ITT. Learning how to learn

What are some books / sources on the topic that are Veeky Forums approved?

What would you recommend to those that classify themselves as '''''''autodidacts''''''?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tkm0TNFzIeg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>female author

Eh....

easy you read a book on the subject you want to learn.

No retard is not that simple, theres techniques, things specified to help you learn stuff

fucking brainlets like you always get on my nerves

>her feet look like banana fingers
I like feet but this didn't even make me hard.

You wouldn't lick those cute feet clean? I sure would user.

What about these?

Ramanjuan was an autodidact. You're not an autodidact, you just like to call yourself one

I wouldn't expect much other than a stinky disfigured feet from a girl with lopsided face :^))))))

>I will make some assumptions that I know are not true, hopefully I wont end up projecting

You tried...

Sure I would, but the art is a bit distorted.
>real feet
Hate them for some reason unless they're my gf's.

>they're my gf

From which anime is she from? I personally really like Galko chan!

Not everyone is a handholdless virgin like you user.
[spoiler]Holding your own hand doesn't count[/spoiler]

>brainlets like you

Have you ever considered that maybe YOU are the one who is the brainlet, since you can't seem to learn by simply picking up a textbook and reading, but have to come up with convoluted methods?

>feet fags

Take your degeneracy back to

But they're so delicious.

You didnt answer my question dude, which anime did you get your gf from?

in my whole life I haven't learned once
I did homework but that was it
in school it wasn't a problem, I got good-mediocre grades
but now at uni it's a lot harder and I probably can't pass everything without learning

but learning is soo hard
it just doesn't work for me, I can't
I don't know how

This. Fuck off

Here are some books that I believe are useful sources on how to learn.

"study smarter not harder" is a really easy entry level book for anyone to learn about studying. It intros with a little bit of basic theory about how the brain works and then establishes some study practices and habits, as well as the study mindset.

Another book that I'm reading is called "the memory book" by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas. The book is almost 40 years old, but as they describe in the book, the practice of mneumonics is ancient so this is ageless knowledge. Memorization is an extremely important part of book learning, which is why I recommend this book.

I have a few other books on my shelf as well on speed reading and mental calculation etc, but I haven't read them so I can't recommend them yet.

>study smarter not harder

you have to convince me better to make me read popsci book that is really just a placebo to make me feel better because "oh wow I have these tecknick!!". I mean seriously "basic theory about how the brain works"??

How do you want to learn how to learn if you can't learn in the first place?

You dont. Thats why some people are brainlets and others are to intelligent.

How do you determine the goodness/badness of a play in a game you know nothing about?

I'm not a robot

>o those that classify themselves as '''''''autodidacts''''''?
those who actually became self learners did so by trial and error. they didn't need some shitty book to learn how to learn and so no paradox.

>> For Dummies series

I was just reading a bit of the "Speed Reading for Dummies" book a few weeks ago and it made me realize that I already speed read to a certain extent but it was interesting to see someone pick apart what you're actually doing when you read, how you can read things but not actually comprehend what you're reading and why, neat stuff.

I know what you're getting at OP and anyone that comes into this thread being a dick and not contributing is either inept or a troll. They follow the same reasoning like:
"Hey anyone know any good books about basket weaving?"
"Hurdurr why do you need a book to tell you about basket weaving, you just do it, trial and error are better 4 lrning"
Without realizing they were taught to learn a specific way and without that it would have taken much longer for them to learn what they know. Why do we ebin hav books, why don't we just lrn by lrnin.

Anyways, I also have been persuing a similar interest recently, like trying to get rid of old bad habits, learning a better way to input information for later use is difficult and takes practice.

Whatever I'm blogging now and if this is you, you're probably some blowhard cynic that will not change your ways, regardless. This is probably a troll thread.

Been reading:
48 laws of power
Mastery
The Power of Habit
Smarter, Faster, Better.

how about you learn some epistemology then you arrogant fuck. no one is taught tabula rasa, including generic ways to learn. because it doesn't make any fucking sense. it's learnt through error correction internally from childhood. once you develop some actual ideas then you can do things like use books.

if you wanted to actually learn about any of this you could have started doing some research or just not have been retarded and questioned things more critically since you were younger. i doubt telling you this will change anything and you're probably anti-philosophy among other bad habits you want to get rid of but don't even know you have.

While this is true, it would have been helpful to have had some guidance.

>What is Cracking the Coding Interview

yeah it would be nice to have good parents. even non-harmful ones are a huge step up from what most people get. what's your point tho? the hard reality is you have to learn for yourself through trial and error until you can form higher abstractions and start to generalize. there is little else that one can be 'guided' on here unless you want to go the more formal and roundabout epistemological route.

I'll admit that post came off a bit arrogant but you gotta admit the thread looks awfully shitty when half of it is off topic foot fetish discussion.

>epistemology
>learning to be open to new ideas and ways of thinking doesn't make any fucking sense
>criticizing me about being closed minded.

Literally the only way I've found, so far, to break bad habits in input, output and processing is to try to reform them by forgetting them and relearning better technique, there are better and worse ways to learn and as retarded as it sounds, I've had to re learn learning.

On this subject I lean more toward innatism than tabula rasa because I think the mind is malleable enough to be reformed and influenced multiple times through out life. The only criticism I have for this is that it also retains learned tendencies that interfere with the newer, less ingrained methods. You'll have to excuse me for not having known I was a retard for not questioning things more critically when I was a kid, and now have to compensate for that by being critical now, must have been nice having been born without naivete.

Learning is fun, thanks for your input, I'm not necessarily anti-philosophy but it does take an effort to participate in philosophical discussions and in my personal life I don't know a lot of people that would even be willing to give it a chance so it's not a necessary thing to advocate for me, again, so glad that you have that resource, lucky bugger. In that though, it's not really a bad habit to not be interested in a subject that only mildly effects your personal life, but it's times like these, when I need to prove something to anonymous people on the internet, that I really wish I knew more about it. Just one of those problems I don't know I have and won't until it interferes with my trappings.

also sauce on the qt nip plz.

>For Dummies series
>48 laws of power
>Mastery
>The Power of Habit
>Smarter, Faster, Better.

Holy shit, please tell me you're trolling.

Not trolling, why? Did you need a (you)?

I'm gonna try the "Feynman technique" for self learning from books. It has a cancerous buzzwordy name, but it's nothing new actually, you basically learn concepts by explaining them. I plan on reading a chapter, making a list of the theorems and concepts and shit, and then proving or explaining them without looking at the book. This forces you to think more deeply about things than just simply reviewing notes, and also this saves you from having to take notes, which is basically a huge waste of time when all of the material is already in the book, not to mention that it's boring so it demotivates you. I'm gonna spend the rest of today programming, but I will do it tomorrow and then report back with some results if you're interested.
youtube.com/watch?v=tkm0TNFzIeg

He put it in a gorillion quotes to imply that he doesn't consider himself some self-made genius, but seems like you've missed that, you fucking brainlet.