Russian Engineering

Why are Russians the best engineers? Is it something they eat?

Picrelated a launch system developed half a century ago, most reliable launch system ever designed, still in use, considered the pinnacle of human engineering to this date.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Actually Germany had the best engineers

Don't forget about the NK-33 Soviet staged combustion rocket engines which had performance and efficiency specifications that American engineers never came close to achieving until the early 2000's

no, they just had a korolev.

ussr, free education and encouraging and putting actual science on a pedestal

Him

>Why are Russians the best engineers?
they aren't. they are better mathematicians, but their engineers are pretty shit.

yeah, until they gassed them or they fled to america, or until the US gave them the choice to hang or come work for us.

Who gives a flip? It's not like we all have one of these in our back yard.

Didn't that tech blow up a bajillion times costing them the race to the moon?

>make the same rocket 1500+ times for the last 60 years
>surprised when it works reasonably well
hmmm...

You mean the engine that destroyed 45% of the rockets it launched?

The good engineers of Europe were the ones gassing, not being gassed retard.

War is the greatest platform for engineers and scientists to show what they're got to offer, the tiny advantages that cost a fortune to research and develop could win a war. The engineers/scientists amongst the gassed weren't given the opportunity to showcase their talent in that period.

USSR directed resources to whichever team showed they could get shit done.

USA directed resources to whichever corporation bought the most politicians.

no really, no. even they cars are just fake pieces of shit, VW, Audi and other bullshit.

no, R7 rocket system never had a casulty and failed only twice I believe in over 1000 launches.

some fags try (germans), some fags fake (burgers), some fags just do (russians)

They can make a fucking great rocket, with out question the best and most reliable rocket in the world by a high margin.

But they suck at cars.

communism gave contracts to the most competent bider, capitalism to the cheapest bider.

over the years this philosophy became a status quo in american engineering. there is even a school for planned obsolesence in america, namely to make products suck when over a specific time period, while in communism due to lack of resources engineers had to design products that would last.

we have a yugoslavian refrigerator that still works flawlessly eventhough my german parents bought it in the 80's.

Same 30+ years old oscilloscope just werks.

>I have never seen the superior communist design the post.

>>make the same rocket 1500+ times for the last 60 years
>>surprised when it works reasonably well

americans make shitty space shuttle knowing its shit, fly it a shitton of times.

Kill the most people in the historiy of any human spaceflight vehicle

Russians made Chernobyl. Guess we're even.

>But they suck at cars.
no they dont, you try building a car thats really cheap and accesible for any working person, during a war economy with shortage of resources.

americans car are great but they are wasteful, and for a minority of people who contribute to a system that uiltimately is the cause of dead babies

so, the score is like this:

soviets:
>great education and healthcare and job for all working people
>god tier rocket engineering
>ok cars

Americans:
>is happy to kill babies to get shitty luxuries
>space shuttle more lethal than electric chair
>cars that few people can affoard is a little better than ok

yeah i know who wins

>Same 30+ years old oscilloscope just werks.
not something you can say about an american fridge

>9
a fridge is orders of magnitude more mechanicalized than an oscilosc you fuck

watched ISS tours, all american modules look like some white lab crap made out of styrofoam that could be pierced by a sandcorn. russian modules although small, are robust, you have the feeling this shit could be hit by a bomb and still continue working.

the good old Soyuz

if I ever got a posibility to travel to the ISS, I would pick a Soyuz over any crap Elon Musk or Boeing designes in the next 20 years.

the design of the side boosters must be one of the most elegant pieces of engineer ever done.

There is no fancy mechanism or dangerous explosive bolts, the things are locked into position by the acceleration and once the boosters run out they simply slide off because of gravity. such geniusness.

Americans could never design something simple like this, they would add 80 mechanisms and 4000 explosive bolts per cm2

I wonder how they managed to control the verniers so precisely in that time.

Chernobyl blew up because a dumbass thought it would be cool to fuck with it though

>because a dumbass
oh, what was the nationality of that dumbass?

I'm not actually sure who gave the order to make that shitty experiment, and looking for it, I only find a /x/tier shit.
Though the US went really close to it too

counterexample: manhattan project

>counterexample: manhattan project
thats no example at all, that was the most inneficient project ever, anyone could accomplish taht with that level of funding, it was blank check galore, and it was done with the sole purpose of killing innocent people during a war

Sounds logical.

TRIZ would like a word with you.

reminder that swedish engineering always is ahead of the curve

>armata
we did that fucking 50 years ago

>swedish engineering always is ahead of the curve

furniture design isn't fucking engineering Gayhann Pederson.

w-what about me bros

>Gayhann Pederson
Thats Danish

Oh, that's nothing.

Get it? "Oh".

Reference:
>O-rings

Zing!

Having to explain the joke is the opposite of a zinger.

>Why are Russians the best engineers? Is it something they eat?
It is rather because they didn't eat and starved instead. Russian design philosophy is to solve the problem with the simplest solution and fewest parts that does the job and no frills added. this means there are fewer parts that can go wrong and reliability is pretty good.

As for the people Russian scientists, especially the theoretical ones are very good. Engineers are rather variable. Korolev was elite. The ones that followed were seriously bad.

Production, assembly and maintenance people are more notorious though.

>Russian design philosophy is to solve the problem with the simplest solution and fewest parts that does the job and no frills added.

definition of elegant design; one solution to solve multiple problems.

where common design would be multiple solutions in order to solve one problem.

I think germany has had the best engineers and still does. but russians are in the top 5 for sure. they make very good mathematicians and coders.

I think it is because the math teaching in schools is more demanding, they learn more advanced things ealier. That's what my Ukranian, Russian, Latvian friends allways told me.

A tradition of ingenuity
youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

t. trust me I'm an engineer

>I think germany has had the best engineers and still does.

yeah, good at faking gas emmissions. germans are faggot tier crap with good PR (nazis), they can build a CnC machine and thats about it.

They just get the fuck on with it.Build as simple as possible to get the job done. Then build fuck loads of it, refining and polishing the design along the way.

Once you build fuck loads of something you get good at it.

No nonsense, no cock waving.