Slicing bread

How thin can you possibly slice bread? I usually buy pre-sliced bread, but I'd like to alice those slices even further. I'm trying to save money on food and cut back on carbs, so any advice would be helpful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-YunztNSGBI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A good sharp chef's knife can cut bread better and more precisely than a bread knife.

I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them.

then how did you know they were there?

>I'm trying to save money on food and cut back on carbs, so any advice would be helpful.

I would advise you to stop buying bread.

I guess I just assumed.

Did they crumble?

>How thin can you possibly slice bread?
Really depends on the type of bread. Denser breads can be cut quite thinly.

a good sharp pastry chef's knife can cut bread better than a sharp chef's knife

Halfway freeze it and slice it all at once. It'll be hard but not frozen and easy to cut.

Why do you need the slices to be thinner? Can't you just cut them in half the other way?

But then there is less sandwich surface area

Yeah, density and texture play a big part. But higher density bread sliced thinner doesn't really help you avoid carbs. If you just want pleb tier mass-produced sandwich bread, Pepperidge Farm and others sell thin-sliced versions pre-cut, probably about half-thickness...any thinner and they won't hold up for a typical sandwich.

You could go with pita bread or other unleavened flatbreads, but those will be kind of expensive for the amount of food content.

I'd consider non-bread alternatives, or open face sandwiches, depending on what you're trying to make.

mickey and the beanstalk, right?

OP, if you really wanted paper-thin slices of bread (to replicate your gif, or as a garnish for a molecular gastronomy dish?) you could get that, but for best results you'd have to bake a special loaf. Low hydration, strong flour, lean dough, and preferably baked in a covered bread tin to keep crust to an absolute minimum.

If you freeze bread and then use a deli slicer or similar device you can get pretty much paper thin bread slices. Wouldn't be much use for typical bread applications anymore, but OK for wrapping things or making bread crusts on proteins or whatnot.

Just smush the flat.
Bam.

OP see related
youtube.com/watch?v=-YunztNSGBI

not op but yup

I jus tcut them relatively thin and then thin them up more in my pasta machine.

You could try baking flatbread/pancakes or something.
Flour is cheap.

They sell thin slice bread but it's way overpriced

Yeah, but OP is trying to cut back on carbs. Can't you read?

You missed, bud.

Then why is he eating bread? It's a she isn't it?

The worst thing about the US is that you're stuck buying sliced bread that is WAY too thin to fit in those shitty toasters or buying unsliced loaves. It was awesome in Asia, you could buy bread based on the number of slices you wanted since most bread came in the same size blocks just sliced differently. Sandwiches need a different thickness than toast

But bread is the carbs.
At least they can eat something a bit more healthy.

i bake my own bread an i use a bread knife to cut slices but its always uneven and too thick. how do people slice bread?

How can bread be real if our eyes aren't real?

I use a bread knife.

I've never had a problem with cutting the bread inconsistently, but if you are then you can always get a bread knife that has a guide on it. Pic related.

really interesting device, i've never seen something like this. but for cutting good bread slices, there are a few tips. like not looking at the actual place where your knife is cutting the bread, but looking at the point where the knife will arrive after you've cut the bread. i don't know if everyone will know what i mean, it's a little like driving your car. don't just look a few meters ahead of you but a few lengths in the distance where you're driving to

There are all sorts of variations on that design. Pic related is another one.

I'm not sure why such a thing would be needed, but they do indeed exist!

Bought a bread maker years ago and went through a few months of obsession. Mom got me an electric bread knife. Much like the popcorn maker, the immersion blender/food processor and that avocado tool, largely useless, but well intended mom.

When cutting baguettes, I noticed they tended to fall apart when cutting them too rough.

That's when I realized flipping the baguette upside down fixed this.

>the immersion blender

While I agree with you about the rest of your list, since when in an immersion blender largely useless? I use my blender several times a week. It has a zillion uses.

What is it useful for besides soups?

Mashed potatoes. Salsa. Guac. All kinds of sauces. Alcoholic drinks. Smoothies. Thickening a dish (stew, beans, etc.) by blending a small portion only. Pesto, whipped cream, dissolving salt when making a brine for meat, etc.

Mashed potatoes turn out horrible if you rape them with an immersion blender. They must be done by hand with a proper masher, and maybe a sieve to get rid of the chunks.

>I'm trying to save money on food
loaf of bread is around 30p

You must learn to pulse, grasshoppah.

Though honestly I think a ricer makes the best mashed potatoes

Just buy tortillas then

making mayo

you could make smoothies with it, or salsa

anything you need to blend user