Are MD-PhD programs a meme?

Are MD-PhD programs a meme?

>is x a meme
>thinly veiled frogpost

Shitposting retard.
Saged and hidden.

Longest and most expensive pathway to a paycheck in human history probably, but at the end of the day probably a better career than normie medicine.

>too autistic for board culture
>too much of a brainlet to answer
>breaking global rule 7 with le sage le downboat

Funny you say that when you just crawled out of your reddit safe space.

>board culture
LOL
Every board has these autistic fucking meme posts accompanied by some form of a frog.

>brainlet
Retarded memespouter.

Nobody who makes these posts is actually looking for a serious answer, otherwise they would actually take the time to type something other than
>HHUURRR IS DIS TING A MEME?? XXDD

The only meme is not following your dreams. If you wanna be a Science Doctor just do it

>Every board has these autistic fucking meme posts accompanied by some form of a frog.
Your pragmatic language impairment is showing.

>Retarded memespouter.
>Nobody who makes these posts is actually looking for a serious answer, otherwise they would actually take the time to type something other than
That special snowflake syndrome is your own problem.Take your autism meds and stop derailing the thread.

The thread doesn't deserve any serious posts, so the best course of action is to derail it so it never has a chance to receive any.

Why? Because it hurts your feelings? Grow up.

No, because it's low quality, meaningless, and not at all serious. It's clearly only a shitpost that lowers the average post quality.

Why would it hurt my feelings? It doesn't actually insult anything.

>thinking anyone ever gets banned for breaking rule 7

Being a MD-PHD requires motivation and drive and deeply-ingrained desire (like wants to help people or get paid more than most).

Not doing well in university is a meme and putting in minimal effort may get you through some STEM programs but you can't do MD-PHD like that. I believe that it's IMPOSSIBLE.

To really succeed academically, you need to be extremely proactive and not willing to blow off classes or independent study out of personal interest.

tl;dr if you arent studious dont do it

t. former premed that wanted md-phd but went for BS ME after 2 years

y.
>denial
>projectively describing all your own butthurt posts ITT while continuing to ignore OP's serious science question

Now this is autism.

>being this new

It's not serious, though. It's not even a science question.

>It's not serious
not him, OP or anybody, but who cares if is not serious?
cant you just talk about something without pretending you are saving the world by doing it?

Yes. Just do MD first and do your PhD after if you still want to do it

Your autism prevents you from understanding the meaning of both seriousness and science? What a surprise. Now please fuck off.

I'll wait for you to explain how that post is both serious and science related.

Yep. It's called talking about something or asking a question in a normal way. This does not include calling everything a meme.

actual MD-PhD student here (pic is an old practice mcat):

I actually think it is the only sane way to do a PhD or MD in general. I basically just want to do medical research and will have an MD for a couple perks (easier to get clinical trials going) and a back up in case research doesn't pan out. Some reasons why I like this:
1) my med school is paid for (usually 200k or so) and I get a 34k/yr stipend + benefits. the future is way too uncertain to drop 200k on medschool. For all I know next president could seriously fuck up the healthcare system. Better to have stable cash flow than debt.
2) classes for med school are PhD level so go right into research little or no classes in PhD. do PhD in 3 years. no TAing or any of that.
3) Most important: if I finish my PhD and find I haven't published as much as I like, or realize the field I trained in doesn't have as many faculty positions open as I like, I have an MD as a backup and can still make a good living. In the era of maybe 5% of PhD students finding faculty jobs this is important.
4) honestly, you just know more about wtf is going on after going through medical school. working on some research using mice and realized that in adult humans the spinal central canal usually doesn't have fluid in it, and was wondering if mice don't have fluid in there either which would explain some findings. multiple professors in the department scoff at me and think fluid must be in there cause spinal taps are done there, but spinal taps are done in subarachnoid space because you aren't going to stick a needle into the fucking spinal gray matter. I run into stuff like this often where PhDs are trained in just their one organ and know little to nothing about other areas or disease processes that can contribute to their research.
6) For real, it helps elucidate what is actually going to be something useful and worth doing a clinical trial for vs just a meme that researchers are essentially researching for mental masturbation.

bad idea. MD-PhD pays for your medical school, ensures you don't have to take redundant classes as a PhD, and ensure your professor gets you going on your project right away so you can finish in around 3 years. if you did MD and then phd you are out 200k, you will likely have redundant classes to take, and the professor will likely try to keep you around doing menial labor for an extra 2-3 years more than a phd should take.

link for the site?

If you are talking about the pic then I paid to take that practice mcat. kaplan I think.

Thanks, how did you manage to get scores as high as that, just practice?

just be autistic and do practice problems for physics, chemistry, orgo continually. Read your chem, physics, and bio book (human biology only) cover to cover and be able to answer anything at all from any of those books in seconds. for verbal reasoning the only thing that helped me was reading high diction books and journal articles. on the exam for verbal reasoning they often just post passages from philosophy/economics/history journal articles and ask you to interpret things about them. for physics and bio sections they do passage based Qs where they throw a ton of values at you and ask questions and you need to find out what is relevant to solve the question and ignore everything else. Main pressure in MCAT is identifying what is important to solving the problem quickly so don't get bogged down reading a 2 page passage when you have like 1min per question.

Only 2 Nobel laureates in medicine hold both an MD and a PhD. Meme numbers.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

Not an MD-PhD, so take my commentary with a grain of salt. I'm doing a PhD in biophysics and structural biology, working in a lab that has a heavy translational research component. We've had a few MD-PhD students over the years.

>Are MD-PhD programs a meme?

No, absolutely not.

IMO, there are niches uniquely suited for MD-PhDs at academic institutions. There are handful at my institution who maintain research programs and see patients at an 80/20 or 90/10 ratio (lab/clinic). They'll develop an expertise in a rare disease/syndrome or pioneer a treatment or what not, and can maintain a balance of both research and clinical work at a large teaching hospital and medical school. The few I know are referred patients from all over the country.

If academic medicine doesn't work out, they have the MD to fall back on, without any loans from med school. They'll be some years older than MDs but, IMO, you can make the argument for taking the extra years to not be in debt.

>2) classes for med school are PhD level so go right into research little or no classes in PhD. do PhD in 3 years. no TAing or any of that.

Can't disagree with most of this post, but this is not necessarily true. I can't speak for all disciplines but, in general, I think it's fair to state that PhD coursework is narrower and deeper than MD coursework.

>3) Most important: if I finish my PhD and find I haven't published as much as I like, or realize the field I trained in doesn't have as many faculty positions open as I like, I have an MD as a backup and can still make a good living. In the era of maybe 5% of PhD students finding faculty jobs this is important.

This is a good point.

Is this the weird rock they just found on Mars? I thought it was metallic? !?

Depends on the field /thread. I could get a Ph.D in communications or pol sci in 4 years post undergrad. but have been working for 7 for a doctoral degree in neurology

Are you a meme? Am I a meme?

Is that picture you posted a meme?

Is everything a meme?

>7

In a word, yes.

It's just prestigewhore nonsense.