Should I buy a garlic press?

Should I buy a garlic press?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HST-Stainless-Squeeze-Chopper-Crusher/dp/B010GY0KBS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Considering you have to ask, no. Just learn to use your knife

No. Buy a good knife.

Unless you're going to be pressing garlic all day, no. Get a good knife.

I have the one pictured and love it. It's a kuhn Rikon and was pretty expensive.

Any press will work, but make sure you get one that is all stainless. I've had other presses that broke after a few years because they were chromed steel.

Depends, do you need one?

>Should I buy a garlic press?
No, they're useless.

Just smack the garlic with the flat side of your knife. That peels and crushes far faster than the garlic press, and with less mess to clean up.

>because they were chromed pot-metal or aluminum

I fixed that for you.

I have one and I never use it because it takes longer to clean than anything else. If I need chopped garlic, my knife and board are already out and in use so why would you add to a pile of dishes? They work fine but the result is almost more pasty crushed garlic and juice than diced or minced. There's really no cutting edges in there, its just blunt force crushing. If that matters. But the end result is slightly different, this is just a tiny ricing tool.

Spend $1 on a jar of chopped garlic from the store. Far easier than messing with a press or a knife and its good value for money.

BEHOLD...the elusive garlic roller.

If you like mouthfuls of citric acid sure.

fuck jarred garlic. It's flavor sucks because it was cooked as part of the jarring process.

No

I don't know what the fuck this tard has been buying but you'll find citric acid is nearly any canned or preserved fruit/veg. So its of no concern.

yes

>old zyliss

my nigga

chopped garlic is packed to the brim in citric acid to the point it has a horrid nasty taste, and doesn't taste like real garlic.

Not if you can buy mashed garlic locally. I can't, and I use mine to make it.

The garlic press really makes no sense for one-off use, adding 2-3 cloves of garlic to the dish you're making at the moment. In the time it takes to get it, put the garlic in, squeeze it, remove pieces of garlic still stuck in, squeeze them, then wash it (awful work, lots of tiny hard to access corners) and put it away, you'd have the cloves finely chopped three times over.

But if you can't get garlic paste locally, you can make your own and garlic press is great for that. Squeeze good 10-30 heads of garlic, put in a clean jar with some oil, rather copious amounts of salt and optionally a little vinegar, and then, when cooking, add a teaspoon of mashed garlic instead of squeezing or chopping a fresh clove. The quality is about the same, the comfort of use is great, a small jar easily lasts you half a year, and by streamlining the work you're saving a lot of effort - and a lot of garlic, that normally is always stuck on the garlic press after you finish squeezing.

...note... if you add vinegar, expect your garlic to turn a vicious cyan-green. It's only a visual change with no impact on taste or other features, but that shit looks reaaaally weird.

no, it's a one use item that's more annoying to clean than a knife
maybe ONE situation I can think of to use it is if you've only got one hand and you're italian

What are you making ?

If you are cooking with pictured I will be very disappointment in you user

Kraft is to Parmesan
as
Cheese food is to Cheese

kek

A knife is better, you can just chop it or make a paste or whatever. Also cleaning a garlic press is a bitch, I have one but I only use it when I'm drunk or hungover.

You're a very good example of someone whose stupidity is mistaken for autism.

Go back to /b/, troll.

I always used this shit to peel nuts, called it nut crusher, why would you crush garlic.

Yes.

Most of the people will tell you no, because the
vast majority of garlic presses sold do not deliver.

Get a microplane does pretty much the same thing plus it's useful for cheese, onion, lots of other stuff. I use mine daily.

Why not just use a ricer?

All a garlic press utensil is is a small ricer...and another thing floating around your kitchen. Plus a ricer can also do mashed potatoes and other shit instead of being a 'one ingredient device'.

pizza sauce.
I like the cellulose. Makes the sauce better

Because using my knife is faster than the ricer and easier cleanup.

So I can assume you don't have a dishwasher.

I do have a dishwasher. The ricer takes up a lot of space in there. If you leave it in there folded up then it won't get properly clean, so you have to put it in there un-folded. That takes up a lot of room.

But focusing on that is missing the point. Again, the knife is faster. Just smack the garlic with the flat side of your knife. In literally one second you're done. It's peeled and crushed. You're totally done before you've even dug the ricer out of your kitchen junk drawer.

It is literally impossible to crush garlic faster with a knife than in a garlic press if you know how to use it properly and don't waste time peeling the cloves. Prove me wrong.

>put an unpeeled clove of garlic in the press
>press
>remove the peel from the press and insert the next clove

This operation takes me 2-3 seconds per clove. I seriously doubt you can do it faster with a knife.

Before I learned to cook properly I used a garlic press. Maybe this was unique to my press, but I got tiny bits of peel in the garlic unless I peeled the clove first.

With the knife method you just smack the garlic with the flat of your knife. It takes about one second. If you want big chunks then you smack it lightly. If you want it fine then you smack it harder. I'm done with the garlic before I'd even have the time to find the garlic press in my kitchen junk drawer.

Not one of those posts said it was faster

Yes.

Gets all the flavour out in a way that chopping makes impossible.

>gets more flavor

No. One secret is to put a few grains of kosher salt on the clove after you smash it. It helps to force the juices out. You can also chop it then smash again for a finer, almost paste like consistency. Many years ago I bought a press, used it a few times and said fuck this. I don't even know where it is anymore. I grow 200 bulbs of garlic a year for personal use so I should know the manual smash and chop is better.

Sorry kid, but the press is infinitely better.

I'm not sure you're ready for that kind of commitment, considering you had to ask.

>t. Garlic press sales rep

Unless you're some knife god, a press is going to be much faster.

How so? Even a sperg can put a clove of garlic on a cutting board and smash it with the flat side of his knife. Takes a second. Literally.

Want it fine? Smash hard. Want it coarse? Smash less hard.

Peeled & crushed in literally one second. How on earth is a press faster?

You spend more time picking the peel out of that then you do picking it out of a press.

I know autism prevents you from seeing anything other than yoir own opinion, but this is truth. The press is objectively faster in the process. Cleanup does not count in the process.

I just pick up the peel in one piece off the cutting board.

When I used to use a press I'd peel the clove in advance, or I'd have lots of little bits that I'd have to pick out of the press, either of which is much slower than the cutting board method.

Now maybe I had some kind of super unlucky garlic press that somehow was unusually bad about having peel stick in it, but that was my experience.

I certainly don't use the press these days. By the time I found it in my kitchen drawer I'd already be done using the knife method.

you dont peel the clove before you press it. Thats what makes a garlic press usefull....

but when I do that I get little bits of peel into my pressed garlic and stuck into the pegs and holes in the garlic press.

It's much more work to remove the bits of peel from a garlic press than it is to lift it off the cutting board using the knife method.

nah too bothersome to clean, those little holes are a bitch. learn how to do it with a knife, bobby flay has a good method that uses salt

how does it work?

do you have a zyliss?
Get a good garlic press

Yup just thinking about It makes me triggered

I have no idea what brand it was. I threw it out years ago and just use my knife now and I'm not looking back. I don't want or need a garlic press given that it takes literally one second to use my knife and there's one less thing to clean.

so you just smash the clove and that's it?

Yes, but only if you can find one like pic related.

This is the only type of garlic press I've ever found to be especially effective and worthwhile.

We use these in most of the kitchens I've worked in.

Think you can buy them on amazon desu.

amazon.com/HST-Stainless-Squeeze-Chopper-Crusher/dp/B010GY0KBS

I mean, sometimes yes, but peel it. Normally I mince it as well.

it rolls garlic

well good fer yew :-)

Add washing time of the garlic press. It has so many nooks, crannies, the small sieve filling with fibers of the garlic, you do have to wash it by hand (or you'll end up with rotten garlic in it next time you use it) and literally while pressing a clove takes like 3 seconds, you spend good two minutes washing the thing.

>Cleanup does not count in the process.

Yeah, if your mom does all the cleanup.

You stick some cloves in, roll it around and the internal blades do the rest. The difference between chopped and minced garlic is only how many times you roll it back and forth. If you've ever forgotten garlic in a dish, the appeal is genuine.

Easy to clean too. I might get a second one for spices and herbs. Pretty sure it's like $5.

just get a good grater, or even a japanese style grater
garlic presses take forever to clean and they're not really good for anything else, you will eventually stop using it once you have had to clean it every time.

a grater takes four seconds to wipe the surfaces clean

this is a joke right

i hate peeling and cutting garlic so for me it was worth $15. the model i have i can fit 3-4 cloves and don't even need to peel them. just scrape out the peel and gunk from the basket in between presses

>take forever to clean

not really. like 15 seconds.

We just use ours as a pistacchio nut cracker for those nuts with hard shells that have no opening. Otherwise it feels pretty useless desu

Just use your mortar and pestle. Bear in mind though that minced garlic has a different flavour to chopped garlic.

No. They take forever to clean and aren't that much faster than just using a knife you already have to clean anyway.

Press pictured is around $40 US. It is super easy to clean though and should last forever. Much easier to clean than the other presses I have had.

>>put an unpeeled clove of garlic in the press
>>put an unpeeled clove of garlic in the press
I sometimes wonder why I visit this Somali basket weaving board.

I'll tell you this most honestly...screw a press and use a microplane/zester.

Why bother when smashing with a knife is much faster?