Shark Finn Soup

So I was told by someone this is one of the best soups you can get and definitely the best Chinese soup.

What does Veeky Forums think of it? I've never tried it

Don't fucking do it. Save the sharks you cunt. It's just gelatinous water.

If you want good chink food try Sichuan or Cantonese cuisine

It's pretty flavorless and primarily consumed for superstitious reasons. The imitation shark finn soup has way more flavor according to just about anyone you ask

t. Spent a semester in HK

Isn't it Cantonese cuisine Shark finn?

Interesting, I was told it was 10/10 soup

Its one of those foods thats fine, but is mostly worth eating just to piss off white girls. I've had it a couple times and it was fine. It was better than whale but whale is just shitty beef.

I think I'll get Chinese today and try it. Why does it piss off white girls? Its just food

Because they cut off the shark fin and throw it back to die, it's wasteful and inhumane.

what are you a vegan?

Didn't Gordon Ramsay do a whole thing about it? He said it was pretty bland and the only thing good about the soup was the stock which wasn't shark stock

Its bland as shit and mostly tasteless. Honestly, we just eat it cuz its expensive.

Apparently it was Kim Jong Il's favorite food

I've heard the soup itself is good but the shark fin is just gelatinous and flavorless, contributing nothing to the dish. So you might as well eat shark fin soup without the shark fin.

I have heard the texture is nice and adds to the soup experience

Its a fine soup. Stop hyping it up. Its like tomato soup. It taste good, but if suddenly you were never allowed to eat it again you wouldn't cry

if you want the same thing without the animal maiming, why not go for bird nest soup? same texture, but its bird spit instead

Fuck off you shark dick sucking Greenpeace faggot.
Not all sharks are endangered. If fishermen weren't fucking faggots they could be harvested sustainably. Same goes for whales.

It's okay, I guess. It's a traditional Chinese soup. Try it once if it's on the menu and you're at a nice dim sum place, but it's not worth seeking out. Plus ethics and shit.

Why not both?

I like it. Nice texture.

Fucking pissed off my Greenpeace, whale-hugging fiance though when it was served at my cousin's wedding.

>mfw you're marrying a chink
>mfw I am that chink
>mfw I have no face

The verdict seems to be only Asians like it. Do all your family eat it? How would you describe it to someone who has never tried it before?

Fibrous, a little crunch if you bite into it but gives away easily since it has been boiled in a soup. It's basically pure cartilage.

My family eats it if offered, my SO has actually made some convincing arguments to my mother about the subject and has actually convinced her not to serve it at every special occasion. My siblings don't care for it and eat it begrudgingly if they must as to not show ungratefulness.

Yup. It's literally Chinese Emperor meme food.

Being where we are, I think this is the best succinct description.

>Asians is one group with all the same taste
But you'll shit bricks if someone said that midwestern, British, and French food were all the same shit

>shark finn soup
>shark finn
>finn

Please don't eat the meme masters

Its a general statement just like all Brits drink tea

What if you were hindu and told your SO that her eating beef is bad?

If I could present s logical arguments she'd take it into consideration.

ive heard it tastes like nothing at all.

>make fish stock
>put some gelatine sheets in
>eat the sheets before they dissolve
Same experience.

Blame hollywood for making the shark fin globally iconic.

These chinks are cretinous ants who will get obsessed with such imagery then start to exterminate sharks because they are incapable of free thought, moral considerations, animal welfare concerns and just general critical reasoning.

Why the fuck would you go through all the trouble of catching a shark and cutting off it's fin just to throw it back in
That's the equivalent of raising rabbits just for their feet.

Because the fins are worth a shitton of money and the rest of the shark isnt even good for catfood

Chink here. I like the soup, but the shark fin has no actual taste and you can make the soup yourself at home if you want to.

Don't people eat flake fish from sharks?

Is homemade as good as shark fin from an actual Chinese restaurant?

Shark fin is completly tastelest and has a rubbery soft texture.
The broth is pretty good but thats with any asian soup with some history behind it.
Supposedly its really good for the skin and for detoxing, western medicine has tested the effects and they are virtually non existent.

Its not worth it, I still feel bad having tried it.
Poor sharkbros.

i ate that during a family marriage and i pretty much stopped eating it after 2 spoon, it's just not good,
i would have prefered a regular vegetable soup over this.

>Why the fuck would you go through all the trouble of catching a shark and cutting off it's fin just to throw it back in
because chinks are dumb as mud

But they aren't sustainably harvested. So that's the problem

It won't make your tiny yellow dick bigger user

She still gonna get blacked.com after the wedding

Yes, and sometimes even better, since all of the flavours come from a few simple ingredients instead of the shark's fin itself.

Please don't project your white cucking fantasies on me.

So it would taste the same without the shark fin?

The rest of the shark is edible. Shark meat is available in a lot of Japanese grocery stores. Its not the best fish but its fine.

There is way to get the message through without sounding like a giant faggot

>So it would taste the same without the shark fin?

The Chinese eat shark's fin not for the taste, but for the TEXTURE. The gelatinous sort of texture is highly valued in Asia. Same reason why they pay crazy money for swallow's nest, sea cucumbers, or bear paws.

I've tried shark and it was awful. Had a strange taste and texture.

What region are you from? I'm pretty sure you can only get shark fin soup in China

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I live in Texas. I've seen shark fin for sale in many of the Asian markets I've visited. I've never bought it myself, but it's certainly available outside of China.

Theres a process when preparing the shark fin though
You can't just throw it into the pot and eat it

>Theres a process when preparing the shark fin though

Yes, I know. I've read it in several cookbooks.

My point is that if the fin is available for sale then it's obviously possible to get the soup:

First off, if there is demand for the fin itself then surely there is demand for the finished dish. There are certainly some chinese restaurants that serve it. The average American-Chinese places won't, but the ones in "Chinatown" that cater to an actual Chinese customer base? Some of those will have it.

And second, there's always the option of making it yourself. I've never done it but from what I remember reading the prep is a simple process of soaking the fin in several changes of water in order to soften it up and remove the fishy smell. Then it's blanched and slowly cooked in a stock made from chicken wings, dried scallops (also very expensive!), and Kim Wa ham.

The latter ingredient is not available in the US (legally, anyway). But the old fashioned US Southern "country ham" like Benton's is basically the same thing.

>there's only one type of shark and they all taste the same

guh