What's the best coating I can use on Fried Chicken?

What's the best coating I can use on Fried Chicken?

I'm going to use flamin hot cheetos on some and corn flakes on others, but I was wondering what else would work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WxKSnrUstDE
allrecipes.com/recipe/15128/captain-crunch-chicken/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hot cheetos?
what kinda spices you using?

Hmmm I didn't think that was a "thing" until I googled it. Found this picture as an example, looks pretty okay. I'd imagine the red stuff would ruin your fryer oil, if you care.
The non-red pieces were coated in crushed cheese-flavored potato chips it said.

What spices should I be using?

Which coatings would you use?

Oregano, white pepper, black pepper, celery salt, garlic salt, msg, paprika, mustard powder, thyme, ginger powder, basil

All of those at once, or just a handful?

I usually do the standard flour-egg wash-Panko coating. Its delicious of course, but sounds like you are trying alternates just for the hell of it.
Corn flake crumbs are great, I use them on fried fish. I've seen recipes that use dehydrated instant potato flakes. I suppose most any non-sweetened cereal would work, like Chex or maybe even Cheerios, crushed up. Or try snack foods like pretzels, potato chips, corn chips, Doritos, etc.
If you try it, please post pics.

Alright, I'll post picks tomorrow

Do not use doritos
Ive tried it before and i dont know why but it tastes like burnt bones, really bad

Glad for that information, thank you. I will not use doritos.

All at once, just use pic related.
It's so close to the Colonel but I add 1 tbsp chili and dip mine in hot sauce, egg and milk.

First I marinate it in buttermilk, hot sauce, and spices mixture (same spices as below)

Then coat it with spices

Spices
>Cayenne Pepper, Red Chilli Powder (Preferably Kashmiri), Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, ginger powder, oregano, thyme, mustard powder, msg, celery salt. Optional: Berbere

Coating:
1st
>self rising flour with a pinch of baking powder
2nd
>eggs and hot sauce mixture
3rd
>flour and baking powder thing again

if you want fried chicken that looks like the op image the only thing you should coat it with is seasoned flour. crumb or flake coatings are for philistines and you might as well just use shake and bake and neck yourself in shame at that point.

Capatin Crunch works, almost any cereal really if you grind it up.

Captain crunch does not cut the roof of your mouth!

youtube.com/watch?v=WxKSnrUstDE

He just wants good and interesting fried chicken, not some "authentico faggio ye olde ancient tradition of my forefathers" you asshole.
That's the whole point, which went flying over your manlet head at ten thousand miles per hour.

op asked for the best coating and posted a picture of restaurant fried chicken. the best coating and the one that will produce chicken like you get at a restaurant is seasoned flour. crumb coatings are not the best and will only produce shame at cooking the fried chicken equivalent of those recipes that are just meat and cream of mushroom soup.

Well you'd smash the shit out of it first, with a mortar and pestle or otherwise, to turn it into a breading. Several recipes exist.

allrecipes.com/recipe/15128/captain-crunch-chicken/

>bones in your chicken
fucking pleb

Crush up some Doritos Jacked and use them

i only bought chicken breasts, so I will have no bones in my chicken.

I'm sorrry dude. I went to the store to get all the ingredients you guys told me to and ended up just getting extra oil and corn flakes. I didn't pick up the spices. I dun fucked up.

Here's my ingredients, bout to get started. This is the first time I've ever made fried chicken before.

Any words of advice?

OP here and yes, this guy is right on the money.

Smash up the corn flakes and cheetos to make a proper breading. If you have a thermomiter, try to temp your oil to 350.

Maybe do a test strip of chicken to get an idea of cook time. Also have your chicken cut how you want it to be served before you fry it, cubed, strips or otherwise.

Good luck.

honestly, if you aren't putting MSG in it you aren't making optimal chicken

Finished on the left. How's it look?

Burnt bones?
Okay Heinrich Himmler

>How's it look?
like the cleanup will suck

Should've used a grease shield.

Kek.

BTFO

what is the point of a splatter shield? Just use a moist cloth to wipe up when you're done. there, was that so hard?

So you don't have to use a soft, warm, moist cloth to wipe up when you're done.

In all honesty, I've owned a splatter shield for years and always thought it was some weird foreign strainer and used it when I made pasta to drain the water by putting it over the top of the pan and pouring the water out and leave the pasta in the pan. No idea what is was ever for until I saw one at the store labeled.

>subscribing to the unitasker meme

>oy

You're right. We're so dumb. Who would buy a spoon just to stir with. A strainer just to strain with. An oven just to bake with. Water just to boil with. Fuck unitasking devices.

>hygiene

Always brine your fried chicken bro
Super easy and adds a whole other level to it
Either buttermilk or pickle juice, for 2-4 hours beforehand. Trust me

At what stage do you add msg?

I would recommend mango habanerro sauce

hot sauce mixture?

I use MSG as a "dry brine" meaning I coat the entire outside of the chicken with it, the crystals dissolve in the moisture that is drawn out, then that moisture gets drawn back in as the wonderful salt diffuses into the meat. Takes about an hour. Chicken will suck up a surprisingly large amount of MSG, so coat the outside very well.
Once its been dry brined with MSG, go through your normal breading procedure. I always apply spices directly to the meat surface before the breading layer.
Fast food chicken always has MSG. Truth is people simply like it, and a place that didn't use it would not survive due to losing taste tests.

Thanks.

>So cover chicken pieces in msg for an hour
>Cover in spice or herb
>Cover in flour
>Egg or milk wash
>Cover in flour (or preferred coating)

Sound right?

brine your chicken, dip it in buttermilk, dredge in seasoned flour (cayenne, white pepper, black pepper, oregano, thyme, sage, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder. basically throw your spice rack at it. season it more than you think it should be.), dip back in buttermilk, back in the flour. let sit for 15 minutes to set the batter. fry in peanut oil or lard at 350 until golden brown.

Op here and no, it wasn't hard at all.

Aight my negro friend Ill brine it next week time.

I didn't add msg. I don't like msg.