STEM professions:

What're the most lucrative STEM professions within Veeky Forums's objective opinion?

PetroE
Bachelors, $100k starting

What about nuclear engineering or mathematics?

lol, no. i go to the best Petro E school in the country and our placement rate is abysmally low. those 100k + starting salaries ended when oil tanked to 40$ a barrel.

So, what in your consideration is profitable?

if not PetroE, then something EE related

lol no

Nuclear E pays well too, just not a whole lot of jobs in the US. Mathematics will relegate you to the academia shithole unless you want to work 80 hour high stress weeks as an actuary or developing algorithms for HFT firms.

>nuclear
only if you were in the Navy or have an in with the department of energy.

the medical side of nuclear might be lucrative, but the problem with NE is its super fucking niche and there are only a handful of jobs to go around.

>mathematics
if you grind out the requirements for being an actuary, sure. but math by itself won't get you a good paying job.

if you just want to make money, get the easiest engineering degree you can (civil or maybe mech) and double major with business. project managers are what everyone needs, and they make close to 100k starting.

legit engineering pays mediocre till you get your stamp or get into a chief engineer position. most engineers go into finance or project management just for that reason.

Medical specialties
Neuro/cardio/thoractic surgeon, $500k+
Anaesthesiology, ~$400k
Radiology, ~$300k

This but of course medicine isn't scientific and doctors are idiots according to Veeky Forums.

Glass blower. At least you'll have a job comfy, well-paid, stable job for a lifetime.

That's what I was thinking, EE, or perhaps something IT related?

I like the look of nuclear engineering and actuary does make bucks, as for academia, I'd rather not be stuck there forever.

I don't like people, biology is boring and impure.

Exactly. ;)

It is quite an interesting craft, though, I'd consider it more of a hobby?

Medicine is not a hard science retard

It is objectively actuary, a specialization of mathematics.

Reality does not resist logic. It makes sense for the highest earners to be also the smartest.

I couldn't agree more, user.

>I like the look of nuclear engineering
>I don't like people

then you are never going to make much as an engineer my man.

unless you are literally a genius who is #1 in your field, 90% of your job as an engineer is going to be dealing with people.

answering emails, reports, reports, phone calls, meetings, negotiating with contractors/vendors/clients. the ACTUAL engineering is done by an army of low pay cubicle monkeys, and a select 1-2 chief design/research engineers who are just so good at what they do that their introverted autism is tolerated.

everyone else with a speck of social aptitude is management or moving money around.

Any physics or chemistry faculty need at one or two. The better half of the job will be fixing shit, and rest is doing custom glassware by request of researchers. Some think complex glassware gets mass-produced- it don't. It's really is a craft that handed down from one person to another, and it's not sth that happens overnight either.

Actuary doesn't count. By the same logic you could sell your organs one by one in the black market and make a fortune just as well.

Well then, sounds like an hero position, unless my ultra-Asperger's transforms into engineering Rain Man.

I've visited one of these workshops before, Dartington Crystal, it was rather impressive.

You made me laugh, user, well done.

Actuary is a STEM career
Organ seller is a business career.

What about selling the organs of others?

>What about selling the organs of others?

If your job is selling then you are just doing commerce. I don't see any C in STEM.

What about harvesting and selling?

That is called farming, not STEM.

STEM jobs are ultimately labor jobs. If you are a chemist making a drug you will never have anything to do with the selling of that drug. Maybe you will be made to talk to potential clients if you are like the head of the research department. That is a STEM job. That is a chemist.

On the other hand, even if you are a trained chemist, if you work managing a chemical company or you own it and only handle its finances, finding clients, hiring people, etc. then you are not a chemist. You are a businessman who owns a chemical company.

If you sell anything directly, you are not a scientist. You are a businessman.

If you hate your life and develop your own products AND manage the company that owns it AND sell it then you probably already killed yourself from the stress.

What about cooking and selling methamphetamine?

Then I guess, I GUESS, you would be a scientist business man but never forget my point here:

>If you hate your life and develop your own products AND manage the company that owns it AND sell it then you probably already killed yourself from the stress.

Remember, Breaking Bad was only a show. Drug dealing is not controlled by individuals making their own product and then selling on the streets.

A business as profitable as drugs gets controlled fast. You either go big or go home because if one of your competitors decide to go big then you will be fucking killed when they want control over your streets and you don't have any protection while they have an organization of 1000 trained killers and 100 trained chemists to fuck you up.

besides medicine, there's no point A point B high salary career, high salary usually means you took some risks and it paid off, regardless of your major. if you want an pretty OK job that pays well, just go to any of the major engineering branches.

Indeed, that's a very good point.

I mean, a decent starting salary with potential to make headway.

Medicine is not a hard science, is not a STEM career.

If you are going purely for high probability of high salary do CS.

Various engineering professions have better salary ranges but there are less jobs or they require very specific experience.

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Marine Engineering? Preparing to study it at Uni with a focus on Offshore, plus some side study of programming, as well as SCUBA welding so I can get crunched by delta P.