Simulation hypothesis

Hey Veeky Forums, give me your thoughts on the simulation hypothesis. Black Science Man said it's basically 50/50 if we're living in simulated reality or not.

>"The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage (that is, one capable of running high-fidelity ancestor simulations) is very close to zero", or
>"The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero", or
>"The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one"

In other words one of these has to be true: either life never gets to the point where it is capable of creating a simulation of reality, life will never simulate reality once given a chance or we're probably in a simulation RIGHT NOW

You fail for the pseudo science meme my nu-male...

It seems wholly irrelevant, from a practical standpoint. Why do we need to care about this, again?

Wait... So black science man is ready to accept god as long as you call him "programmer"?

What happened to evidence?

computers always crash
/thread

Well if you think about it, every probability is really 50%, an event either happens or it doesnt.

>if you think about it
NO

Easy answer: No system can simulate itself, or any system of equal or greater complexity then itself. Each succesive nesting would need to be less and less complex, until the point where no meaningful ancestor simulation can be created.

you need to tell blackman this

Tyson never talks about religion. He's the least fedora "science communicator".

It wouldn't really explain anything about the nature of the universe, because it doesn't explain anything about the universe in which the simulation is created.

Ignorance is bliss.

You learned that in your simulation life.

Life outside simulation might not even have time, energy, or space. Those all might just be concepts that were invented to the simulation.

>it's basically 50/50 if we're living in simulated reality or not.

Probability does not work that way.

In order to determine the odds of whether or not we are living in a simulated universe or not, we would have to observe a whole bunch of universes (large sample size) and determine the ratios of simulated to non simulated universes that we observe.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

It's 50/50, because it either happens or it doesn't.

Remember who is master of this domain.

I wrote this in another thread:

I'm largely in favour of the simulation theory. To me it is the most logical explanation of our universe. However, this doesn't help much with the concept of consciousness. In-fact, consciousness in a simulation seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

So if this is all a simulation maybe there is a chance that we will "wake up" in some higher universe. Such a fascinating thought, would we suddenly wake up, just connected to a machine.

I am wondering about these higher universe beings, I have a feeling that they might look like us, because that could likely be something they would like to simulate.

What if this is all a game for them? What if when I die I wake up and its like a recreational activity of plugging yourself in and forgetting all your previous knowledge just to be born again as a 'game'. To live out this whole life, die, then reawaken in the overworld with this experience.

I also think it is possible that these simulations could be run for knowledge purposes, to simulate worlds with different initial conditions and to explore the different outcomes.

To me the simulation theory is also very solipsistic, how do I know that you are actually experiencing consciousness like I am? How can I tell that everyone else in this universe is just a simulated robot and I am the player?

Honestly I am so fucking scared, I don't like thinking about it and would rather be blissfully ignorant. The existential crisis is strong.

Also to all those retards suggesting 'reincarnation'. I think it is a heavily flawed concept. How does reincarnation make any sense if you retain no memory of your past life? What difference would normal birth be from reincarnation?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts

If we lived in a simulation we would never even get this thought. I know it's not a logical argument or anything but it seems reasonable to me. Conciousness is there when a free will decision needs to be made. If we were living in a simulation where everything is predetermined we would be philosophical zombies.

You don't have to have free will if you have consciousness, take Guantanamo bay for example.

Subconscious, subjective, intuition, epiphany, simulation, singularity, time travel, spooky effect, worm hole - these are terms Materialists use to contemplate Divinity.

> Conciousness is there when a free will decision needs to be made

says who?