New York/Brooklyn food thread

Hey Veeky Forums I'm stuck in Brooklyn until wednesday and I need some good places to check out. Is New York any good with food or is it mostly a meme? Already found a pretty decent bar to hang out at.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do Americans really Brookyln, New York?

unfortunately it seems. I've been here for a day and I'm ready to check out.

head to astoria and get the bomb from sal kris and charlies

hell yeah, thanks user.

Spanish Harlem. Find a place that sells chopped cheese.

Check out La Palina on Ave O. My personal favorite Italian Restaurant. My family's been going there forever. Gotta have some square pizza at L&B Spumoni gardens on 86th street. My wife makes me stop at Roll-N-Roaster every time we pass through Brooklyn. It's a local fast food spot. Great Roast Beef & Cheese sandwiches & the lemonade is off the hook. Great place to people watch & have a quick bite to eat.

Chopped cheese are terrible and op can get that in bk you fuckin yuppie

went to place called Emily and they have really good pizza, burger, and wangz but like gormet I guess

BROOKLYN NIGGA

WUDDAP

Dem L&B and Roll N Roaster suggestions bruh.
Spot on.

Never been to La Palina guess I'll check it out for 3/3

If you like giant sandwiches go to Tortas a la Plancha Don Pepe on 5th Ave in Brooklyn. Get one of the doble queso offerings. It'll be $9, but it will be strikingly delicious.

come find the restaurant I cook at in the city i'll hook you up

we have an open kitchen so all you got to do is walk in and yell DO AMERICANS REALLY BROOKLYN NY?

NYC is fucking trash. Anyone that lives there only does so because they have deluded themselves so much that they forgot what proper modern infrastructure and city life is supposed to be like. It's dense, the buildings are outdated, you have to shop at street corner overpriced bodegas because liberals have ruined the entire state, niggers and other minorities everywhere, 24/7 traffic, insane housing prices, etc...

holy fuck that place is shit

If you have a car take the guinea gangplank over to Staten Island. Theirs an awesome neighborhood bar / pizzeria Denino's on Port Richmond Ave. Cheap Beer & the pizza is my favorite in the whole city. Light, crispy thin crust pizza & all the apps are good too.

Moved into Astoria in Nov. The Greek food is godly around here. Will have to check this place out. Any other Astoria reco's?

flyover trash detected.

What bar was it?

You are a fucking retard, please kill yourself.

I'd much rather live in one of the old buildings in NYC than your trailer that was built 10 years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

I want to go to Sunset Park or Corona and eat some Mexican butthole

It seems like a shitty version of a cheese steak

tacos el bronco in sunset park senpai.
or go to chinatown and eat at spicy village or xian famous foods
bacon egg and cheese from any shitty bodega, almost always god tier
l&b pizza

Muslim owned bodegas tend to use Turkey Bacon or Beef Bacon, so I think a Latin owned bodega would be better for that

>trailer built 10 years ago

Are you kidding me? You have not been to the south. You'll see poor blacks and white trash living in tarpaper roofed shacks in Mississippi. A 10 year old trailer is "livin' high on the hog."

True!

But my point was to refute flyover logic that a building is bad because it's old.

Also, NYC being dense is what makes it so special, most other US cities feel like giant suburbs.

This nigga gets it.

i live in boston you stupid chimp and it's just as bad

you're a cuck. every building in new england is a dilapidated renovated victorian pile of shit that people like you pay out the ass to live in while the landlord is too lazy to properly renovate because it's cheaper to just find retards that will voluntarily live in a poorly insulated, thin walled, shoddy pile of shit

>Also, NYC being dense is what makes it so special
THIS. The density is what makes the city amazing. There aren't too many places where the homeless guy and the billionaire walk on the same sidewalk. The Michelin starred restaurants are just a couple blocks for the 24 hour Punjabi cabbie stands serving great curries for $4 and falefel joints selling sandwiches for less than that.You can walk two blocks and hear 8-10 languages being spoken. You will know a lot of people who were born in other countries, and their cuisines are available to you.

I mean, fuck, I'm in Brooklyn tonight. I'm going to the Grand Prospect Hotel for Golden Festival (Zlatne Uste). Balkan food and music until 2AM. Just a casual thing on a January Saturday night. In summer it would be African or Afro-Caribbean music in the park. There's always crazy shit going on. You can eat, drink and hear the world without going more than a few miles in any direction. That's just about worth the cost of entry.

go move to Whitefish, Montana and get fucked in the ass by your idol

trust me buddy, i am working on it. i hate living here

I was by ktown and had some korean butthole

was a bit spicy

>just about

Did it taste like Kimchi?

Me too. Mexican girls are cute as fuck.

Yeah you gotta love that hotel minifridge body type

But they have pretty faces and nice shiny hair. And I've seen ones with nice bodies.

Yeah man, there's such a wide array of shit to do and things to eat. It seems like almost every culture and subculture is represnted here. And there's so much energy.

Also I find NY's residential architecture to be aesthetically pleasing even in the shitty areas, it has a lot of character.

>Is NY any good with food?

stop telling people about those, and more importantly stop sending people to bad neighborhoods
if you're in a place that sells chopped cheese you are also probably getting robbed or beaten up for eyeing someone the wrong way

You're a retard, there bodegas even in gentrified neighborhoods and they all sell the same shit.

Also, I'm a small white guy I hang out in the "bad" parts of NYC all the time, and nothing bad happens.

Pies n' Thighs in billysburg

My NYC copypasta:

Non-exhaustive list of NYC places that are generally recommended that I can personally co-sign:
Shanghai cafe for soup dumplings (my favorite dish in NYC)
Bassanova for Green Curry Ramen (would be my favorite dish in NYC but last time I went it wasn't as good so it's been dethroned).
Breslin Lamb Burger
Spotted Pig Burger
Nom Wah Tea Parlor for Dim Sum
Jing Fong for slightly more elaborate dim sum.
Turntable Chicken for Korean Fried Chicken
Shake shack, obviously (the maneuver here is single smokeshack)
Kang Ho Dong Baekjong for KBBQ but if you can make it to Flushing or Palisades park the korean food out there is better)
Roberta's for Pizza
Momofuku Ssam bar > Nishi > Ma Peche > Noodle Bar but all are pretty decent.
Burger Joint
Ivan Ramen Slurp shop Vegetable Ramen (

Whether or not something is "worth it" really depends on how much you have to spend. If you're making $35k a year NYC is probably not going to be "worth it" to you, because even though there's a lot of really affordable cheap eats your rent is gonna chew up most of what you earn. But if you're making more along the lines of $80k a year or more this town is fun as hell.

I would say making at least 60k and living in a less desirable (not necessarily bad) neighborhood is comfortable

>You can walk two blocks and hear 8-10 languages being spoken. You will know a lot of people who were born in other countries, and their cuisines are available to you.
put this entire post on /pol/ and watch the fireworks

Or earn 80k anywhere else but NYC, and use your two weeks vacation to visit NYC and still have the bulk of your yearly earnings left to raise a family or just generally live a decent life.

I totally agree, but $60k a year is a tougher sell in this town because there are other places where you can feel like you're pretty rich making that kind of money, and here it barely lands you in the middle class (simply because of the rent).

/pol/ is filled with full fledged autists

>There's always crazy shit going on.
>t. another boring white suburbanite who's trying to convince everyone else he's living an interesting life by posting endless pics of food on instagram

Hold the fuck up. Dissect that fucking sandwich right now, i want to see that meat.

I'd love to but it's just a random image I found on Google.

That's fine, but you're gonna miss out on some of the advantages of living here. Say you're into music, cuisine, the arts, theater or any aspects of culture. It's all here. And if participating in those things is more important to you than coming home to your McMansion and watching TV at night NYC might be a place you want to be.

Some examples from my own life: last night I was at a Balkan music festival. 15 or so of my friends were there, too, so it wasn't just about the music, I had quite a bit of socializing. This morning I debated going out to dim sum at one of the best Chinese places in town, but didn't have the energy for it. Tomorrow I'm going to catch a performance of gospel steel guitar. The next day I'm gonna sit in with my buddy's blues band. Thursday night I'm in the recording studio with another buddy's band.
It is an interesting lfe, though. When I visit family in the 'burbs it seems boring as hell to me, and there's nothing interesting to eat.

>When I visit family in the 'burbs
>t. tryhard white suburbanite LARPing in the city
nailed it

Just the millionth flyover transplant doing the whole Brooklyn hipster shtick, nothing to see here folks.

I was born in Philly, and have spent all but a few years of my life living in one city or another. But as an East Coast guy New York is the best one around. But I have family and in-laws in the 'burbs. Nice people, but I couldn't live someplace where you have to get into a car every time you want to do something.

You guys can't really be from Brooklyn. Its accepted by everyone in the area that L&B has gone down the shitter years ago. Sauce isn't even good anymore and the pies are constantly burnt.

At least send them to Di Fara or Ciccio's or something.

nah you're not fooling anyone. nice try though

Go to Pizzarte. Best damn pizza i've had. Thank me later.

I agree with only the liberal ruining everything part, and the housing prices part. The rest, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Get a fucking job you stupid fucking cunt

I ate at some pizza place a local recommended close to times square. Think it was called johns pizzeria.

It was the first time I ever put somthing in my mouth n was taken back by how outrageously good it was. My best friend loves his pizza n he agreed it was the best hes ever had.

L&B is still leagues above most places in Brooklyn. Your suggestions are also very good friend.

The Carnegie Deli just closed, but it was a meme 'wich place anyway and really overpriced.

Momofuku's pork place was good.

>>New York is a meme

Fucking millennials.

i don't understand how big cities, NYC in particular, can be so polarizing. seems like there are pretty clear advantages and disadvantages.

for example if you want to work in theatre, corporate law, trendy restaurants, finance, fashion, etc. it's a great place to be (or maybe the best place for all of the aforementioned industries, career opportunity-wise). nightlife is amazing. great public transportation. any band that does a north american tour rolls through. amazing museums. you never run out of food options. basically endless shit to do.

and on the flip side it's dirty, overcrowded, and expensive.

these are the tradeoffs.

IMO best to live in a city right after uni then settle down later.

I love new york. I can ride my roller blades around the city and the pizza is the best in the world. you totally won't even notice the jews. we have very competitive banks. One time a bum gave me head for free. everything smells like hot trash and hotdog piss. Only in New York! You totally won't notice you're living in a gheto if you work and live somewhere else and have a multi-million dollar high-rise apartment you use for business 3 months out of the year.

>night life

stupidest meme ever. I'm not a robot i sleep at night.

musta missed the 30 guys above that already meme'd your meme

I'm from the streets nigga, east side 101st
don't go outside at night by yourself

roller blades

t. 1980s

>tfw stupid faggot NYers think one of their own is faking it.

hey guys, how can I bee this cynical?

this must be the worst thread of 2017 so far.

I feel like these NYC threads should be insta-killed.

/pol/ flyovers and euros really can't control themselves.

sure NYC food is probably overrated, but there's a lot going on that could be discussed. lots of places to check out.

a little hypocritical that /pol/ posters are always 'chimping out' and driving discussion off-topic in these threads, no?

I would indeed not hang out on 101st on the east side after dark

same here, generally, but on Friday and Saturday I go out. it's fun. I like being able to walk from bar to bar and not have to drive home. sounds simple but it's actually hard to do in most american towns and smaller cities.

I would walk there at night. It's 5 blocks from the UES anyway, so you're not even deep in the hood.

/pol/tards are huge hypocrites in general

agreed. I love going out on weekend nights.

Are you a small woman or something? East harlem is crawling with cops and has been gentrifying long before you moved to ny

the rich white part doesn't really taper slowly into the hood, it's more like you turn a corner and hit a brick wall of poverty
101st-110th has projects, has fast food restaurants behind bullet proof glass, and has people holding sunday mass on megaphones in the middle of the street while old ladies sell tamales on the corner. It isn't a nice place

What's wrong with tamales?

And I've been even deeper in East Harlem and didn't feel scared.

That user is pussy

I've worked in that area. I don't really see the feeling like you're in danger part. Just don't be a dumbass. However its shitty there that's for sure. Not somewhere I'd willingly spend time.

very dry

also I once had a poor little white boy from long island come to my apartment, but he missed the stop at 96th and rode it up to 125th where he got out
so I had to go on a rescue mission

125th is a commercial area, that shouldn't be scary for anyone

See

I've been self employed in the arts for two decades. Part of why I live here is because it's one of the few places where I can make a decent living without having to work a 9-5 job. Or really anything that resembles a straight job. Like this user says:
>for example if you want to work in theatre, corporate law, trendy restaurants, finance, fashion, etc. it's a great place to be (or maybe the best place for all of the aforementioned industries, career opportunity-wise).
I couldn't live the life I do anywhere else in this country. The food and nightlife are just the icing on the cake.

But for someone who just wants to work a 9-5 and go home at night this would be a shit place to live.

My issue with NYC is that the disadvantages don't need to exist. We have thousands of acres of wide open flat land with consistent, moderate, year-round weather. Instead people choose to congregate in a tiny ass city build on re-paved horse trails with shit infrastructure and shit weather. It doesn't have to be like this. You can put NYC in the middle of the Nevada desert and make it significantly more efficient.

Cities develop for historical reasons. The harbor and the Hudson allowed New York to be a powerhouse back when ruling the oceans meant ruling the world. And immigrants arrived by ship. This was pretty much the case until the mid 20th Century. But by becoming a major financial center for the world the city has stayed wealthy enough enough for lots of culture to basically chew on the fat. This shit happens organically. If you just try to build culture out of nowhere you end up with Las Vegas or Burning Man.

poor people in NYC get free housing, food stamps, and don't need to own a car to get around because it's a city
if they aspired to move out of the projects they could accomplish it. The problem is with the people, not the city

hood rats aren't going to give up their free ride and have to work for a living, its much easier to hang out on street corners cat calling girls and selling coke all day

>hood rats aren't going to give up their free ride and have to work for a living,
Not entirely true. I have a few hood rat friends. Their families are pretty much half drug dealers, half cops. Both careers are equally filthy.

Went to a good place with some carribean inspired fare called Battery Harris yezterday

How was it? All I've heard is that it's more about drinks and decor than the food, so I haven't put it on my list of places to hit.

So much this, I live a few blocks from that place and have been getting their sandwiches for years. They've raised their prices a bit, but its still dirt cheap for how much stuff into those sandwich, and the bomb is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten. There's a ton of great greek food in Astoria too, in fact most of the places along Ditmars are fantastic.

lol, flyovers are so butthurt, stay jealous.

Seattle > New York all day err day.

I guess in New York you can at least pay a hobo to lick your butthole.

Seattle has even more hobos per capita

I wonder how that place is as a bar

I really wanted to be a cop but my mom said absolutely not and shut that idea down
now I'm almost 30 and marginally employed, and I still kinda want to be a cop

not because I have this sense of justice! or anything like that, I just want to be able to legally drive super fast and get into fist fights with people

This is such a dumb post, part of why NYC is so great is the density.

Why would you want it to be a sprawl city like Phoenix or Dallas?

You probably shouldn't have listened to Mommy. Based on your reasoning for wanting to be a cop, I'd say you're a perfect candidate for the NYPD.

>you have to shop at street corner overpriced bodegas
If youre downtown, nearl a college or in a really white or touristy area yea but if you go into harlem or the heights the bodegas arent charging tourist prices and riping you off.