Egg General

Just made and ate my first ever omelette and it was fucking delicious. After being told my whole life by my parents that I'm allergic to eggs I found out it was some bullshit over reaction they had to a rash I got as a kid. Post your best egg recipes so I can practice cooking those suckers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JceGMNG7rpU
youtube.com/watch?v=u8QIDHla6iA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How the hell did you manage to go 18+ years without eating eggs

Poached eggs are probably the hardest to do; over easy over medium over hard are all easy.

Make scrambled in a sauce pan, not a saute pan.

There's different schools of practice on hard boiled eggs so I'm not even going to get into it.

Scrambled eggs need to be continuously stirred like a risotto. Add salt near the end, otherwise it denatures the protein/yolk. Add butter after cracking the egg into the pot/pan and heating/stirring it for a bit, not before.

Deviled eggs is some of the most delicious food.

You can make breakfast burritos on Sunday with hard boiled eggs and whichever toppings you like. Freeze them individually and then defrost them in the morning during the week for a healthy and quick breakfast.

It's incredible how revitalizing they are too.
I was feeling exhausted and just generally out of it like half an hour ago and after cooking up some eggs I'm energized and I just feel good.
Like peanut allergies would suck, but I feel truly sorry for anyone who has legitimate egg allergies.

Pro tip for poaching an egg, my good anons: put some cling film in a mug, crack the egg in it, seal the cling film at the top then boil it for 3 minutes.

Enjoy your melted plastics.

If you can't make eggs Benedict on command, including fresh English muffins, you aren't shit.

Going to try a breakfast burrito using an omelette since the shapes are concentric.
This is my next experiment, then a fritatta.

get a high quality 7-8" nonstick pan for cooking eggs and thank me later.

Yes, you can use cast iron or carbon steel if you want.

Just wait until you make a burger and put a fried egg on it.

>on command
hope you don't mind waiting a day for "fresh english muffins"

>Add salt near the end, otherwise it denatures the protein/yolk

>Poached eggs are probably the hardest to do

when will this meme die

literally drop an egg into simmering water for 4 minutes.

This is going to come off as a real dumb question but I was thinking this earlier today- would adding sour cream to my egg mixture for scrambled eggs or even an omelette be a bad idea?

Not at all. Some people prefer the flavor. In scrambled eggs, just add it in towards the end, so that you don't burn the dairy.

No, not at all. Many, many people add milk or creme fraiche to their scrambled eggs, usually at the end because it stops the cooking process and prevents them overcooking themselves before they're served. I'd accomplish the same thing, just with a different flavor.

Try using achiote oil for your eggs, too.

>Make scrambled in a sauce pan, not a saute pan.

no

>Scrambled eggs need to be continuously stirred like a risotto.

no

>Add salt near the end, otherwise it denatures the protein/yolk.

no

> Add butter after cracking the egg into the pot/pan and heating/stirring it for a bit, not before.

no

why do SO MANY people love to promote old wives tales they've never personally tested about cooking? it's retarded.

scrambled eggs are just eggs that are moved around/broken up as they cook. it's not fucking rocket surgery

(to fry your eggs in.)

i'll pass on your shit dry spongey scrambled eggs

if you are one of those fucks who swears by 'the ramsay method' and always serves up the same fine granular eggs for any application that are grey with pepper, cold and took half an hour, you can fucking kill yourself

there are millions of different ways to make eggs and the one dependable factor is the judgement of the cook.

Lazy Amerifat detected, trying to defend minimum effort.

because the difference in effort between 'make a bunch of arbitrary trivial decisions because some tv chef said it once' and 'don't' is so huge

No shit it's preference. OP asked for suggestions, anons gave them, your autism flared up.
None of the techniques you quoted are in any way "wives' tales", regardless of whether you would prefer to eat your eggs that way.

They don't take more than two hours. Plan ahead, desu.

>None of the techniques you quoted are in any way "wives' tales"

yes they are. they are fraudulent advisements on how to make good eggs. salting doesn't harm them. butter in the pan before they go in doesn't harm them. stirring them intermittently doesn't necessarily harm them. using a skillet doesn't harm them.

>yes they are. they are fraudulent advisements on how to make good eggs

Kek.

Stop listening to David Icke. Faggot, there's no conspiracy here.

Hey op, your thread made me hungry, so I went and made an omelette. Mild cheddar and smoked turkey kielbasa.

you have a deeply uncritical and aerated mind

>crack egg low in a saucepan of simmering water (not boiling ffs!) Medium heat.
>fucking stir the water so the white wraps around the yolk
>fish it out after 1 to 2 minutes
You're welcome.

youtube.com/watch?v=JceGMNG7rpU
This one is very good

Also good: bring water in a pan to a rolling boil, turn fire off, gently release the egg into the water, cover the pan and wait 3-6 minutes depending on how well you want it cooked

No vinegar, swirling, or cling wrap necessary

Long, green, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno peppers (both fresh) with a touch of salt and cracked black pepper and ev olive oil makes for a fucking good omelette that really brings out the egg flavour. Fry up some sliced pork loin with lemon juice and salt to go with it, if you want a big meal.

I also sometimes make "green eggs" by dicing a ton of fresh coriander into much, throwing it into some whisked eggs with salt and black pepper and stirring constantly on a REALLY low heat until it scrambles.

Apart from that, grated potato, diced onions, cayenne pepper, a tiny bit of english chedder, s+bp, all fried up with a ton of unwhisked eggs is a fucking awesome breakfast, especially with bacon.

Shit, I want eggs now.

Sounds good, I'll try adding in meat the next time I make an omelette. Need to practice my folds, ended up folding both sides for a rectangular omelette instead of the originally planned half fold. Looked pretty though.
Will try making frittatas next, thinking pepper and onion or spinach and feta. Picked up some good tips from replies so far.

Not sure about the other two, but not stirring enough will give you big slabs of egg. You don't necessarily have to stir constantly, but you do have to be careful. Same with the pan, too much surface area means most of the egg will be too close to the heat, and you'll end up with a broken omelette instead of scrambled eggs.

But you're right, it's all about judgment. I personally like mine done a little more than Ramsay's, but not by much, and I use course pepper to avoid ending up with grey eggs.

Seen some cunt use a sieve to remove the outer layer of the white before poaching. Recommended?

You're supposed to stir the water for that shape and yolk protection, mate.

>poaching
>rolling boil
Troll or just stupid?

He said turn the stove off, so it's probably no longer a rolling boil by the time you put your eggs in there.

But yeah, it would be retarded to put the eggs into water that was actively boiling at that moment.

Think it was implied by "turn fire off" that the water would reduce from a rolling boil to a simmer, not sure.

I tried making the Veeky Forums "fisherman's eggs" with great success, even though I just mushed the ingredients together in a pan. It was the best goop I've made, and really simple as well! Great for a really fucking quick snack.

Post recipe then please

Don't have it on hand, but google "Veeky Forums fisherman's eggs" and the first picture that comes up

Daily reminder that if you ever add milk, or god forbid water, to any form of eggs you should off yourself immediately.

meh, i like to use some sparkling water when making scrambled eggs and there's nothing you can do to stop me

I feel for you op. I too had to deal with bullshit allergies as a kid. Citric (witch is what I actually had an allergic reaction to), tomatoes, and chocolate. I broke free of my food prison when I was 12yo.

This man is the culinary god.

youtube.com/watch?v=u8QIDHla6iA

Sparkling water? As in fucking carbonated?
Literally what?

>not using sprite to counterbalance the bitterness of the eggs
stay pleb

>carbonated?
you heard me right, it adds fluffyness
>bitterness of the eggs
buy better eggs

>not mixing some milk and eggs in a jug before scrambling them for the most supreme scrambled egg

Am I the only one who thinks scrambled eggs are disgusting? I mean the ones you cook 'classically', low and slow until it becomes gooey

Reminder that the BEST scrambled eggs are made with milk

>literally being such a pussy you can't handle the flavour of straight egg and NEED to water it down
How do you be this retarded? Scrambled eggs made with milk are borderline inedible they're so garbage.
The low, slow and gooey is pretty far from 'classic'. You're right about it being disgusting though.

>>>>>borderline inedible
How does it feel to be so wrong about one of the easiest meals to make you ponce

I'm not sure, I'm not the one doing the most pleb practice in all of cooking, that literally any professional cook would tell you off for doing.

>hurr I cook mah eggs straight liek a real man it's strong flavor u pussy
U wot. Eggs aren't excessively bitter or something. Milk just makes them creamier.
>adding milk to eggs make them inedible
You're a shitty troll

And yet they come out consistently tasty every time
Why should I feel the need to abide by "professional" chefs ways of cooking eggs if mine are always great

No, what it does it water them down and make them flavourless, nothing more.
Because they taste like shit and you're an idiot for thinking they're even passable.

No, it milks them down. Dumbass.

Seriously though who the fuck do you think you are, Chef Ramsey? Get the fuck outta here

>The low, slow and gooey is pretty far from 'classic'.

no it's not

that's the classical french method

>a couple tbsp of milk with 6 eggs is going to water them down

cmon, man. you can make better bait than that.

God damn that's comfy.

I've recently perfected my omelette technique.

1/2 tbsp butter in a cold pan on medium-low heat
Beat 2 eggs with with the following:
Seasoned rice vinegar
Salt
Red pepper flakes
Pour the egg mixture in the pan as it's still heating up and allow the bottom portion to cook.
When the top is just about to finished begin to roll it over on itself to create an egg roll.
Brown each side and serve.

Come out sweet, savory, slightly salty, fluffy and rich.

The temperature is the hardest part.

Especially on non-gas stoves.

Just made some scrambled eggs. I was going for an omelette, but I screwed it up so I ended up scrambling it and throwing in some cheese.

I have a question though:
Can I add water AND milk to the eggs before dumping it in or am I only allowed to choose one?
I want to make it fluffier with the water, but "tastier" with the milk.

You can add both as long as you don't overall water it down too much.

How do I get scrambled eggs perfectly yellow?
Mine always come out with white bits, I'm using fresh eggs.
Pic related: my eggs

Eggs are one of the easiest to cook foods out there;

>Poached

Get the water simmering in a reasonably sized sauce pan, add nothing to it, crack and drop egg in just above the water, not from a height like a tard. If you do it gently enough the white will wrap around the yoke by itself, removing any need to stir the water like a crack addict. Use slotted spoon to remove from water. Drain. Season

>Boiled

Not even bothering on this one. Let eggs come up to room temp first if you don't want the shell to crack, if you even bother about that sort of thing.

>Scrambled

Medium sized non stick frying pan, use 3 eggs per person and a knob of proper butter (Not spread, which is mostly veg oil) Crack eggs into pan, add knob of butter, and then start the cooking on a medium-low heat. Stir gently but constantly, until the eggs get to the desired firmness. DONT add in cream or any of that shit to them to "stop the cooking", you'll end up with a runny paste, definitely not good scrambled eggs. Season with pepper. Why not salt? You should be using slated butter at the start, so they shouldn't need it. They also don't need any oil in at the start, for obvious reasons.

>Fried - 2 methods

Again medium sized non-stick, medium low heat, olive oil, let it come to temp. Use any oil you want but i prefer olive. Crack in eggs. When the whites begin to set at the bottom pour a small bit of water in the pan, cover with a lid (Plate or something will do) And cook for about a minute. This steams the top of the eggs perfectly setting the white while leaving the yolk runny. However, it will whiten the top of the yolk. Season on the plate.

Next method, the smallest frying pan you reasonably can, again medium low heat, oil, up to temp, crack eggs in, leave to cook. The yolk will stay yellow but this method is slower than the one above, you can also burn the bottom of them if they take too long to set at the top, so be careful. Season

That's all i can be bothered to type at the moment.

The white spots are eggwhites, just mix the eggs longer

>Scrambled eggs need to be continuously stirred like a risotto. Add salt near the end, otherwise it denatures the protein/yolk.

Sounds like you got this from that Gordon Ramsey video.

How did you find out that you weren't actually allergic to eggs? Did you try to suicide by omelet?

>Goodbye, cruel world!
>...
>This is actually quite delicious.
>They lied to me!

lemme add something about boiling, the best method is to put the eggs in, bring the water to a boil, and then take it off the heat, cover, and leave it alone for about 8-10 minutes for hard-boiled (time approximate)

comes out super soft and nice, it's different from just keeping the heat on

This is accurate. They come out perfect everytime.

I had to take a yellow fever shot for my job, which could have caused side effects if I was allergic to eggs. So before getting the shot I tried a little scrambled eggs that my room mate made to confirm my allergy but nothing fucking happened.

I don't think i'm allergic to anything, how did you go so long without eating eggs? Surely you would have bumped into them by now.

what do you guys add to your omelets other than cheese or bacon? I'd like to start making more but i don't know what to add

>savory
red bell pepper
broccoli
brussel sprouts
onions
spring onions
jalapenos

>sweet
berry mix
strawberries
blueberries
egg nog
crushed macaroons

Try red bells, greens are OK, yellows are shit, oranges are pretty close to shit.
Onions (sautee all this first)
Broccoli (cooked)
Ham, pepperoni maybe
Brain deactivated, out of ideas

you can just fry up some small chunks of potato and then cook them into the omelette. Needs some flavouring usually, but it's not bad.

That's not ideal, best to keep the taters out if you're going to fry them and opt for other ingredients in the omelet.
However the taste is fine.

I guess this is techincally a fritatta rather than an omelet, but I often fry up some potatoes, bacon, bell peppers, maybe some leftover veggies or meat cut into small pieces, etc, first. Once that's cooked I add beaten eggs to the pan and cook until it's just set.

>fry up some potatoes
raw or pre cooked?

not the OP but it's much better to pre cook them for a bit, if you can be bothered

I would advise against mixing with a spatula.

For scrambled, I mix with a fork before adding to the pan to the point where its bubbly then I use a wooden fork when in the pan, stirring constantly until ready.

Pure yellow.

Onions
Potatos
Bell peppers
Chorizo
Herbs
Ham/chicken/fish
Carrots
Sweetcorn (for some)
Tomatoes

Trick is to treat it like a pizza.

I bet shredded hashbrowns might be pretty dank

is there anything wrong with that?

gonna do omelet tonight. im gonna put paprika and cheese in it. gief seasoning recomendations??

Listen carefully because this is very important advice. Lots of people think cooking is all about complicated recipes, big cookbooks and arduous effort. Really it's more of an innate thing.

Learning to cook is much more simple, so pay close attention to what I'm going to say. Are you listening?

Fry an egg and experiment with various seasoning. This will give you an idea of what flavours go well together which is the most important quality in cooking. Fry an egg, cut it in quarter, season each quarter differently. Try one with cayenne and, I dunno, chives? Just experiment with lots of seasoning combinations.

Then fry another egg and repeat the process. Keep frying eggs and experimenting until you get a good idea of what works. You can eat 3-4 eggs in a day, heck you're from Veeky Forums so probably 6+. If you eat 6 eggs in a day, that's 24 egg quarters, 24 seasoning combinations in a day. You're talkng about 1000 seasoning combinations in just over a month.

At this stage you'll be a spicemaster and what/how you cook wont matter because you'll be better at seasoning than 99% of professional chefs, and this WILL make you a good cook.

I like this pasta.

>omlette
>brown
No

Is deactivated brain like activated almonds

some chopped green onions, parsley and ham

You should try the following thing:

you cook and egg by frying it. Then, you spice one part like this and the next part in another way. You can quarter-season eggs like that and try every apice in the world

You will be a spice master in no time!

you're a little late m8

im overjoyed because of the persistance this shitty meme has. I didnt shitpost it for like a year and its still going.

It has gotten wings. I am proud of it.

Do a spinach-gruyere-bacon quiche.