Using celery leaves

Since celery and parsley are in the same family has anyone ever tried using the celery leaves as a garnish like parsley? How does it compare?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_palm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rose and apple are in the same family, but you wouldn't expect to bite into a rose hip expecting a juicy fruit.

Rose hips are sweet though

Potato and dates are closely related. No, they don't taste the same. Celery leaves are perfectly cromulent in their own right - not as parsley substitute.

Really? The point is that plants being in the same family doesn't mean that the same parts of the plant can be used for the same purpose. Rose, apple, strawberry, raspberry, hawthorn, crabapple and plenty of plants that have no culinary use are all in the rose family, but you can't interchange apples for crabapple fruits in any recipe, or raspberries for hawthorn fruits.

On the other hand, there are single species that can have different cultivars with wildly different appearances and very different uses. Brassica oleracea is a single species includes broccoli, cauliflower, as well as cabbage and Brussels sprouts, which are all used different ways in cooking.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea

generally I just chop it up with the rest of the stalk

I don;t use much of the stuff as it tastes like a watered down radish imo

>Potato and dates are closely related.
Potatoes and dates are about as closely related as grass and sunflower. Which is to say, not at all. I don't know who told you that they were closely related. Perhaps you were thinking of something else?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_palm

It's fine. Only weirdos east the garnish. Is this a trick question? My only issue would be celery leaves wilt much faster than parsley.

If you bite into the stalk of parsley, it has a similar flavor to the stalk of celery, though, unlike a potato and date, or potato and tomato which are of the same family as well.

I was thinking along the lines of flat leaf parsley which is often sprinkled ocer the top of the dish.

coriander leaves and coriander seeds are from the plant and even they don't taste alike, so that's a pretty shitty line of reasoning. Potatoes and tomatoes are both nightshades for instance

You're not meant to eat garnishes either

That said go for it m8

>or potato and tomato which are of the same family as well.
You know what's also in that family? The mandrake and deadly nightshade.

Yeah dude eat a rose hip sometime. Or drop them in tea. Roses are very tasty

Oh, they taste like apples, huh? Because I know that strawberries taste nothing like apples.

Dude I'm not arguing with you. I just brought up a simple fact. Not even the OP. Chill the fuck out

So when you try to change the topic, you're only "bringing up a simple fact," but when I remind you that what you've said has nothing to do with my point, I'm being emotional?

yes, its good in salads and generally a nice thing to eat

Lol, what?

claimed that roses have "no culinary use".

pointed out a culinary use for them.

How is that "changing the topic" or "having nothing to do with the point"?

>(You) claimed that roses have "no culinary use".
No, I did not. The phrase "plants that have no culinary use" is an item in a list. I'm sorry that you can't interpret English sentences.

>How is that "changing the topic" or "having nothing to do with the point"?
The point is that you can't use genetic distance or analogy with plant cousins to absolutely determine the use of a plant part. I gave many examples showing this (See: , and ), but you chose to focus on whether or not rose hips taste sweet when you put them in your mouth, which is not related to whether or not they taste like apples or can be used as a substitute for apples in cooking.

The difference between chimps and humans is less than the difference between mice and rats. You're grossly underestimating genetic diversity differences between species who are related.

I've used it in the dried form as a substitute for methi.

> cromulent
Funny I never heard that word before coming to Veeky Forums

Are you glad when you get the chance to embiggen your vocabulary?

Yes. Especially when I'm making my microwave Johnny cakes

Lol not even that user but you're a fucking turbo austist baka senpai

Not an argument.

But a fact.

Just an insult. Like what kindergartners say.

We have many different types of celery sold back home including one variety used exclusively as herbage, but I've never seen it used as a garnish other than in some American cocktails.
Pic related: one of the many sorts of celery we have that seem to be absent from other countries.

I don't use parsley as a garnish, in that old fashioned Denny's side of the plate nonsense, when serving garlic with a dish (chew to freshen your breath of course!).
When I use parsley in a dish, I find it absolutely an essential flavor, from chicken soup stock to buttered egg noodles to be served with paprikash, to folded into the ricotta mixture going in the stuffed shells, gumbo z'herbes, or to whirring up a batch of chimmichurri or green goddess dip.

Now when I make my batch of potato salad, I absolutely want the full stalk celery, not just the hearts, because I want those leaves also chopped into it. I like the texture as much as I like green onion tops. Equally, it's as good in marinated bean salads, pasta salads, heart of palm salad, anything with seafood in it, etc. They have a great amount of flavor. They are aromatic, so when you put a stalk into a bloody mary, the leaves are nice as a handle as well as some nice aroma close to the palate as you sip. When I roast some veggies, I'll toss in some celery tops, because they get so different in flavor when they brown.

Tomatoes are fruits. Potatoes are tubers.

>many different types of celery sold back home
that's beautiful