Stephen Wolfram

Is he cool?

Personal Analytics[edit]
The significance data has on the products Stephen creates transfers into his own life. He has an extensive log of personal analytics - including emails received and sent, key strokes made, meetings and events attended, phone calls, even physical movement dating back to the 1980s. He has stated "[personal analytics] can give us a whole new dimension to experiencing our lives"[66]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Wolfram

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=11 / sin (pi/7) = 1/sin((2pi)/7) + 1/sin((3pi)/7)
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=csc(pi/7) = csc(2pi/7) + csc(3pi/7)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's an egomaniac who is without a doubt very intelligent. Nevertheless, he spends so much time sniffing his own farts that he's likely not gonna be all that influential in the grand scheme of things, despite the fact that he claims to have made "a new kind of science"

Thanks to him I made it all the way to differential equations

He's a badass. Inspirational genius, there will not be another like him.

The missing link between the academic department megalomaniac, and the academic crank

His book sucks, don't even feel like typing my full opinion of it.. He just really doesn't bring much new to the table.

A hearty kek was had

He fails to make cellular automata useful.
Yet he wrote: A New Kind of Science.
Mochizuki invented new math and solved abc with it.

yeah i started reading nks, it wasn't anything new. He was basically just jacking off to pretty pictures and hypothesizing about the future of science. I like the material, but it isn't new its just fun to duplicate some of the examples in matlab and cellular automata are fun to play with. I wish he had actually used them to simulate some real physical phenomenon and get real results not just compare the pictures and describe how it looks.

>finally, after all these years, I too have developed A New Kind if Science
Really?

When you look at his work and compare it to all that Conway/Hopcroft/Aho have done for the field (just to take a few random big names) he has basically added nothing of true value.

Cyclical tagging systems and rule 110 are actually really cool, but completely useless toys(useless in that none of the ones he is personally actually responsible for add anything that you can't do just as well with a different CA ruleset that was already made!). And if we want to get technical he didn't even really invent them!

Met somebody (let's call him Prof. X) at a conference who had a hilarious story about Wolfram and his egomania:

Prof X. presents as a corollary of one of his works the identity:

11 / sin (pi/7) = 1/sin(2pi/7) + 1/sin(3pi/7)

Wolfram, being in the audience, says "this is what is wrong with Mathematics today... such a result would be trivially proven on Mathematica..." so Wolfram does FullSimplify and it doesn't work, so he goes on another diatribe: "This is the other thing that's wrong with Mathematics today, people don't bother numerically checking their results and end up publishing things which are obviously wrong!!"... so he numerically approximates the difference and gets 0.000000...

Now it turns out that the next version of Mathematica had this identity, but NOT the version after that (Prof X. suspects that somebody artificially added in this identity and then when the developer for the latter version saw it he deleted it, suspecting that it is unnecessary as obviously their algorithms should be able to handle it).

>11 / sin (pi/7) = 1/sin(2pi/7) + 1/sin(3pi/7)
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=11 / sin (pi/7) = 1/sin((2pi)/7) + 1/sin((3pi)/7)

Those aren't even close to being equal.

Ah he put an extra 1 in there

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=csc(pi/7) = csc(2pi/7) + csc(3pi/7)

a lot of the physics faculty at UIUC think he's an asshole, that's all I know

kek

i'm a potato, care to explain?

Just wow. It is difficult to believe this is real.

most physicists are butthurt about Wolfram because 90% of them are total brainlets in comparison to him and the other 10% are penniless and unsuccessful compared to him.

He's a crackpot scientist who takes credit for everything (The New Kind Of Science Im Presenting To You Here That I Discovered Alone And Can Be Used For Everything) but gives credit to no one.
Also Mathematica is a piece of shit for anything but symbolic manipulation, aka undergrad calc homeworks.

Sorry about the typo, it is supposed to be, as pointed out by others:

1 / sin (pi/7) = 1/sin(2pi/7) + 1/sin(3pi/7)

I saw Stephen Wolfram at a grocery store in London yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, and that I was an engineer and would love to suck his cock, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and thrusting cellular automata in my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him stop and fart, then smell his own fart as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen packs of girly tampons in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those fucking tampons.” At first he kept pretending to be calculating differential equations and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the tampons and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any Barnett integral infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each tampon and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by shitting his own pants very loudly.

Hi Stephen