Oatmeal (or any other porridge) ideas

So lately I've been curious about preparing any kind of porridge, especially oatmeal. How do you make your grains? Any interesting recipes? What are your thoughts on overnight oats?

Here's an interesting recipe for a thing called Tsampa:

guide 2 tsampa
1. get pearl barley
2. roast it in a pan on a small fire. You will need to stir it constantly, or it will burn up;
3. then leave it to cool off for a while;
4. grind it down to flour. You can use a coffee blender is the best thing for this;
5. roast the flour till it gets nice and golden;
6. leave it to cool off again.
Then just store it in any dry place. To prepare it, just brew some tea, and add it to the powder with some butter (sugar/salt/nuts/anything else per taste).

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/cinnamon-apple-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html
youtu.be/y6TChwIx6T8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Needs more Veeky Forums piggies.

Nothing too complex, just cook it an a pot with milk and stir in some ground cinnamon, nutmeg or honey. Never cared to make the trendy overnight oat recipes as I prefer my porridge warm, though I am curious to try and see what the fuss is about.

Rice cooker.

Hulless barley (with more water than usual to ensure it's broken down) or steelcut.

Pinch of salt.

Easy.

Here's a tip: if you're or anybody here was a n00b like me, I would make it with a .5 cup milk and .5 cup oatmeal and get a hard, doughy mass. However if you wet the oats with water before adding to the hot milk, you will get the perfect consistency!!

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, oatmeal-kabobs, oatmeal creole, oatmeal gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple oatmeal, lemon oatmeal, coconut oatmeal, pepper oatmeal, oatmeal soup, oatmeal stew, oatmeal salad, oatmeal and potatoes, oatmeal burger, oatmeal sandwich

Imo, warm oatmeal tastes better, but overnight is way more convenient in the morning.

For overnight oats I use:
>1 small mason jar
>50g steel cut oats
>milk to just above the oats
>a spoonful of peach flavored Greek yogurt
>crushed walnuts
>sliced almonds
>raisins
>dried cranberries

Use whatever dried fruit you like or add fresh fruit in the morning. I do really recommend the nuts though.

It's not bad, and super fucking filling. Can get really boring though.

If I do make oatmeal it's usually in the oven.

milk
slivered (pref toasted) almonds
steelcut oats
apple slices
cinnamon
mix in a dutch oven and ovenize until done

Can you make oatmeal in any rice cooker, or should you get one with a porridge option?

Do you like any other grains like corn or wheat or barley?

I'm curious why you do that in the oven. Wouldn't a pan on the range top be faster and use less energy? What is the reason for choosing the oven instead?

Thanks for the recipe, will try it out.

Yes, please provide some more details. The oats-in-oven idea is really interesting.

don't have a rice cooker, so just standard pots, pans and oven. But yes, recipes, ideas and tips with all kinds of grains are welcome.

5 tbsp oatmeal with a little water. rest for 30 min.
1 tbsp linseed
1 apple cut into small pieces
1 mashed banana
some raisins
some nuts
3 tbsp. greek yogurt

serve 2

I like steel cut oats. I toast them in the pan with butter first, then cook them with water. At the end I mix in natural peanut butter, a mashed banana, a handful of raspberries (frozen are fine) and some coffee cream. It's my almost daily breakfast. Takes a little over 20 minutes to cook, but it's worth it to me.

My girlfriend does this on the reg, she's a night nurse but she says the same exact thing, doesn't look like much but you wont feel hungry for about 5-6 hours.

What's the best way to incorporate coffee taste into my porridge lads?

you get the tasty roasted surface, less chance of the milk burning and you don't need to watch or stir it. Takes more time though.

I do a variation of this I think. Without the sugar or bothering to pre-bake the apples.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/cinnamon-apple-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html

I tried making oatmeal using fresh brewed coffee instead of water, didn't really liked the taste even when it sounded like a good idea.

Baking oatmeal can produce a nice crumble.

half cup oats
enough milk to cover oats
little cinnamon
bit of vanilla
half a hand full of raisins and pecan pieces

I put a spoonful of almond meal in my latest one just to see how it would turn out for the fuck of it

Has anyone here besides me actually tried Tsampa? How did you like it?

Bump for some more oat recipes

>50 grams of oats
>water
>a scoop of Optimum Nutrition® Gold Standard® 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream™
>mix
>wala

basic is better in my opinion.
sweetener, spice, dairy. all you need.

youtu.be/y6TChwIx6T8

Brother, let me tell you something. Many a day I have lumbered here by this fence and looked at this world. These fences which border this small plot of mud seem to be the edges of the Earth. But I have gazed many beyond the fence. I have watched the hills of green and the tall, slim, terrifying figures who lurk and haunt the strange barn on the far side of the hill, who appear as spectres as the sun rises at the break of day and refill the Oats, and float away without a word. Often I wonder why we are not like them, why we cannot give ourselves the oats, why we are limited and chained down by the girth of our bodies and the uselessness of our hooves. And indeed for many years this sad truth, that forever we would be trapped in this shallow frame , alone, and without purpose or direction, banished forever to wallow in our own filth, this depressed me. But yesterday I realized something. Who are we to be ungrateful for existence in the first place? Who are we to say that this life is not good enough? Instead of oblivion we have the warmth of the sun and the coolness of soil. We have fair conversations and a good night's sleep. Who am I to say that these simple comforts are no better than death? Should we not smile like the sun and bask in our happiness as the sunlight warms the soil without question or thank. So brother, let us share oats and smile and frolick as much as our girth might let us. Let us see this pen not as a prison or a hell but as a palace in which we might enjoy the best our existence has to offer. Give me some oats brother, and let us dine together. I love you.... my own flesh and blood, my brother.

Amaranth porridge with strawberries is simple but pretty great.

Half cup of oats boiled in a cup of water until nearly all the water is absorbed. Pour on top of half a green apple, cubes and in bowl. Mix and microwave for two minutes. Cinnamon on top and mix. Spice up whole banana and mix in. Microwave for 1 minute. Take out and stir. Microwave for another minute. Put in a handful of blueberries. Mix in and microwave for a minute or two.

Best served cold.

I'm a dessert whore, so I always make either chocolate or gingerbread oatmeal in the morning.
It isn't even all that unhealthy due to the fact that I use cocoa powder rather than shoving in a bar of chocolate, and I use milk and molasses to sweeten it along with cinnamon and whatever other spices I feel like.
Preference is to throw a banana and some natty peanut butter on top, but I'll take whatever fruit I can get.
To top the gingerbread oatmeal, I'll pour some syrup on top and add some almonds.