Notes vs lectures

I'm someone studying Physics first year but I noticed something, it's that I just cannot follow what the teachers say but I understand their notes much faster which they put online. I'm considering not going to lectures anymore except if I have related questions but instead spend that time reading the notes myself. This is especially true for analysis and algebra, I actually understand the physics teacher.

What do you think Veeky Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

cheng.staff.shef.ac.uk/misc/lectures.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I did this for my Differential Equations and Linear algebra courses. Both because the teachers were rather slow and because I enjoyed getting lost with my girlfriend.

Just do whatever works for you. Just avoid being the fucker that never shows up to class and asks about stuff that was covered a week ago.

>1st year, analysis & algebra

Germany or Czech Republic?

Also, yes, it is much better to just study the notes if the lecturer is some autismal sperg that can't properly communicate the ideas and just occasionally give you additional insight. Only attend lectures if you don't understand the material from the notes or it doesn't make that much sense.

Swiss. But thanks anyway, I'm just curious to see if that is a method that works as that is my first year and I don't want to fail lel.

Have you tried skimming notes before class? This might help you follow along with what they're saying, and you may even catch a few subtleties you'd otherwise miss.

>in linear algebra
>homework is 26% of the grade, rest is tests
>tell my instructor I'm not gonna turn in any homework
>she tells me it's a bad idea, having a bad day on an exam could mean not passing
>12 weeks and 4 exams later, my grade is exactly a 74

Good times

>74
>Being proud of an A-

Dumbass.

cheng.staff.shef.ac.uk/misc/lectures.pdf

Your thoughts Veeky Forums ?

do both, don't be an idiot.

A-? wtf? in my country anything below 80 is just enough to pass the course

You're going to have a horrible time in college if you write down everything your lecturer says.

Only write the most important things, and understand the thought process behind transitioning from one thing to another.

Last year I had a mechanics professor that barely spoke English and literally just pointed to a slide show while talking in some Western European drivel that I simply couldn't parse.

So, I decided I wasn't going to waste $20k because of this Chernobyl reject, literally only wrote down important equations and where those equations came from (not entire derivations, just the start and finish). After class I would derive them myself, if I couldn't, I would read the section in the book and do some problems.

I'm of the opinion that letting a professor's adequacy, or at least, you ability to understand them, decide your grade is foolish.

That's because your country uses multiple choice tests

>that pic
Mario Micallef lecturing either the first year Analysis I or the second year Vector Analysis at Warwick?

Never liked lectures. I'm too stupid lol. I prefer self studying.

There's an easy solution to one of the things in there -- write fast and messy so that you have the stuff down and can actually follow the lecture in real time.
If you're one of those people that write super neatly and slowly, then you probably aren't following the lectures at all.

Nope.
Also I mean how can 74 be A-?
It should be like a C+

I did a year of self studying and found that I get much better performance on tests when I instead go to the lectures. I think it depends a lot on the lecturer, but being in the lectures forces you to be kind of interactive with him, which teaches in itself already quite a bit.

One person finds something objectionable and bases their entire view point about their on experience!

It is an utterly inane and flimsy argument.

Proper studies have already demonstrated that people learn optimally following different methods. You can not invalidate completely any one learning style as some people benefit less from it than others or have preferences for something else.

>because I enjoyed getting lost with my girlfriend.
What did he mean by this?

The solution is to not take notes and take pictures only, fuck writing shit down.

Pictures don't give you the extra stuff that the lecturer doesn't write down. Not all of it is important, but some of it may be particularly insightful.

it's my understanding that the grading scale in England would make a 74 an A-

He's American

Fooling around with my girlfriend at the time.

>letter grades
Is this pre-uni?

After the first year of physics were i tried to follow every lesson i realized that to me it was a loss of time follow lessons i wasn t familiar with every concept treated but in the case it was extremely worthly

in discrete structures & lineat algebra we had profs which simply copied the script on the overhead projector.. complete time waste so i studied myself.

this is the best course of action honestly. going to lectures is a waste time especially when we have the internet

Nah I think it's just an A, put it this way a first class degree translates 3.90-4.00 GPA

Berna ?

Did this for my physics degree in the UK, except I'd do all the learning 2 months before exams.

It works if you have the right mindset. Also gives you plenty of time to focus on lab work and internship / job / PhD applications.

Which uni?

I find that i don't understand straight away but if i copy notes i end up with shit that is similar to the slides they put up later.

Later when reviewing topics shit was easier to pick up from notes even if i didn't specifically remember the lecture content.]

then again i have completed courses from lecture slides only, took same amount of time but was considerably less easy to push out the maths.

>not going to lectures
>reading the notes
>convincing (tricking) yourself that you understand it better without the context of the lesson

i think you're doing everything wrong.

completely unrelated, but hear me out, because it's for a study. are you smoking weed by chance?