Attending lectures

For those of you who actually don't attend maths/physics or related lectures, are you trolling before submitting a crappy exam or you actually succeed?

I didn't attend a single lecture in my Quantum theory 2 course after the first three because the lecturer was terrible but the lecture notes were great. I read them all and did every single exercise in about a week and scored 100% on the final (note that this happened in the UK, where the best grade is at 70%, a first class, and the course average is in the low 60s.

Lectures are just glorified livestreams.

I have a masters in Nuclear Engineering and I haven't attend a single lecture since sophomore year

depends on the course

sometimes the lectures are useless

>tfw they monitor attendance

for what it's worth I'm in my first year of a pure maths degree and haven't been to a single lecture but i kill every test. I study 2-3 hours a day though

First and second year pure math is pretty easy tho to be honest. In my opinion 3rd year is harder, because they up the pace and you end up covering hundreds of textbook pages in each course per semester. If you learned complex analysis and group theory in highschool then its still gonna be stupid easy though.

It honestly depends on the quality of the notes and how available course material is in terms of existing textbooks/resources.

If your professor barely follows the text and the course is on some very obscure niche subject, you should probably go to lectures.

For undergrad math courses like Calc I/II/III and similar courses where there's tons of existing material/examples/practice problems? It's not necessary but sometimes the lecturer is good enough to warrant going.

Or quizzes which slowly add up and contribute to 10% of your total grade

>First year
>Pure maths
Yeh, you haven't even started the real shit.

Actually, he is not fond of south arabia, he will support companies like tesla.

America will be a technology power house again and not just:
>muh facebook
>muh web "programming", appz

And I'm not even americam, in fact I'm Mexican

>mcc tengo que construir un muro

I never, went to any stats/math lecture beyond the first one. I just can't bring myself too. I'm a chem fag though, go to all of chem lectures.

Credit average.

What?

Kek yeah I did. Smooth sailing I guess.

>university class
>attendance impacts your grade

???

I don't miss every one, but my professor is dreadful. Really brilliant guy, but his brilliance gets ahead of him, and he ends up not being able to communicate the concepts very well.

If you rely on a professor to teach you something in order to get a grade, you're going to have a bad time.

>sometimes the lectures are useless
I think nothing pisses me off more than useless lectures that I have to attend.

>he attends lectures

lmfao!!!!

this board is for 180 IQ +

please try reddit.

I fucking hate this, I can deal with attendence being worth a few points at the end of the semester, but my university places limits on how many classes per semester you can miss. (if the prof chooses to care)

If you miss more than 5 lectures on your 6th if I remember correctly your grade automatically is entered as a C- at the end of the semester regardless of what your actual grade was.(unless obviously if you get lower than a C- it doesn't go up)

It's fucking bullshit. literally the biggest waste of my fucking time. I cannot stand it.

This. My special relativity lecturer was fucking useless, but he nicked all his material from Susskind, who has lectures in Youtube.

I just read the notes and use google. If I feel like it I can watch the lecture recording/

Every time I get into a lecture theater I get sleepy as fuck and I feel like it's a waste of time anyway when I can just watch the video

I'm too lazy to attend but interested enough to work hard on my own. This far I've been succesful.

Off-topic, but can anyone explain how he is able to write up so high on the board? It really doesn't look like one of those are the kind on rollers that can be shifted up and down? But I'm assuming it has to be that? Or some kind of ladder on rollers library style?

it's a movie still

Some people just cannot learn from verbal explanations and need well written explanations that they can refer to again and again, also and this is not me being prejudiced, sometimes foreign lecturers and TAs speak in such difficult accents that my brain just turns off. My grades went up by a grade when I realized that I was much better with books and self study and not nearly as mediocre as I previously thought.

My fellow Mexican, I belive /pol/ is this way

Yes I do go to my lecture so I can kiss my professors ass since I attend his seminars and conference week is comming up

I quit lectures during my first year. I wish I could pay attention but I fall asleep very quickly because of my massive ADHD. I can manage just fine without going to lectures, and I advice you to not attend them unless you're positive you get more out of a lecture than you get out of working by yourself instead.

Doing a PhD now so it's not like it had much of an effect on my academic performance.

>sometimes foreign lecturers and TAs speak in such difficult accents that my brain just turns off
This. There was one class where I skipped a significant portion of the lectures and did better for it. Another class where I wish I had done that and didn't.

that's fucking lame.

I have never really understood this at all, on ratemyprof there are always hundreds of reviews of people complaining about accents, but I have never once had trouble. I once took a class with an Iranian prof who had 80 negative reviews all about his accent. Was one of the kindest teachers I have ever had, never once had trouble understanding him.

Classmate this year was telling me "don't take her I have to teach myself from the book because I can't understand her" I'm just going to take her class anyway? I have no idea where this mentality comes from.

I am also normie and non-spectrum? Curious in a non-prejudiced way if this might have some correlation?

People will look for any excuse other than their own bad habits to explain why they get poor grades. So they'll blame the teacher, his accent, or anything else.

A lecturer's job is to communicate. Some of them suck at it and then blame the students.

this is really the only answer

generally what I will do is attend all of my classes at least a few times, preferably up until the first quiz/midterm, until you can decide whether or not the textbook can replace the lectures.

Some professors, like most Chinese ones I had, will literally copy the lecture notes onto the board. These lectures are a complete waste of time, you can learn the material at home in 1/4 the time with no pants on.

But you want to make sure you don't have one of those profs who shows you a bunch of folklore stuff in class and then tests you on it, because you're fucked if you don't attend those.

My uni actually takes attendance so I just pay zero attention and shitpost on Veeky Forums all class then cram two days before the test.
t. top 10% of my school

I show up to classses if the professor is the type to say shit in the lecture which appears on the test, but isn't in the slides, lecture notes or textbook.

I wish I could do this and skip the stupid fucking lectures but ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY

>f you miss more than 5 lectures on your 6th if I remember correctly your grade automatically is entered as a C- at the end of the semester regardless of what your actual grade was

Kek

That's fucking bullshit

My intro programming class did something similar, I hated it, aced all the exams, never went to any classes or 'labs', got stuck with a B+.

Thankfully most of my math classes don't do this, except for grad courses with 8 people and no homework where the grade is based entirely on class participation.

>complex analysis and group theory in high school
What in high school are those subjects taught?

I actually succeed. I find it harder though studying without attending the lectures. Still the time I ain't wasting on them worths it.