Hey Veeky Forums...

Hey Veeky Forums. My college cafeteria sucks so next year instead of getting a meal plan my folks are going to send me 50 bucks a week for grocery shopping, which is cheaper anyway.

Let's assume I have a full kitchen. How can I make 50 dollars go far enough for a week, but also keep a relatively healthy varied diet? I figure a decent chunk of it will go towards bread, peanut butter and jelly (or maybe nutella) but for dinners I don't want to be doing the same thing every night.

Pic unrelated, just one of the only food images in my folder.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B003G4BP5G/
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/joes-special-105866
nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-13-72
twitter.com/AnonBabble

$50 a week for one person is MORE THAN PLENTY if you actually cook for yourself and pay attention to what you're purchasing at the grocery

rice
beans
ground chicken/turkey
multivitamins
fish oil

then the rest on booze

>multivitamins
>fish oil

*Shark cartilage
*Snake oil

>how can i make $50 last a week
you could nearly eat out for every meal and make that last a week.

Okay, so how? What should I get / cook?
I figured rice, beans, and chicken would be up there.

The multivitamins are because rice, beans and ground turkey aren't going to give you enough of micronutrients that youn eed.

If you learn to cook, you'll be drinking most of that money

Define "eat out." Maybe McDonalds has cheap enough food to let you live on $50 a week, but everywhere else would be too expensive.

The point being multivitamins are expensive useless garbage

Eat some bread

I eat fairly well on $50/month, you pampered little fuck. Must be nice having parents who spoil you. I really hope life slaps you in the face, hard. You have no idea what hardship is, you worthless entitled piece of shit.

Eat out where, user, at fucking 7-11? I feel like eating that many Big Bites that fast could be dangerous.

Instead of verbally abusing someone who seems to be genuinely seeking help, maybe you could share your grocery list? Take a photo of your last receipt, for example?

be retarded elsewhere

Kill yourself

Lol. Enjoy wasting money on shit that doesn't even work. Retard.

>i had it bad so anyone who has it better is dumb

Shit spawns from shit. Have you improved yourself beyond the means of your upbringing? At this point if you're poor it's your own fault.

I don't remember saying anything about hardship. But yes it is nice being upper middle class. I don't see how I'm being entitled.

Why don't you stop being so bitter and tell me how I could eat on 50 bucks a month? I'd love to do it for cheaper so more money could stay in my parents' pockets.

If you think I'm spoiled you should see some of the people I grew up with.

Bread, rice, beans and ground turkey. That sounds like a well balanced diet that will only result in a good bill of health.

enjoy worrying about wasting money you poor sack of shit

And clearly the solution to that is a steady supply of pills containing literally nothing

>Pill made out of vitamins
>containing nothing

link me your clickbait article that makes you so confident about this dummy

Multivitamins may contain things that normal people don't need because they get it in their food, but the point is that the proposed diet was deficient in certain vitamins. It's one thing to say that multivitamins are superfluous. Saying that they contain "nothing" is just wrong.

The OP is specifically about working on a budget. Wasting money on two different overpriced retard baits is counterintuitive to that exact goal of money management

You stupid fuck lol. enjoy bankruptcy after that timeshare. Im sure the fish oil will help!

lol somebodys angry and jealous because their life sucks

lifes not fair. disgusting, horrible people get exactly what they want everyday while the best, nicest, most empathetic people get shat on.

instead of getting angry on an anime imageboard why dont you just accept shit works like this no matter what, and use that bottled up rage to get smarter, get rich and shove those entitled fucks' silver spoons up their asshole.

Lol id honestly love to know how much you retards spend on that shit. You are both in complete damage control mode

The term "full on autism" seems appropriate here

Why? Because youre mad youre a literal fucking retard that shoots 50 dollar snake oil up his nuts thinking it does anything?

Fucking dumb loser lol

How much do you think multivitamins cost? Even on amazon a bottle of 250 costs $20. That's 8 cents a day to ensure that you get the necessary vitamins and minerals. How fucking poor are you?

I spend nothing on multivitamins. But if I were to go on an eating budget of just rice and hamburger meat (fuck eating beans, I work with people and can't be farting all day), then I absolutely would take a multivitamin.

If you want me to do your homework for you, Amazon sells Centrum for $12.89 per bottle of 200. Let's say you take two per day (I don't know the intended dosage), the bottle would last you a little over three months, costing about 13 cents per day.

amazon.com/dp/B003G4BP5G/

Wow. What a decadent excess and waste of good money for the lame goal of not developing a vitamin deficiency.

pizza, a $10 pie should be like 2-3 meals

Salad. Is there a farmer's market near you? Salad is cheap and healthy. Add whatever you can get fresh. Salad is also an excellent panty remover when you invite a girl over for dinner. Learn to make crepes and you're gold.

Cento tuna in 3 oz cans makes a simple meal replacement. Then there's ramen. And vegetables. And eggs. Keep it simple and never buy prepared food, too expensive. Except maybe canned soup.

Toast
Eggs
Tuna
Soup
Salad
PBJ
Ramen
Vegetables

You have a rice cooker? Kind of expensive but definitely worth it.

You have a grill by any chance?

But you're eating out, so it's only one meal.

For starters, presuming you have a fridge/freezer

If your grocery store has a section of discounted meat, pick up some bulk. With management, that can last you more than a week. That's something to keep in mind. Some items might be extra expensive from the get go, but will last you a long time. Things like spices, flour, cooking oil.

-Meat: I use country style ribs when they're on sale
-Tortillas: make sure they're big ones
-Bag of shredded cheese

Take a rib or two, depending on how large they are. Slice into relatively thin chunks, but not TOO thin. Salt and pepper are all you need to season. Put the meat onto a frying pan over medium high heat (a five or six on a numbered dial) and cook them until done. If you have a separate flat skillet, get that heating on medium low (a four, maybe. If you only have the one, wipe up as much grease as you can and adjust the heat) and fill a tortilla with cheese, the meat, and anything else you want (sometimes I cook rice and lentils to put in as well) roll into a burrito and put on the skillet. Toast until both sides have browned and gotten crunchy, and the cheese has had time to melt

Way I do it, I end up with two burritos per rib. If you got sour cream, hot sauce, or rice, you can accompany them with that

Okay, well OP start's by saying his university cafeteria is *SO* bad he just cant stand it anymore! AWWW, poor widdle baby! Are you homesick?
Then he continues to say hes stressed about having only $50 a week (from his parents, not work) to eat, and MOST of that is going to peanut butter and bread. I'll bet you never thought about shopping anywhere other than Whole Foods.
And now all of you faggots are jumping to his defense when I call him out on absolute bullshit? Jesus fucking Christ.

>discounted meat, pick up some bulk.

This sounds like a bad idea. I've had to throw out full price meat I bought from the grocery store because it smelled foul when I opened it up and went to cook it.

>ribs
You do know that OP is on a budget, right?

You're really fucking autistic. No-one cares how tough you have it or what you think of this other guy. You can't even get upvotes on Veeky Forums.

this
I feed myself and two kids on $50/week

Thanks for being the first to give a real answer. I don't have a rice cooker or grill, just a stove, oven, and a microwave. That said I may dip into my own funds to get other stuff if it's a worthwhile investment for better meals.

Canned tuna is one of the few things I never really got a taste for, but I could try if it's a good budget meal.

you sound like a jaded poor person lashing out at others who are better off. you should work harder and get a better job

Again you're literally spending money on nothing

Nothing

You fucking moron lmao

I don't understand why that caused you to become so emotional. Are you a cafeteria worker who makes low quality food but who takes a lot of pride in his work? Why would you care if he eats at his school cafeteria? Do you think he's lying about the quality? If so, why do you think that? Is your experience with college cafeterias that the food is good quality and bargain priced?

Don't knock bread and peanut butter. They have lots of Calories for a pretty low price.

I see his thread as a positive thing. He has realized that there's a problem: that his only options, school cafeteria or his own lack of common sense, suck. And he's striving to improve himself to solve the problem. Only a truly depraved sociopath would see this as some sort of personal insult and use the opportunity to insult the guy.

DId you miss the part where multivitamins didnt work? How dumb are you?

Very. Clearly.

nothing?
nothing between your ears you dumb fuck

how do you not understand this concept

Funny thing is that I've NEVER seen a person making a claim like this in one of these threads actually produce proof of their claims. Easy to say that you live on $50 a month. Not so easy to actually do it.

>$200 a month
>entitled

Dude is so poor he thinks lower middle class is the 1%

Apparently your Asperger's prevents you from not understanding basic linguistic cues.

I am a medical doctor. I am. A. Medical doctor. I'm a medical doctor. A doctor. A medical doctor.

See? If I say something over and over, it becomes true eventually, too.

As a medical doctor, my opinion is worth more than yours, and I say you're wrong.

There, that's the end of the discussion.

As
(unhelpfully) said

A loaf of bread and peanut butter is a functional option. Not something to eat every day, but a very simple and quick option

Even better if your store has a mark down section where they put bread that's about to go past the sell date

You can make bannocks as well

-flour 3 cups of whatever, honestly. I use oat flour but you'd probably be best served with regular white or maybe whole wheat if you care to spend slightly more
-Salt: not a great deal, you'll have to trial and error it until you know how much suits your tastes
-Oil: just a regular eating spoon or that or two
-baking powder: Two spoonfuls

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add the oil. Add water little by little until you've just got a dough going. Knead it until it's firmed up enough to not fall apart in your hands. Heat up a frying pan (about a four and a half) and when it's ready, either shape the dough into a disk and lay it in the pan, or put into a ball and press out. Cover the pan with foil or whatever is available. Let it cook until you can lift it up and the bottom has browned and has something of a crust. Flip to the other side and let that cook. Jabbing it with a knife or toothpick is a way to test, or you can cut into it directly to see the insides. Once it's cooked, take out and wrap in the foil you covered it with or put into a bag while it cools. This will make it softer than it is right off the pan.

It's not sliced bread, but it's versatile and I like the taste

Get help from an actual medical doctor you stupid aspie

Id also recommend you substitute multivitamins with actual nutritious food to cope with your vitamin and mental deficiencies

Are you okay?

My parents are helping pay for my college. My cafeteria has given me food poisoning before and we found doing this would be cheaper than a meal plan.
I'm not really stressed about it, I just want to know how I can spend it best. Also by "decent chunk" I meant probably around 10 dollars for bread, peanut butter and jelly, I don't know. You're putting words in my mouth m8. I'm gonna go off on a limb and assume you're shitposting but god damn if not you need to get rid of some of that negativity.

Hey thanks for the tips, I'll be using both of these in the future.

Use your judgement, obviously. Don't pick up something that's actually ancient or looks suspect. But unless your luck/the store is just consistently shit, you'll have good meat more often than bad.

-Rice: buy mexican stuff, it's probably the cheapest non-shit stuff
-Lentils: green ones I guess. Also mexican
-Stock cubes: another one of those investments

Two cups rice, one third cup lentils. Rinse the stuff if you care to. Get a saucepan, fill with two cups water for each cup rice, and another for the lentils. Bring the water to a boil, add the stock cube and let it dissolve. Add the rice and lentils, bring down to a simmering heat. Stir around and let the nigga cook until you can taste a spoonful and it's done.

Goes good with lots of shit. Quantity is enough for at least two meals.

>with actual nutritious food
The problem here is that you haven't actually read the thread. Maybe you spotted a lone post about "multivitamins" because you have a crawler set up to do auto-searches of the archive every 2 minutes and send you an alert to your phone whenever somebody mentions them on Veeky Forums. Go back and read the OP, taking special care to search for reference to when he says "50 bucks a week." Now go to any grocery store and buy enough healthy foods to last you maybe a day and take a look how much money you have left.

Dude you seem like you have a vitamin deficiency

Id recommend to stop wasting money on worthless multivitamins and buy some actual food

Don't you get annoyed when people badger you with the same non-argument over and over? That kind of shit annoys the crap out of me.

Every goddamn post this asshole made has been a repeat of his first one.

Jesus Christ dude are you just upset youve wasted thousands on multivitamins?

One more to add to the list:

He's not wrong. Multivitamins do not work.

Stop jerking him off. He's loving it

>He

I totally believe you're a different person.

Multivitamins

And at 3 meals/day that gets you 5 days of eating every week. And even if you stretched those pizzas to 7 days, you'd still have no money for anything else.

Just multivitamin my shit up senpai

OP didn't really imply he was facing hardship, if anything he seemed grateful

This is why autists shouldn't be granted access to the internet

>This is why autists should be granted access to the internet

Like you?

Agreed

All they do is just buy thousands worth in multivitamins like the idiots they are

Bullshit.
He sounded pissed off that peanut butter and jelly would consume most of his budget, and was all upset his cheap-ass parents weren't providing more.
Grateful, my ass. He bitched about eating at the cafeteria, then bitched again about being on a more than reasonable budget. What really fucks me off is all you assholes defending this person for being a pampered crybaby faggot. What the hell happened to this site?

So if you're vitamin deficient and you take a multivitamin, are you telling me that your body won't absorb the vitamins you need?

friendless
autist
virgin
shut in
NEET
family hates you
nobody respects you
strangers avoid you

I'm betting 8/8

at no point in the OP does he bitch about the budget, there is nothing wrong with bitching about the cafeteria

>What really fucks me off is all you assholes defending this person for being a pampered crybaby faggot. What the hell happened to this site?

The majority of posters here are most likely upper middle class

Projecting hardcore because his life went to tatters after spending thousands on multivitamins thinking theyd worj

Multivitamins do not work. This is all that is meant. I can't possibly imagine why you're all sperging about this.

You're projecting your poorness onto others. You seem to think that because you struggle that someone makes you better than others, when it really means to opposite. You're poor because you lack the means (ie. intelligence) to improve your situation. You're a drain on society.

Youre a poor angry loser. Get a job then once you get enough money see a psychiatrist

Define "do not work". Please, explain to me why people with deficiencies do not actually require supplement.

You're projecting your poorness onto others. You seem to think that because you struggle that somehow makes you better than others, when it really means to opposite. You're poor because you lack the means (ie. intelligence) to improve your situation. You're a drain on society.

-Head of romain lettuce is about 1$ can last u a week
-Onions to go with the salad 1$ will last a week
-Parmasean cheese.. a little container of that is 5$ but can last 2 weeks(i put it on my salad as well) and its high in protein
-There r frozen tyson drumsticks(like 13 in a bag) that r pretty lean 5$. also pretty big suckers too
-30 egg, egg cartons..like 5$? lasts me usually a week or 2
-u can get a loaf of bread for ~$1.20 if its store brand
Thats pretty much what i get on the same budget every week, the rest of the money gets spent on sales, cravings, booze and cheap fast foods when i get bored/drunk/lazy, here some others u can get:
-Rice is dirt cheap
-Pasta is dirt cheap
-Veggies r usually cheap, some arent
-Havent had frozen meals in awhile but i remem some seldom sales that sold them for 1$ per meal

Pnut butter and jelly ill grossly assume is around 10$, u still would have left over money to spend; chicken is just the cheapest with sales @ 1$ a pound.
Just spend a lot of time browsing and taking ur time, i love doing this personally xD

Not all supplements are multivitamins. Multivitamins do not work as vitamin supplements. Its really that simple to comprehend. Does this upset you?

>define "do not work"

You fucking morons are too much

>continues to give non answers

8/8 it is then

>at the grocery

Oh America, please learn English

I literally gave you a flat out answer. They do not work as vitamin supplements. They do nothing on the levels of vitamins in your body. This is not the same as even an individual supplement of something like Vitamin D. Please keep up.

Lmao dont even bother

these fucking autistic retards are just in denial they're buying snake oil

>he actually wastes his degrading bank account on multivitamins

D O N O T W O R K
O
N
O
T
W
O

K

Jesus Christ, instead of clogging this thread up arguing about vitamins, why don't you just answer OP's question?

For $50 bucks a week, I would get:

-Rice
-Pasta
-Canned beans
-Canned pasta sauce
-Eggs
-Milk
-Cheese
-Some veggies (to stir-fry, make salads)
-Chicken breast
-If you can stand eating it, get some oatmeal for breakfast. Healthy and super cheap.
-Bread
-Peanut Butter
-A couple packs of ramen or mac and cheese to keep around for when you don't feel like actually cooking.
-You can get a frozen pizza for like $3 when they're on sale, much cheaper than delivery. If you like frozen pizza, maybe get a few of those.

And of course the first week you'll need some oil/butter and seasonings.

Are you actually recommending a well balanced diet that isn't dependent on overpriced schlock with no medical evidence supporting its benefits?

Are you kidding me?

Make a bunch of joes special. Ground beef, frozen spinach, garlic, eggs and mushrooms. Healthy and delicious. Filling. Get egg roll wraps and make little pastries out of it.

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/joes-special-105866

Vitamin shill detected, gas the kikes RACE WAR NOW!

CAnned sardines and saltines

nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-13-72

>Although MVM supplement formulations vary widely in number of nutrients; dose of each; and the type, form, or source of vitamins and minerals, as a whole they are often instrumental in filling nutritional gaps, including in populations where the food supply is relatively bountiful and balanced

I feel like you just read an article at some point that said "you don't NEED multivitamins" and your autism just took off running with it

Thank (((You))) for CORRECTING THE RECORD

You are literally reading a Pfizer funded study that can't even conclusively say whether or not multivitamins can even show demonstrable effects on nutritional deficiencies

I can actually tell you just looked up on Google "MULTIVITAMINS PLEASE FUCKING WORK" and found this garbage that didn't even read and your autism and stupidity just ran with it

Reevaluate your entire fucking life bud lmao

8/8

He's right though, multivitamins are a scam. If you are terrified about vitamins buys some fruits, vegetables, or liver, with $50 a week for one person you should be more than able to add some fruits and vegetables to your diet.
>20 lbs of rice ($9) (divide by like 5 since its enough for like 5 weeks)
>20 lbs of beans ($15) (divide by like 5 since its enough for like 5 weeks)
>2.5 lbs Ground Turkey ($4)
>0.75 L of Vodka ($14)
Only $27 to spend on fruits and vegetables per week. How horrifying. Clearly OP can't afford fruits and vegetables. Not a single apple or jug of orange juice.

>he literally cherrypicked a non-sequitir from the middle of a Pfizer study to justify him spending THOUSANDS on multivitamins

That study proved nothing. Stop shitposting.