gg

*came relatively near to without reaching infinity

fml

is this poo-loo?

> spent all his time studying odd zeta numbers
> could not produce any valuable theorem
> called an " absolute genius " because "muh he learned maths alone !"
> Grothendieck did too.
> Die because of tuberculose, because he take the poo in streets instead of loo.

Galois was more impressive.. and tragic, but he was white, so no one cares.

Only pol could try to turn this into a race bait thread.

/pol/tards out out out

I fucking hate popmath movies. They need to stop making them.

>at a party in uni
>talking to a girl
>asks my major
>I'm a math major
>"OMG user I just saw 'The Man Who Knew Infinity'"
>okay.jpg
>"He was so smart user he was doing...well...I don't remember now, but he was doing really hard maths"
>I say "yeah so I've heard"
>She keeps trying to remember the maths he was was doing
>Eventually she draws a capital sigma on the table with her finger
>I say "oh yeah, that's usually for taking the sum of something"
>She looks at me extremely skeptically as though there's no possible way I could have known that because a genius also knew it, so I'm just making shit up to impress her
>She says "oh I think it was something much more complicated than that"
>I look vaguely disgusted
>"Oh user I'm sure you're good at math too! Don't worry!"

Whew lad

>the man who didn't know how to poo in loo

What do think of pic related?

>Grothendick
>went into a university in a developed country
>learn it himself

Is this a Phoenix University thread now?

i hope this didn't happen lol fucking autismo

:'( R-rrr-rrrude
How was I autistic?

She wanted the d and you ruined it by sperging out about sigmas, good job nerd

I don't even know you and I'm disappointed in you.

>muh ordinal jewery

lol you could have eaten that pussy but instead you went full autistic just to have something to tell on Veeky Forums.
She was ofc just making conversation and its not like the movie deals with 2+2=4. The movie does talk about hard maths for someone who doesn't even know calculus.

Just wanted to let you know that you were right, no point in wasting your time with brainlets. Don't listen to the
>lol u didnt pretend to be stupid to get laid wut an autist xD
faggots

The chick saw a movie about an actual mathematical figure and wanted to talk to a math major about it and he disengaged completely like an autist because he "fucking [hates] popmath movies".
It's not like she watched the big bazinga and came up to him asking if he was Sheldon. It was an opportunity to not be an ass and actually talk about a real mathematician with a person that doesn't know math but has hit a point of interest in it, and he acted like a prick.
He also could have gotten his dick sucked, but that's beside the point.

>and actually talk about a real mathematician with a person that doesn't know math
Might as well discuss physics with the mentally-impaired, I mean if your time is worth so little then go ahead.
>He also could have gotten his dick sucked
Not worth acting like a retarded popsci faggot

>I mean if your time is worth so little then go ahead.
He was at a party... the point is to socialize
Nice reading comprehension, brainlet.

agreed

shamefur dispray

>the point is to socialize
So you like to socialize with retards?

Anything is preferable to being an insufferable nerd virgin like you desu.

>Might as well discuss physics with the mentally-impaired
Because she doesn't know about math?
Have you ever tried to engage in a discussion about mathematics or physics with people that don't know them? They're generally interested in what you have to say, and it can be fun to talk about. It's really interesting stuff if you know how to explain it correctly, and if you do then you can make a person's day better, and unless your personal philosophy is of the so-edgy kind (assuming a lot, I think), then that's a good thing to do even if they're not that smart.

>I'm a brainlet so I'll call you a nerd virgin to cover my ass
Okay famalam, enjoy talking about stupid popsci memes with your subhuman friends
I agree with what you're saying, but when they don't even know what a fucking sum is then the only thing you'll be able to tell them is boring middle school shit.

Not a brainlet but I'm capable of explaining things to people and interacting with people in fields different from my own.

Sorry your social anxiety and incredible sense of self-consciousness makes this difficult. It's okay, shitpost about le subhumans some more, it will make it go away.

>the only thing you'll be able to tell them is boring middle school shit.
Like I guess you can't just jump into shit, but unless you're really not trying, even the basic shit can be fun to explain.
Try commutators, just the basics of [x,p]. I, no joke, did this with my dad earlier today and he was fascinated by it and it was fun to explain.

It's not that I can't, it's that I literally have no reason to. If I wanted to teach retards I'd have become a school teacher
>Sorry your social anxiety and incredible sense of self-consciousness makes this difficult
Keep telling yourself that
We are talking about people who can barely multiply two numbers, I doubt they'd be able to grasp even the most basic things

>We are talking about people who can barely multiply two numbers
What?
Where the fuck are you getting this from? Who are these people and why is the person in his story one of them?

>he was struck down for trying to understand the universe
>or you can say he was smited

gg, don't fuck with science yall

its so funny to read your post. Your autism is off the charts. You tell people brainlets yet you are so socially impaired you can't even control yourself on a Veeky Forums board. Pathetic.

Autists are the real brainlets. Since it's clear you don't know how to socialize, I'm guessing youre an autist.

>famalam

You just confirmed it. Nothing to see here folks. We've got a legit retard in the thread.

>Keep telling yourself that

Nice come back, le memester xD

>hurrrr she mentioned the movie all he had to do was entertain her for a bit and he would have gotten laid xD
none of you actually interact with women she was just being friendly

dumbass, grothendieck went to university

Do you know how I know that you are a dumb undergrad math major.

actual mathematicians don't act like this

Objectively true.

and making a friend would be such a big tragedy why?

If you actually don't understand that getting laid is the hyperbole response then I don't know what to tell you.
The joke is he could have had the sex, the reality is that he acted like a prick.

>Who are these people
Most adults not working in a STEM field.

Guy was probably mentally unstable, like a lot of genius mathematicians. He had obsessive compulsive tendencies and observed extremely rigorist hindu vegetarianism. He died because he was sick even back home in India and refused medecine. He was not mistreated by english mathematicians, they praised him and convinced him to come to study in Cambridge, because as a Brahmani, he refused to travel and live near sullied like us.

loled

True, but fuck that cuck for dueling over a skank.

No she didn't, not every girl who talks to you wants to fuck you christ.

Willing to bet that unlike that user you don't even talk to girls never mind attending parties.

>you could have eaten that pussy
You sound Asian. Are you Asian?

You're all assuming that the OP of this comment chain actually knows what the movie was about, just because he's a math major doesn't mean he saw the movie or know what Ramanujan's work was about.

I've tried discussing maths with people who don't study it many times. It always ends one of two ways: Either I try to discuss the actual concepts involved, and the other person gets weirded out or bored and leaves, or I just act like a normie and go "oh yeahhhh i know riiiight infinity is, like, woah" (usually only stoop this low when i wanna get the succ).

It's a shame that mathematics is structured in such a way that someone who hasn't studied it for months/years can't see the beauty and elegance of it, vs the humanities and even shit like astronomy and some of quantum physics where you can study or visualize processes and interactions without knowing the underlying mechanisms of it all.

>maths

are you from europe?

If so, how the fuck does that girl not know what sigma is. she must have finished high school

She was too busy on the delta :)

>go to tutoring center
>tell them I'm in calculus 2
>give deceptively hard integrals they can't solve
>finally confess I'm a grad
>they ask me to solve this
sqrt(y) + x = 7 and sqrt(x) + y = 11.

>This is in Ramanujan's biography which I read in 10th grade. It was given to him in elementary school and he solved it in 10 seconds.
>Say answer immediately: x = 4, y = 9.

I think that's cynical. People learn mathematics in high school, so a lot of people you meet will have some basis in math.
That's a fair point, but one that I had thought about. If he didn't know much about Ramanujan he should have just said so.
Not to be rude, but maybe you aren't very good at explaining it, or are choosing the wrong concepts to explain. Obviously you can't just pick any mathematical concept and explain it and have them. I mean shit dip a little into infinity but in a way that actually makes sense. Limits or something; how the derivative is defined; infinite sequences, etc. That stuff can be fun.

>I don't want to recognize I'm disappointed in myself so I pretend to be a genius in front of a bunch of undergrads.

W E W
E E
W E W

you got me m8. Can barely respond.

But I'm not a graduate. Just a smart 19 year old. Rest of the post was true. Said I was a graduate to impress people on the internet.

>19 year old
Yeah, that makes sense.

>Smart 19 year old.
>Already knew the answer because of a book.

Is it pronounce:
Goth and dick?

No, it's grow the dick

>some of quantum physics where you can study or visualize processes and interactions without knowing the underlying mechanisms of it all
You absolutely cannot do this with quantum mechanics. But people THINK they can, which is why you end up with all the "quantum physics proves cats have souls" and "quantum physics proves reality is all just subjective" nonsense.

>People learn mathematics in high school, so a lot of people you meet will have some basis in math.
But they will usually have forgotten it by the end of college, unless they're studying something that requires them to remember it. You would be surprised how easily people can forget things that they see no need for and have convinced themselves that they hate.