Why do math niggers think topology is so great?

literally every annoying asian troll i've met on the internet is all 'dude i know topology, sit the fuck down' like it's some sort of impressive thing, usually followed by 'lol i rekd u'

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AmgkSdhK4K8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its the most exciting kind of math because you can play with shapes

Because topology is assisted by the speed and capability of 3-D mental rotation and assembly of more complex geometric shapes from simpler ones.

SE Asians and the Japanese have better-than-average capabilities in the rotation and construction of 2-D and 3-D objects.

youtube.com/watch?v=AmgkSdhK4K8

If this does not convince you topology is top tier then there is no hope.

It's standard undergrad, nothing special about knowing point set or even algebraic topology.

I fucking hate amatuer fanboys like this.

>Nooo! If the normies start liking math I won't be able to justify my smug elitism!

That's like saying that you're an analyst because you passed calc 1

I kek'd

I don't like how fake it is. The point is that they don't like it (how could they when they don't understand anything more that a pop description of their favs xD), but they pretend to so they can be smug elitist in their gay little nerd voices. I mean I can fucking hear this faggots virginity and non-prescription glasses in his voice.

Fuck this guy.

In a way that people like you would understand fanboys are the equivalent of gamer girls.

Real professional mathematicians and academics are nothing like this faggot.

what kind of retarded argument is that? you know that topology is one of the most active field of research in math, right? undergrad my ass

You sound bitter.

He's just trying to give an intuitive description of a solution to a certain problem. At the end he even says that the real topology only comes in when you try to make the things he talked about rigorous.

Read the OP you fucking retard. Or are you one of those Asian fuckheads who thinks knowing some topology makes you smart?

they probably aren't anything like you either lol

..at least i would hope

Listen. His graphics are nice I will give him that and only that. But if he actually gets that excited about a mapping functions to an identified surface then he's a brainlet pretender who knows nothing about math, but more likely he's a fanboy who barely got his undergrad and does these vids while failing to get laid in the corner of a Starbucks.

Spoiler: At least of them are.

And yes most of my department is like me. We're nice to ugrads because we are paid to be. I fucking hate students who are obviously not going to make it, but already built their identity around the field anyway. When these mumbling idiots come up and try to "impress" me with some stupid popmath they learned while taking away time from students with a real future. There's a reason why I invite the latter for drinks to spend more time with them while I don't give the former a minute more of my time than I have to.

Maybe so. I could imagine thinking the same thing if some freshman was gushing about how cool it is that derivatives find the slope of tangent lines or something like that but how the literal fuck are you supposed to get people excited about math if you don't show some enthusiasm yourself? He's trying to teach, not just project some expert mathematician persona online, so I think however trivial the things he's doing seem to someone farther up the ladder, you shouldn't poop on his efforts.

I find this kind of thinking rather patriarchal.

In science / math / whatever why should I have to be brainwashed by the feelgood vibes of math which if I didn't understand it, are lost on me to begin with? shouldn't my own motives be enough?

>my own motives
Well where do you expect those motives to come from? Do you think certain people are born with an innate inclination towards mathematics and will pursue the subject regardless of how dryly it is taught? Do you think that, if these people exist, they are the only kinds of people worth trying to teach math to, and that everyone else should just fuck off?

yes

Sad!

Number theory is the Queen of math.

>(Other poster here)

Yes.

True.

What your videos are offering is fake motivation that has nothing to do with real math. The type of student who picks up an advanced math textbook out of curiousity and find it either interesting or useful is the one that will make it.

>getting buttblasted over a short little video that's entire purpose is to be entry level because it's entry level and the author seems to enjoy explaining simpler concepts of the field

holy shit how are you retards even surviving in STEM

>you know that topology is one of the most active field of research in math, right?
That's very very very wrong, and sadly so.
Perhaps you meant that topology is a prerequisite to do any active field of mathematical research, in which case you would be right.

He didn't mean that. He means he took a a class in intro level point-set topology and thus he's fucking Edward Witten.

How could doing a module in point set topology make him/her think that topology is an active research field?

I both enjoy those kinds of videos and try to learn advanced mathematics in my spare time.

why is there so much animosity on Veeky Forums and in America in general against asians?

Topologists can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

They can, however, tell their ass from *two* holes in the ground.

jealousy

"Real math" also involves a lot of time doodling and talking about your work with your labmates, in which case you kinda have to "dumb it down" (because unless they happen to work in the exact same area as you are, they probably have no idea what you're talking about). You don't just do math by sitting at your desk and reading books. At some point, you need ideas and these can come from trying to visualize things.
I don't understand the attitude of some of the people on Veeky Forums. If you want to get kids interested in math (especially considering that, the way it is taught to day, they probably have no idea what math is), you should show them that it can be fun and "concrete" (by which I don't necessarily mean that it is "applied" but that it doesn't exist in a vacuum and that it is motivated by questions that they can understand)

kek

cough, someone failed calc 1

wtf it's nothing like topology, it's some application of one theorem to the useless and random combinatorial-tier problem, which this guy shamelessly glorifies. It's a pure autism, covered with a label of "lol i'm a mathematiciin".

Nah, it's not that he teaches is wrong. Khan teaches too and he's fine, I actually respect his work.

It's that Khan doesn't project any autism and false fascination about pure autistic crap, and doesn't pretend that it's a fucking corner of mathematics. I actually like vids about math for brainlets but this one made me severely disappointed. And see, at least one man (you) bought into crap that it somehow represents topology. No, it doesn't, and this guy clearly knows shit about topology. I'm not that guy but I totally agree with his sentiments.

loled

>If you want to get kids interested in math
Gonna stop you right there.

Who said we wanted more competition? I don't think you understand our agenda user.

Well if no one thinks that what we do is interesting, why should they keep funding us ?

What is the point of learning math

for fun ?

To build predictive quantitative models of reality.

for 300k

If they told me that they knew topology and to, "sit the fuck down," then it would be in my best interests to sit down and ask them to speak further on the topic.

I'd love to learn more about topology from someone who is competent in the subject.

>that guy is wrong I am right he is wrong cuz I am right therefor he is stupid Iam right he wrooong!

educational purpose?

kek

The animations he does are awesome. Combined with rigorous treatment, this is the future of education I like.

I fucking love his series on linear algebra. When I had linear algebra I hated it. It was just definitions, proofs and mechanical computation of something abstract. Only later I discovered that it's useful in almost every following subject I had.

If math education combined such awesome animations showing geometric interpretations, there'd be more _real_ engineers, because students (including me) are thrown away by seemingly useless abstract crap. If I saw these animation, if I knew geometric interpretation of determinant, I would fucking love it and took the rigorous treatment seriously.

You can argument that it's my task to figure it out and visualize it all in my head. What's the point? Is the education about teaching concepts or is it just competition of nerds?

Books are getting obsolete.

rekt

topology really is more just a tool to study how things are connected and how they "flow" i guess. i mean the whole shapes meme is correct and very fun to play around with, but it seems that it is mostly just something they use to entertain pop sci casuals

Lmao, this problem is solved for locally monotone curves. Typical topologist masturbation.

>how they "flow"
that would be PDEs

What about those who are not aware of advanced mathematics? Many are unaware of what real mathematics entails. Surely these videos can reach potentially innovative and curious individuals and show them that more likes beyond their basic schooling.

A student may not pick up a book on math if they don't know it exists.

You'd probably be fucking pissed too if some FUCKING JAPS blew up your goddamn harbor!

>implying anyone on Veeky Forums is doing any actual research

This comes off as pretty self righteous. Obviously the video wasn't produced for/by math majors but if it gets a different demographic interested in a particular subject, whats the harm?

And on your comment about being nice to undergrads because you're paid to be.. Buddy your in the wrong profession. Its pretty disheartening to hear educators behave like this.

Have some perspective and show some enthusiasm you stuffy bastard.

>projecting this hard in a topology thread

lmao you fuckin virgin

Holy shit I didn't think someone could get so aggressively autistic.

That just seems to be the general problem with math is that it just feels like generic abstract crap to a lot of people.

Thats a pretty cool proof. Dont know why its getting so much hate here. Its a little slow if you know topology but I get im not the target audience.

His anthropomorphic pis just pisses me off for some reason.

Topology doesn't suck your dick
>/thread

If I wanted my dick sucked, I'd go to the engineering department.

>harbor
Harbour*

>HARR-BOWER

u fuckin' hwat m8

>getting this mad because his country can't even protect a crappy harbour

>>getting this mad because his country can't even protect a crappy HARR-BOWER
The fuck? Can you please explain what a HARR-BOWER is and why we'd want to protect one?