more deliciousness for me. But I still think they're crazy.

>Dark meat is exclusively for poor people
Trying too hard/10

But you got that guy

>not eating all of the parts of the meat

GO WASTE YOUR OWN FOOD

>unironically choosing white meat over dark

Informed Veeky Forumsizens prefer dark meat, specifically thigh meat, it's higher fat and nutrient content are better for your body especially Test production than plain breast.

You know what I really fucking miss? Dark meat Chicken McNuggets.