Gauss

>Gauss
Incredible at mental arithmetic, eidetic memory.
>Von Neumann
>Euler

So, Veeky Forums, why do you even bother?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory
reddit.com/r/raisedbynarcissists/comments/295hmp/have_you_developed_a_verbatim_memory_of/
bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-20732332
google.it/search?q=straight dope music in my head&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N5ofWPCCDqys8wfrtaPIBw#q=straight dope music in my head site:boards.straightdope.com
oliversacks.com/books-by-oliver-sacks/musicophilia/
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=622254
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>neumann
I see what you did there ;)

i guess i will not be one of history's most renowned mathematicians, like the entirety of this board

Because they're dead. Someone has to carry on their work.

>Muh computer

>talk to a genius about his success
>ITS JUST LE HARD WORK user IT HAS LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH ME :^)

Because they come from times where the math fields were still shallow and basically all you could do most days is to practice arithmetic.

>eidetic memory
Myth.

He's right in the sense that you need hard work.

However, you need hard work AND genetic capability.

There are millions of of faggots who never put in the work when they were young and wasted (note the past you le smart but lazy fuckwits; you're dirt now just like everyone else) any potential they had.

If you're 22 and still unpublished you'll probably never be truly successful.
If you're 25 and still unpublished look for work in an easier career path.
If you're 28 and still unpublished trying to make it in academia please just jump into the fuel repositories of a fertilizer plant.

It's not a myth you mongrel you're wasting everyone's oxygen.
Eidetic memory is real.
On the other hand, photographic memory has never been proved.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory

I mean it's a myth that any of those men in the OP had it.

Von Neumann was good at tricking people into believing he had it, but there is no proof. I know for a fact that he forgot about something he would've undoubtedly read in his undergrad that he didn't use while he was working on shaped charges. A man like him would've made that connection so I can only assume he forgot like the human he was.

Also from that article:

> Furthermore, there is no scientific consensus regarding the nature, the proper definition, or even the very existence of eidetic imagery, even in children.[4]

Fag.

You're essentially right.
If you haven't put effort in your teens of twenties, you're not going to make it in your thirties.
There are reasons:
* habits are hard to die, you don't do mathematics 20/24 suddenly.
* you can't make a living out of it.
* your brain is rusty from years of disuse, many parts of it dead.
* it's hard to defy social conventions and obsessing over something when others have a life.
Maybe if you study ten hours a day for ten years from 30 to 40 you get good at something.
But that likely never happened for a newbie.

You people are blind.
Look into lucid dreaming and what can you do in that state.
I've been able to play music from real life.
A few seconds but extremely detailed, with instruments and everything.
Some people (we're always on anecdotal evidence) can do this while awake.
I've not a shred of eidetic ability while awake, nor musical skills.
From personal experience and all the accounts I've read I cannot dismiss the existence of eidetic memory.
reddit.com/r/raisedbynarcissists/comments/295hmp/have_you_developed_a_verbatim_memory_of/

Nonsense, I started learning mathematics at 24 and I am doing a bachelors in mathematics right now at 27 and I am doing great.

>eidetic memory
There is no such thing as eidetic memory.

>tfw to smart for mental arithmetic

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but getting a bachelors degree is not really that difficult and it certainly isn't "great". I'm sure you're happy with what you're doing and able to learn the material, but will you be able to put that knowledge to use once you graduate? We just won't know until that time comes, so it was pointless to even mention it.

>my brain pretends that I can play music while I'm asleep therefore people have eidetic memory
Are you listening to yourself? That doesn't even count as anecdotal evidence.

Because I am tremendously good at mental arithmetic and have a nearly eidetic memory

>nearly
not good enough. get out

Wait, seriously, is that not normal? Can people really not just hear something then have it down and be able to replicate it? So most people can't just listen to an album of music a few times then play it back in their head? What

I think when he said "play music", he meant physically play it on an instrument not just play it back. Otherwise you're completely right, that is not a feat in any sense.

Most people are blind and oblivious to just about everything.

Guys at my work will hear a quote, laugh at it, and not remember what was said to write it down on their infantile "quote wall".

One dude heard a completely different re-recording of a song that sounded totally off from the studio version. Me and another dude complained and switched versions. He didn't know what we were complaining about and when the original studio version was switched to he "can't hear the different"

This is just a thought, but maybe these "blind and oblivious" people are just keeping their focus on work and not on memorizing quotes and the background music. Because you know, they are at their job, and they shouldn't be wasting energy on things that they aren't being paid for.

This musically oblivious dude is more into music than me, and the one who insists on playlisting while we work. (I'm happy to work in silence but he insists).

Yes. Because if you care too much about consistence of your sensory inputs you are too easy to fuck with. You will end up double checking everything, starting to doubt yourself, not getting anything done.

Just attribute anything that is inconsistent as

>Oh, that's probably just someone trying to fuck with someone. Why bother.

Can't he just use earphones?

Yeah it seems to me that one guy is just an airhead, and you really shouldn't base your perception of every human off this one dumbass you work with.

I said doing great, as in it is going good. Why would i not be able to use the things I have learned?

Because everything you're learning is already well known. What do you plan to do after you graduate?

My point was being "great" in mathematics like Euler or Gauss requires more than just knowledge, it requires insight. You can't learn insight, and all I'm saying is your post didn't really prove anything because you're still in the process so you can't really say that you've made it until you actually make some new discovery.

I don't have plans to become a mathematician and work with expanding the subject, I plan to work in finance or whatever.

It's not that easy either. Even if you make a huge discovery you must get it past peer-review. That will probably be harder the larger of a discovery it is.

>looks up what an eidetic memory is
You mean most people don't experience this?

Can you guys at least project mental imagery onto what you're seeing?

Then I have no idea why you are posting in a thread about great mathematicians. Anyone can do what you aspire to do. For someone who is a math major you don't have much logical reasoning.

Exactly, but I'm not trying to discourage him from trying. I just wanted to understand why he felt the need to post about his life. This isn't a blog.

It is worthy to still try to accomplish things.

But doing it while bashing head against that review wall is likely not worth it for (almost anyone's) health.

>It's the "le Mathematics is a young man's game meme"

Even if you believe in said meme the problem with it is that by virtue of better living quality and longer life span averages today you would have to bump up the supposed "limit" concerning academia.

Yeah it's great if you can pull off publishing in academia in your twenties but it isn't the deal breaker it once was if you find yourself starting in the thirties instead.

>you need to hurry up and publish asap or you're a brainlet!!!!

This mentality is the reason so many trash papers are out there right now. Just save it dude.

Also why so many skilled young people get burned out. A huge waste.

I claim I can do this while sleeping.
Some people claim to do this while awake.
How he fuck isn't this anecdotal evidence?
Isn't listening to accurate music in you head eidetic enough?

By playing music while dreaming I mean hearing to it like it's being played on an external source.
Like playing music from a music player but without the player.
This is should be uncommon.
Singing it in you head or regularly (more or less vaguely) retrieving it from your memory doesn't count.

Yes eidetic imagery is uncommon.
Projecting stuff is even more uncommon.

>I am doing a bachelors in mathematics right now at 27
You're wasting your time and money.

True eidetic memory is the result of brain damage rather than genius. I'm sure no reputable genius had complete eidetic memory, as genius as they were.

A few links:
bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-20732332
google.it/search?q=straight dope music in my head&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N5ofWPCCDqys8wfrtaPIBw#q=straight dope music in my head site:boards.straightdope.com
oliversacks.com/books-by-oliver-sacks/musicophilia/

>dude

No one even mentioned neural plasticity, not that it isn't a major problem. The real problem is how competitive the modern economy and academia is. We're talking about realistic career options not how well you do on tests. Faggot.

The weak were never going to make it anyway. Do something comfortable like moving boxes in warehouses, if that's still too stressful for your fragile little mind then you can always get a McJobs or something.

>True eidetic memory is the result of brain damage rather than genius.
I don't know about that but sometimes you can improve it with drugs.
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=622254
I've tried some stuff and unfortunately it did nothing memory-wise.
I think the only viable way is meditation (lucid dreaming is easier if you can have them).
Unfortunately a lot of people here don't know about the different forms of it.

I'm well aware of my own shortcomings. That's why I'm studying engineering.

>dude
Breh

>Breh
lad

I'm mostly feeling sorry for the rich people and the pitchers who lose out on the smarties. Could honestly not care less about careers.

Lucid dreaming, meditation, roman rooms/memory palaces, along with mental personifications (tulpas and the like except not fake pony role playing), are basically the only tools for active memory/mental manipulation.

Same. I know that I can get into a decent grad-school if I did pure math. But I will never be truly great at it and I would struggle my ass off to stay in academia. In the extra upper level math classes I've taken I was top of the class so I'm not just talking shit (I actually feel really bad for math majors who aren't doing other degrees and thinks senior/grad math classes are "hard"; they're delusional and destined for shitty non-STEM jobs after graduation).

Engineering offers a chance at a better career and a better life. It's something I can be great at and if not still have a high paying career.

>You're wasting your time and money.
Not him but
>wasting time
I'm depressed and mathematics in one of the few things that gives me pleasure.
Then, I can do things normies won't be able to grasp in a thousand years.
This makes you look smarter in your social circle.
>wasting money
Burgerland!=rest of the world.

>eidetic memory

which is why all of those men kept volumes of notebooks for reference.....

Is that the thing where you can visualize something as if it's right in front of you, rather than in a separate visual dimension that isn't related to your normal eyesight?

I used to do it all the time when I was a bit younger but I've since stopped and i lost a bit of my ability due to lack of usage.

>genius/hero worship

Why do you do this?

>I used to do it all the time when I was a bit younger but I've since stopped and i lost a bit of my ability due to lack of usage.
Yes. You read this all the time.
Most of the people grow out of it during puberty.

I'm just a tourist enjoying the sights the city has to offer. I'm satisfied.

This just links to an article on photographic memory, which you've already said isn't real.

QED

because it's fun.