>girl next to me asks for help
>tell her to take derivative, set numerator equal to zero
>she tells me not to use terms like "numerator"
>i have to explain to her that the numerator is the top half of the fraction
>later hear her mumble something about how much she hates "horizontal isotopes"

>>math
>>girl
Found your problem

You could have gotten your dick wet. Instead you're here bitching about your period.
Are you 13?

>"horizontal isotopes"
What did she mean by this?

An atom that sheds one or more neutrons in a vector roughly parallel to the ground.

Thank you sir.

>horizontal isotopes

>in calculus 2
>first homework assignment, in math center working
>girl from class recognizes me and asks for help on homework
>I'm finished, so why not
>it turns out she doesn't even know what the concept of a derivative is, how to find one or even the notation for it

This was in spring semester of my freshmen year

>calc 3
>literally entire semester is extrapolating shit we learned last year with more variables
>people aren't understanding it

I hate the feeling of feeling like I'm smarter than other people, but fuck, how do you struggle with this shit?

What a boring story

I agree. Math is boring as shit.

>back when I was taking undergrad math baby calculus
>in class with literally all engineers
>I'm the only pure mathfag in class
>because of this professor only teaches to engineers
>all of them are literally retarded and only care about being told the exact step by step process to solve equations for their physics test
>professor buys in and holds their hand through every problem
>meanwhile nobody is interested in proofs or the underlying logical reason behind why newton designed maths to work this way

I swear engineers should just fuck off and take their own math courses.

But we do
I'm Chem E and had we have calc 3, diff eq, then two classes called Engineering Math in the engineering school

In Canadian uni's we have split math classes lol.
There's calc for engineering
Calc for business
And calc/analysis for math majors.
Pretty sure physics majors take their own calc or it's the same as the math majors.

Maybe because proofs and shit have little if any practical applications.

If I want to design a PID control loop for an electric heater, I need to calculate a definite integral. I don't give a single flying fuck about the proofs behind integrals. I just need to know how to do it.

If I go apply for a position as an engineer, they're not going to ask me to write out a proof or why Newton did math the way he did.

Which is exactly why we should keep your anti-intellectual bullshit quarantined to your own math courses.

>proofs and shit have little if any practical applications

written like a true idiot.

Maybe she was autistic bruh.

That works fine as long as you only need to keep using the same mathematical tools for roughly the same applications for the rest of eternity. This is not at all true in general.
Proofs tell us exactly when a particular mathematical technique actually works, for what kinds of problems, and often how accurate we expect certain methods to be.
Proofs can also sometimes tell us which problems may not have an analytic solution, and which problems are just too computationally hard to work with.

>putting up with indolence and ineptitude for sex

> >In class with all engineers
> >only mathfag
> "I swear engineers should just fuck off and take their own math courses."

I arrived into Veeky Forums yesterday, and from my experience so far this board is pretty toxic. Incel level shit with constant circlejerking.

fresh off the boat kid? heh

Yeah, however this dock seems to be riddled with aids. Ill be deporting back.

>newton designed maths to work this way
>newton

go fuck yourself kiddo

good fuck off faggot