What are some good field to study in biology for future opportunities...

What are some good field to study in biology for future opportunities? Is it mainly just pharma/medicine that is the shit?

Im mainly interested in genetics, but it seems like you need to PhD it to actually do something with it in the future.

Just don't do neurology. Apparently that field has filled up.

I'm doing biochem. It's nice because the classes are small. And I get to look at lots of pictures and funny little diagrams :o) And I like chemistry.

To be fair all STEM fields have been filled up. You'll be competing to be in the top 25% or so of your generation to get a job related to your degree.

Get good grades, be gregarious, be more attractive. You'll be fine.

Biocarpentry.

Mathematics.
300k starting
solve any theorem I want

yeah math is not biology

Fuck off, we're full

Biomaterials seems like a pretty good way to go
Not many people studying it, interesting subject matter and useful in industry

Synthetic Biology and the manipulation of Biosynthetic pathways are starting to gain some momentum

Synthetic biology, protein design, recombinant expression, stem cell technology.

Honestly though what do you mean by "future opportunities"? Getting a job in biotech?
You can do research that matters within pretty much any (molecular) biology field, whether it's protein chemistry or developmental biology.

Genetics is definitely a good field OP. I think it's very likely that designer viruses will be used to cure a variety of genetically inherited diseases in the near future.

This is what I was thinking.
Im going to be starting Uni soon and I have a good feeling that theres going to be a bit of an explosion in all things bio-tech.

Do any other Anons think I'm Memeing myself?

microbiology

literally endless job prospects due to constant microbial evolution, if you get in with antibiotics you're essentially set for life

This imo

You guys happen to know of any unis doing interesting research on this?

UCSB has an entire materials science faction that recruits physicists, chemists, and biologists IIRC

Anything to do with increasing longevity
Cancer research will always get funding until its solved
Genetics (CRISPR stuff) will either turn out to be nothing or literally civilization changing. I suspect that intelligently modifying the genome is more of a computational problem than a biological one though, so bioinformatics type stuff would be good for this.

Thanks man I'll check it out

even if that user you replied to is an unstoppable moron, he has a point

combine the two and you'll get yourself a job, biomathematics/informatics, stats etc, that's what's needed now

Top tier fields in near future in biology: epigenetics, drug metabolism.

UCSD is always a safe bet for anything related to advanced biology

Agreed with these. Over the past half-decade, synthetic biology and systems biology have exploded.

In structural biology, cryo-EM is hot.

So, if you're interested in academia, I would say either synthetic biology, systems biology/complex systems, or structure with a background in cryo-EM are your best bets. (But, also, be cognizant of the fact 1 in 12 life sciences PhDs will end up in tenure-track faculty positions.)

What are some fields with good industry prospects? What about microbio? I heard lots of governments need microbiologists.