Is it possible to genetic modify humans to let them live longer?

Is it possible to genetic modify humans to let them live longer?

too early to tell

Definitely. We're nowhere near being able to do it, tho.

Is the problem the actually therapy or delivery?

These days all you hear about is crazy crap they can do with CRISPR, not how they'll actually apply it to humans.

Do we even have a firm grasp of what causes aging? I thought all we have are a bunch of conflicting theories.

Telomerase shortening

how can someone not know this, have you even had biology

More ethics and our own lack of understanding of the human genome. We may have sequenced it but it's equivalent to transcribing an entire book written in a foreign language that has no speakers or native readers. Then multiply that difficulty by a thousand because genes can be read in all sorts of crazy ways.

Nope never studied bio

I talked to a molecular biologist this summer and he said that telomerase shortening is merely a sign of aging and not what causes aging...

Yes lad, it's possible to extend human lifespans. Prepare your anus for SENS

When they are shortened enough, the cell cannot divide any further

China has pretty much already done it

put aglets on your telomeres and you'll get the Nobel Prize

I heard people with a lot of moles tend to live longer due to this telomerase thing

my cats will just chew them off like they do my aglets.

there's no proof of causation, only correlation.

i think a combination of environmental changes and genetic modification will lengthen human life. the real goal is ending senescence.

This
Inb4 muh crispr muh telomerase

this is heavily debated

>what are melanomas

How the fuck does he look so young?

So then in situations where there's only like one gene you need to change, they won't do it because they don't know how it will effect the rest of the system?

My understanding is that the cell continues to divide, it just keeps on shortening the genome with every division so you lose genetic code.

>Is it possible to genetic modify humans to let them live longer?

kys.

no

aging is related to reduction in telomeres allowing DNA to be damaged faster than normal bodily function can repair it leading to poor health/cancer/dementia

the DNA itself doesnt actually effect this

>humans to let them live longer
Why would you do such a monstrosity? Don't we have enough selfish self absorbed assholes? Do you hate that evolution is slowly happening in our species?

Sorta related question. If we manage to make and harness(meaning it doesnt genocide us or whatever) artificial superintelligence, wouldn't it be able to understand how DNA works pretty quickly?

Aging is a complex process with multiple symptoms that have multiple causes. For example, if you could extend the age of the body/cells, lewy body buildup in the brain would still be an issue, along with your aqueous humor in your eyes slowly turning solid.

As for editing the human genome... We simply don't have the knowledge. We would need a complete 'roadmap' of all human genes and know with absolute certainty what they all do and how they all interact. We are not even 1% of the way there.

first of all telomeres aren't a main driving factor of aging

secondly telomeres can be altered using gene modification

Us dieing is rooted in DNA. Telomeres put a limit on the number of times DNA can copy itself and when the telomeres unravel the cell that the DNA strand is in self destructs.

"During chromosome replication, the enzymes that duplicate DNA cannot continue their duplication all the way to the end of a chromosome, so in each duplication the end of the chromosome is shortened. The telomeres are disposable buffers at the ends of chromosomes which are truncated during cell division; their presence protects the genes before them on the chromosome from being truncated instead."

Get a genetic sample of the patient when they are a baby. When the patient begins to age at 40, replace their DNA with the DNA they had as a baby, thereby giving that person another 40 years of life.

This can be tested on short lived creatures like rabbits to get results fast.

What are some good reasons for humanity to fight off ageing and obtain a variation of biological immortality?

If you have to ask, you may as well kill yourself now.

What are some good reasons for humanity to fight off diseases and obtain various forms of medicine and vaccines?

so you dont die you stupid faggot

Not exactly related, but why aren't more countries jumping on the generic engineering train? I've read that only China and the USA have human trials planning to try and fight cancer with genetic engineering. Why?

When I'll get a job I'll make sure to donate to him desu
I like living too much to die

4 months ago he and SENS made progress in testing of proteins 6 and 11.

UK's too busy using genetic engineering to fight AIDS.

Plus did the CEO of some company manage to extend her Telomeres by like 20 years or something?

>UK's too busy using genetic engineering to fight AIDS.

I mean that's good in my opinion. More tests will lead to a greater understanding. It's just that you don't really hear about these tests. Maybe the public discussion is behind the topic?

Also, I've read about that CEO, and she is getting two gene therapies, I'll dig up a link when I get back home.

>did the CEO of some company manage to extend her Telomeres by like 20 years or something?
That's what she claims, but no independant party did the testing and we don't have any information about how they tested her

GM stock images are just the best.

you guys notice how his beard is turning brown again?

this

imagine a plethora of Veeky Forums imbeciles spouting the same "inb4 muh diz muh dat" excrement ad infinitum

just no

or edgy retards who are a bit too full of themselves

No, the cell undergoes senescence and stops replicating.

Yes but you can introduce telomerase and it will start again.

Moles are usually not melanomas though. And melanomas don't always form from moles

Explain immortal cancer cell lines. Checkmate fagget. You can also induce immortality in cell lineages.

CRISPR shits on HIV, it'll be cured in the next decade depending on how long it takes for it to pass tests.

Isn't the problem with CRISPR still delivery.

Probably; there's probably another way to do it though. And not just one.

Not particularly. It's very good at delivery, just sometimes delivers to the wrong place.

The risk of cancer from this is very very low, whereas the risk of keeping HIV once you have it is basically 100%

>CRISPR
Herro guys. I woulda rike to talk to yous about NgAgo. Twust me the scientist. It is CRISPR killer.

I mean isn't the problem for in vivo CRISPR that you still need a vector that delivers the cas9 to the appropriate cells?

And fuck this guy, not even the Chinese like him.

You're right. We should stop making medical advances because sometimes it'll make a bad person live longer.

Let's also stop making everything about life easier, because people today just have it too easy and they become worse because of it.

Fuck all technology let's live in caves

So how much money will it cost the average joe to get life extension services when it comes out in 20-50 years?

Probally, but is it morally right?

We only live our lives so intensely because we know that some day the world around us will cease to exist.

>Would you want to live a boring life?

Do cancer cells age?

You can't really live a boring life.

There is always things to do. You only become bored when you become a lazy sack of shit who doesn't want to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that some don't. Look up Henrietta Lacks

no reason why it would be expensive

Some are immortal. However they undergo significant genotypic and phenotypic drift. A lot of the immortalized cell lines used by scientists have aberrant number of chromosomes or deformed chromosomes.

I think boredom is a small price to pay compared to the void that is death. Pretry sure I would have plenty of shit to do anyway, and I would probably enjoy my life even more since I would not have to rush everything.

yea, start by cutting out the 7 bottles of Mountain Dew a day from your diet and you'll live a lot longer

You can also do a lot more things and master new things.

That's not true. I live my life intensely because it feels awesome to do cool shit.

I think there are also a lot of people who say "Ah fuck it what can I do anyway" too and end up working in a toll booth and watch netflix all night.

I've heard it said fatalism is a lot more common with poorer folks, do you think that's true? If so what would you make of giving them the hope that they might one day live in a Not Shitty Place/Time?

Recently I've seen a rise in these threads talking about life extension, biological immortality, editing human genes to extend one's life and such? Is this a new fad or is such things possible in this century.

such as

jeking off with the left hand

>I mean isn't the problem for in vivo CRISPR that you still need a vector that delivers the cas9 to the appropriate cells?
My lab uses third generation lentiviral vectors but we don't use CRISPR, not yet anyway.

You can still immortalise primary cells and make them cell lines without making them tumorigenic e.g. HEK239T cells, which are immortalised but not cancerous.

>Is this a new fad
Nope, gene therapy has been around for decades but it is slowly gaining more momentum.
>or is such things possible in this century.
ehhh, i dunno, a long way to go

simple monogeneic diseases could be cured by this century, aging, probably not. Probably has a lot of ethical shit behind it.

Yes and no.

Some genes become "problematic" later in life, but you would have to modify them in a very specific and complicated way, which would require decades, constant flow of money and trial and error.

If someone is willing to do it, he will have to accept that the results will be around when the sons of his son's son are alive.

Getting rid of aging this century would be one of the greatest things mankind could ever do.

I know, I work with Her 293s. But
1) hek 293s are embryonic and thus have different properties from adult cells
2) hek 293s and all other immortalized cel lines still undergo severe genetic drift like I mentioned earlier meaning they would probably cause problems in a live organism

Didn't him and SENS make progress in their 7 step plan awhile back, and then did a Q&A about it?