What's the scariest brain problem you can acquire and why is it aphasia?

What's the scariest brain problem you can acquire and why is it aphasia?

>have stroke
>suddenly everyone's spoken words turn into meaningless noises
>try to tell someone what happened but can't because your brain doesn't supply you with verbal thought anymore

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/personal-experiences-2026-a-weird-brain-anomaly-took-my-imagination-away.html
scientificamerican.com/article/new-alzheimer-s-drug-clears-milestone-in-human-clinical-trial1/
ted.com/talks/martin_pistorius_how_my_mind_came_back_to_life_and_no_one_knew
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Real depression, not the I'M SO SAD XDDDx10^99

>You literally stop being intelligent or creative (neccesary shit for Mathfags)
>You have suicidal thoughts and you could kill yourself anytime
>You stop studying, get fat and lose brain gains
Literally Veeky Forums's worst nightmare except killing themselves since sometimes stress fucks the average Veeky Forumsentist

It's some terrifying shit. And you don't even need to stroke out to experience it. It can occur during a migraine aura for a couple of minutes. Had my first episode of aura about a year and half ago and those couple of minutes of being totally unable to communicate were the most terrifying of my life.

Hows about aphantasia. Literally having no imagination.

cracked.com/personal-experiences-2026-a-weird-brain-anomaly-took-my-imagination-away.html

Yeah, not exactly the most academic of sources, but it's a neat read.

I'm genetically predisposed for Alzheimer's supposedly. That would suck ass, seeing your own mind fade away. I'll probably commit suicide if I am ever diagnosed.

Alzheimer sucks. It would be great if they had a way to effectively combat and eliminate it in 10 years.

It's probably severe schizophrenia

I won't get my hopes up, but that would be really awesome and would prolong a lot of lives.

If you remember to

Being a brainlet, but only so much that you realize that you are.

How about locked in syndrome? Fully aware of your surroundings, but unable to move and therefore unable to communicate that you are in fact not in a coma or vegetative state. This can go on for literally years before it's discovered that you've been conscious this entire time.

scientificamerican.com/article/new-alzheimer-s-drug-clears-milestone-in-human-clinical-trial1/

guys, there's hope

How about cluster headaches?

>described as the worst pain imaginable
>you can get several of these a day and they last over an hour
>causes are unknown
>there is no cure

>headaches
>brain problem
nope

Holy shit. I've always been fucked up about the idea of paralysis during surgery. The anesthesia didn't fully work, so you're still conscious even though you can't move, and the surgeons are fucking around with your insides the whole time.

>paralysis during surgery
This has actually been reported in some people. Fortunately, it's very rare. It's called unintended intra-operative awareness, and is distinct from locked in syndrome in terms of its pathogenesis.

STOP TRYING TO SCARE ME

The case of Clive Wearing comes to mind, extreme retrograde and anterograde amnesia to the point where he has no working memory, he keeps a diary where every 5 minutes it says things like "awake for the first time" "finally awake" "now I'm truly awake", but he has no memory of writing those events down so there are literally pages of him writing each day but no memory of writing those statements down just minutes before. He has a working procedural memory so he can function normally but 0 working memory. Truly frightening.

>0 working memory
His WM was fine, otherwise he wouldn't even be able to produce a coherent sentence. I think you mean short-term memory.

Actually there is a cure, psilocybin.

> stop being intelligent
I use math books as a major distraction from my problems so I don't think that's very true.
Never been creative anyway

>stop being intelligent or creative
Based on how many successful artists were supposedly depressed when they did their best work I think I'm calling bullshit on this.

Derealization

any mean stroke consequence desu.

> go to talk organised by chair
> notice the postdoc which lectures have been held by substitutes all term, no reason given
> notice he walks odd, speaks up way too loud in Q/A, sounds drunk
> realize the rumours of him having a stroke before
> seemingly not contributin, just invited since Prof is decent human being

don't know if only his speech was impaired or more facilities, but still a terrifying thought. Guy was in his 30ies.

That's funny shit user, thank you.

You type like you had a stroke.

this
ted.com/talks/martin_pistorius_how_my_mind_came_back_to_life_and_no_one_knew

It's none of these. The scariest brain condition is fatal familial insomnia, or if you're going to be pedantic and insist on acquired conditions, sporadic fatal insomnia.

It can be detected, but there are no preventative measures. It can occur at any point in your life. There is no cure. It is always fatal. From over to death may take between several months and several years.

After onset you begin to suffer from insomnia. When you can sleep it is not restful. Your brain cannot enter SWS or REMS. Sleep deprivation carries several symptoms. Anxiety, paranoia, and hallucinations are inevitable. After a period of months you simply stop sleeping. Dementia and psychosis set in. Your body cries out for sleep but your brain is incapable of allowing it. You become unresponsive, perpetually on the brink of sleep that will not come. When you die it could almost be seen as relief. You have finally found the rest you craved.

I get them.
It hurts but it's only temporary.

That's the least scary condition, it gives you months or even years in advance to buy a gun and commit suicide any time you want and doesn't hinder your ability to go out and do that.

It's easily Alzheimer's. Your neurons need serotonin in order to be activated but when you have Alzheimer's serotonin get recycled before reaching the neurons.

if you want to sit up and click a button on the remote, guess what you can't. You are frozen wanting to do the action. This is not even late stage.

>if you want to sit up and click a button on the remote, guess what you can't. You are frozen wanting to do the action.

That happened to me a lot back when I went through my "abusing large quantities of benadryl so I could get high without having to interact with other people" phase in college.

Doxylamine, benadryl and many other anticholinergic or anti histamine drugs increade your chances of Alzheimer's(like 20%). Bin those sleeping pills now.

I'm healthy now, I only abuse research chemicals from the internet.

Retard. I hope you end up in a loony bin or rehab cell. They may not cause harm note but in 20 years your brain will suddenly stop working properly. Please journal your drugs so we can classify the effects later on