Metallic hydrogen finally fucking synthesized

>Harvard researchers have studied and observed solid hydrogen under pressure at low temperatures. With increasing pressure we observe changes in the sample, going from transparent, to black, to a reflective metal, the latter studied at a pressure of 495 GPa. They have measured the reflectance as a function of wavelength in the visible spectrum finding values as high as 0.90 from the metallic hydrogen. They have fit the reflectance using a Drude free electron model to determine the plasma frequency of 30.1 eV at T= 5.5 K, with a corresponding electron carrier density of 6.7x10^23 particles/cm3 , consistent with theoretical estimates. The properties are those of a metal. Solid metallic hydrogen has been produced in the laboratory.

>* they have made some metallic hydrogen and have it in a cryostat in liquid nitrogen
>* they might leave it under pressure and let it warm to room temperature or they could keep it cold and release the pressure
>* they are planning to test for high temperature superconductivity

>If it stays a metal at room temperature and after releasing pressure and was also a superconductor then it would be the holy grail of physics.

arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1610/1610.01634.pdf
nextbigfuture.com/2016/11/harvard-researchers-created-solid.html

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen#Observation_of_the_Wigner-Huntington_Transition_to_Solid_Metallic_Hydrogen.2C_2016
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hory shit

>496 Giga Pascals

Op you loaned your mom for this project?

>If it stays a metal at room temperature and after releasing pressure and was also a superconductor then it would be the holy grail of physics.

If I could stay a metal at room temperature and after releasing pressure and was also a superconductor then I would be the holy grail of physics

same thing desu

Knew it had to be possible, fucking knew it.

Classical Thermodynamics ftw.

Explain like I'm four, please

They cooled a gas down and pressed on it and now its solid.

>photos were taken with a smart phone camera

Are you fucking kidding me lol?

Didn't they do this shit with oxygen or helium and the stuff looked like liquid copper?

The paper doesn't say. How do they actually increase the pressure in the diamond cell that high without increasing the temperature?

Nevermind I'm retarded.

What does it imply for science.

1-it might be like the core of Jupiter.
2-it might be superconducting in room temperature.

Thats it.

>2-it might be superconducting in room temperature.

Thats really fucking good though, right?

Need pressure though...a lot

>Sources:
>arxiv
>nextbigfuture.com
It's literally nothing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen#Observation_of_the_Wigner-Huntington_Transition_to_Solid_Metallic_Hydrogen.2C_2016

>Wikipedia
I'll wait till it's actually published. If it will ever be published in a meaningful journal.

>Humanity has been looking for this for almost century, literally longer than we've been looking for the Higgs
>"hurr it's not important"

Fuck you two, honestly.

Heh

>If it will ever be published in a meaningful journal.
It's nobel prize worthy research, it will get nature/science at minimum.

>Photos were taken with a smartphone camera
Does Harvard not have enough money for proper sensors?

Lol just like the higgs boson it taught us nothing new.
We already "know" what it was.

No fuckhead for example it turns out we were wrong about the Higgs' mass several times just like we were wrong about this phase transition.

MH might have immediate engineering applications in the near future too, something we needed data for before we could even start theoretical design developments.

Take your frogposting shit and fuckoff back to whatever shithole you're crossposting from.

Then how do we know what we find is higgs boson?
It can be another particle right.
If you say well we know what it would "look like" then I am right and you are wrong.

Why does stuff become more reflective as it gets more dense?

>It can be another particle right.
Exactly. So the experimental results teach us something new.

Not about higgs boson.

Electron dissociation in metals allows for a much higher bandwidth of quantum states. You can get a superficial understanding of how it works by reading any entry level solid state physics.

Sorry I've reached my dialy quota for responding to bait posts.

Or you could try to explain it in laymen's terms. It might not be completely exact, but help that user understand what is going on.

If you though it was bait why did you respond?

I have some knowledge and that sounds irrelevant

I would guess the incoming photons would have less room to pass through and the ones that can't get absorbed will be reflected or scattered

Imagine a single hydrogen atom with one electron at a certain energy state.

There are a number of quantum states the electron can access (and QM principles show that it can't have intermediate energies).

Now when a photon "hits" the electron, the electron can only "absorb" the energy of the photon if the photons at a wavelength (and thus energy) is such that the electron will be in one of its allowed quantized states after the collision (what these allowable states are and how they are calculated all rely on principles developed from quantum mechanics, what's important is that you understand that the electron can't carry intermediate energies).

That is what generates the hydrogen spectra lines:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series

Absorbance and reflectance of all materials can be tied to these electron energy transmissions. It would take a while to explain all the relevant mechanism, see an analytical chemistry textbook to get a good understanding of it.

Now a material in a metal state has "a sea/soup of electrons binding the atomic cores". Now rather than the electrons' energy states being limited to a single atom/molecule, the "overlap of electron orbits" allows for a very large number of allowable quantized states. Thus a much higher range of wavelengths can be absorbed by the electrons.

Volume doesn't really work the same way on a quantum level as it does intuitively on a macroscopic scale, but for example increasing the the thickness of a material will always increase the total absorbance/reflectance regardless of it's absorbance/reflectance parameters (Beer's law).

Have my understanding of it.
Let's say you have a sheet of any material.
The light hitting it will be absorbed and re-emitted.
The denser the material the more atoms per unit of area (or volume in the end it doesn't matter).
Each atom will contribute to the reflection beam, if the material is disorganized the re-emissions are going to be random in all directions and the material is going to be non-reflective.
Now if the material's surface is highly organised then those remissions are going to constructively interfere giving you light which macroscopically has direction. The more atoms you have interfering the more intense the reflection.
This guy seems to know a bit more.

Consider diamond please. It has almost nothing to do with packing density.

Did you not read this answer metals are quite more dense in their quantum states.

What do you mean, diamonds are dense and reflective?

It's has less reflectance\absorbance (or alternatively higher transmittance) than metal sheets of equivalent thickness.

1. I wrote (You)

2. Diamond has an atomic density of [math] 1.77 \times 10^{23} [/math] while graphite has [math]1.14 \times 10^{23} [/math] and Zinc metal has [math]0.657 \times 10^{23} [/math].

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit fucking mad right now. I need a break from the internet.

Calm your tits.
I wrote and with you so mad I'm trying to figure out what I said wrong.
What you are trying to say is that diamond even though denser than some metals it's less reflective.
But I can't see how having more wave functions (metals have way more) constructively interfering doesn't lead to more intense reflections.

I wrote And I suck huge cocks all day long.

8 microns by 1.2 microns.

Wew lad.

>finally
>implying you knew about it before reading this month's Popsci magazine

I like your humour

> projecting

>photos were taken with a smarphone camera

He said his quota was reached, just let it go or he'll get fined.

Listen H.

Fuck you.

Ok.

Thanks.

>Photos were taken with a smartphone camera at the ocular of a modified stereo microscope
jesus christ, not even a shitty CCD setup, a goddamn cellphone camera, and they're going to publish this?

inb4 it's used by mercedes as a fuel for their 2018 car.
>115-120MJ/kg

ELON MUSK BTFO

>HYPE

I mean, it's not as important as the transmittance spectra. The photo doesn't really matter, it's just eye candy that doesn't contribute to the paper.

Still though couldn't they just fucking get a real camera. Fucking Harvard poorfags.

fucking reddit humor