What alcohol does Veeky Forums cook with? Is it better to use drinking wine than cooking wine? Does brand matter?

What alcohol does Veeky Forums cook with? Is it better to use drinking wine than cooking wine? Does brand matter?

A not so great domestic merlot or cab are decent enough. I stick it in the freezer in a deli container and it turns to slush that i can easily scoop into a recipe.

Huh, never really thought of freezing it. Usually when I cook with wine, my roommates and I will drink whatever doesn't go into the recipe.

>Is it better to use drinking wine than cooking wine?
that is one thing that i never understood about the subject. so, cooking wine tastes worse than drinking wine, did i get that right? i can't really afford expensive wine for cooking because college poorfag and when using not good tasting wine, the whole dish tastes like crap. what's up with that?

+ sauv blanc for white.

use a wine that tastes good and that goes with what you're cooking

if you want your food to taste like cheap, cooking wine, use that

I use vermouth. If I'm doing a recipe that is wine forward then I'll pick up a bottle of louis jadot

I hate cooking wine. I live near a Trader Joe's, so I use their excellent three dollar store brand wine for cooking. It's ridiculously tasty for such a low price.

Everything else there is overpriced hipster shit. Three buck chuck is their loss leader.

What the fuck is a "cooking wine"?

depends on the recipe, either a dry white or a balanced red like a cab sav or whatever. Dry vermouth is a good substitute for white wine if you want something that keeps in the fridge a while just use a little less

Hellooooo flyover!

Retarded baiter doesn't know the basic rule of cooking with wine

Quite the opposite, newfriend
Why would anyone use a wine for cooking that's not good enough to drink? Is it even worse than the worst "drinking wines", the two buck chucks and so on?

Just because I've heard of cooking wine doesn't mean I use it. Only a backwoods bumpkin would not know what cooking wine is.

Yeah, basically.

Personally though, I prefer to cook with what I'll be drinking, if possible.

Never use cooking wine, if it says "cooking" on the bottle don't use it. You can buy cheap 5.99 wine from any store, as long as you can sip it and not gag.

>What alcohol does Veeky Forums cook with?
Mostly wine for stews. Sometimes beer for beef ribs.

>Is it better to use drinking wine than cooking wine?
As a general rule: cook with the cheapest drinking wine you'd be fine drinking. (As in: don't buy expensive stuff, but don't buy stuff you wouldn't drink either.)

Ditto, except I drink it all by myself.

wine is best

"Why would anyone use a wine for cooking that's not good enough to drink?"

From what I understand, Cooking wine is made undrinkable by adding salt. Why? Probably legal and tax reasons. My guess is that since they add salt, it doesn't need the same taxes and legal hoops as "drinking wine". Kinda like how diesel and heating oil is more or less the same thing but priced/taxed differently and dyed red to keep people from skating around the law. So I think cooking wine is probably fine in nearly all cooking situations, just take care it won't add too much salt.

You realize the alcohol boils away. The flavours of your wine go with it. Using good wine is an extravagant faggot move. Enjoy eating cocks

Get a Bota Box or some other premium boxed wine
It's not top notch or anything, but it's decent tasting wine for casual drinking or cooking

Dry or extra dry vermouths add a concentrated bitterness (kinda like raw escarole) when you concentrate them down
If you add it in as like a finishing splash, they're nice, but I prefer a more buttery white for my wine sauces

Is this real?

We don't have "cooking wine", generally people will have a few goon bags in their kitchen for cooking.