Looking for a good chilli recipe. Competition chilli tends to be flavoursome, but lacking a good 'burn'...

Looking for a good chilli recipe. Competition chilli tends to be flavoursome, but lacking a good 'burn'. The hot recipes online are just meat and hot sauce.

Anyone got a recipe with flavour that will also make me sweat?

Other urls found in this thread:

edamam.com/recipe/stan-frazier-s-secret-chili-fe06695eae58e8274e8cde4adc52d169/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what do you think of this one??

edamam.com/recipe/stan-frazier-s-secret-chili-fe06695eae58e8274e8cde4adc52d169/

Different!

Not sure about the sausage!

I used a pound of bacon as a base and cooked 80/20 ground beef in the bacon fat. The rest is filler basically. Just add until it tastes good.
Also, don't listen to Veeky Forums. Beans are perfectly acceptable.

>Beans are perfectly acceptable

Die.

>beans are a requirement for good chili

Ftfy

PROTIP: If you have a decent chili recipe that isn't hot/spicy enough ADD HOT AND SPICY THINGS.

60% of the time it works every time.

Filthy Euro here.

I live in America, though, and when I tried American chili for the first time, I realised it's basically the same thing as a dish I grew up eating, so I just make that one but use American chilli powders in place of powdered paprikas and beer in place of wine.

Beef shin meat, boneless, trimmed of fascia and cut into cubes, 900g/2lbs
Tenderiser powder, 1tbsp
Mixed chilli powders, 6-8tbsp
>adjust the amounts and varieties to your preferences, but I use 1tbsp each of cayenne and chipotle powders, 2tbsp of smoked Mexican-style paprika powder and 4tbsp of sweet Hungarian-style paprika powder
Onion, finely chopped, 2 large
Garlic, finely minced, half a head's worth of cloves
Red chillies, finely minced, 2-4 (depending on size)
>deseed if you want it less pungent
Salt, as necessary
Cooking fat of choice, 80ml/third cup US
>I use beef tallow, but you can use lard or oil or whathaveyou
Beer, 350ml/one 12oz bottle
Tomato, any plum shaped variety, peeled but whole, about 8
Beef stock, homemade, 1 litre/quart
>optional: beans of whatever variety (I use kidney or black), cooked from 200g/half pound dry
>optional: Mexican oregano, a few handfuls (fresh) or heavy pinches (dry)
Green chilli, thinly sliced, 4 (jalapeños are perfect)
Shallot, peeled and thinly sliced, 4
Coriander/cilantro, chopped, 2 handfuls of leaves

Wet the meat then coat with the tenderiser and chilli powders and set aside to dry marinate; meanwhile, place the onion, garlic and red chilli into a pot with the cooking fat and set to high heat.
Salt generously and, when fragrant, watch for first signs of colouring then add about a third of the beer.
Reduce the beer back out then watch for first signs of browning and add half the remaining beer.
Reduce the beer back out then watch for first signs of caramelising and add whatever beer is left.
Reduce the beer back out; meanwhile, crush the tomatoes by hand and separate the solids from the juice.
Add the tomato solids and sauté about with the aromatics.
Add the tomato juice when the pan contents begin to look too dry and reduce out.
Add the beef cubes and stir about to get some colour on each piece.
Add the stock and stir quickly to evenly distribute the chilli powders throughout.
>Add the beans, if using.
Bring to a simmer then lower the heat just enough to maintain that.
Allow to reduce to desired consistency, then off the heat.
>Stir in the oregano, if using.
Adjust salt to taste and bowl up, topping each serving with a few 'peño and shallot slices and some coriander.
Eat with cornbread or rice.
Also nice: make into a casserole-style pie (like shepherd's/cottage) using a cornbread batter topping.

If you're content with shit tier food, perhaps.

Sounds good!

Wow! A European makes chili con carne better than any Texan who ever lived! Nice job, I like to see texasfags put in their place. Recipe looks great.

Not bad eurobro.
I'd let you eat with me anytime.

Thanks. I just modified pic related so that it could pass for chili. Both are good.

>Anyone got a recipe with flavour that will also make me sweat?

Any you want. Just add your choice of hot peppers if you want more flavor/burn. I'll post my basic procedure in a moment.

>Recipe looks great.
>>chili powder
>>meat tenderizer powder
>>looks great
>>no mention of procedure

lol

OK, real chili recipe coming through.

First off, you need to start with actual chili peppers. Not powder. Not some spice mix packet bullshit. Actual peppers. It's the name of the dish.....

Clockwise from upper left: Anaheim (fresh), Guallio (dried), Arbol (dried), Ancho (dried), Jalapenos, and a couple habaneros.

I usually don't use habaneros in chili because they have sort of a sweet taste that's better suited to seafood IMHO, but they were what I had.

Cut off stems

Put the dried peppers in a blender and add beer. Cheap beer is OK, I'm using MGD here.

While the dried chilies are soaking in the beer to soften them up, get started on your meat.

Here we've got a couple of sirloin steaks. Get 'em seasoned.

....and grill them. Don't worry about cooking them all the way through, just get some color on the outside. Grilling them provides much more flavor than just cooking in your pot/pan.

At the same time roast the green chilies.

you want something that looks like this.

Chop up the green chilies

>six days to the year of our carrot-y god-emperor overlord
>being retarded
You'll fit right in.

...and get them in the blender

Then blend up all that peppery goodness.

I suppose if you want to be traditional you could use a molcajete but screw that, I'm using the blender.

What's the point of "tenderizer" for a long-simmered dish?

Get your meat cut up.

Then get the rest of your meat ready.

We've got bison, pork, and venison.

....and the rest of the ingredients. Beer, diced onion, tomatoes, and V8.

Never make chili with water. Use flavorful liquids like beer, beef stock, tomato juice, etc.

>hurr durr no procedure!!!
>recipe gives procedure
Just how inbred are you?

Brown the meat in the bottom of your pot. Note: Brown, not just gray. The flash reflecting off the inside of the shiny pot is making this look lighter in color than it should be.

>v8 and miller
I'm out

Perhaps you meant to link to a different post than the one you actually did? The post in question was a list of ingredients. The procedure was in a different post.

I don't expect any more from a reactionimagefag.

Once the meat is browned add the onions. The moisture from the onions will help deglaze any of the fond from the pot.

Keep cooking until the onions are translucent (when this photo was taken it's still not done)

When the onions are translucent then add everything else. There are some dry spices too. Smoked paprika on the left, cumin on the right.

Yeah, both are horrible beverages, but they work perfectly here. You don't want a strong tasting beer or it will dominate the flavor of the peppers.

Simmer for several hours. Here we are about 3 hours in.

Done, at about 6 hours on a very low simmer.

I do ground pork, diced bacon, coarse ground chuck, chopped sirloin, and thicker cut pork chunks (like for carne guisada). Can of tomato sauce, can of rotel, lots of beef broth. Reconstitute a couple of dried anchos and guajillos and put them in a blender with beef stock for your chili base. Onions, garlic etc. Beans served in a separate pot. You can mix them in your bowl but never in your chili pot. Ever.

The tenderiser is an insurance policy because shin meat is notoriously tough. If it offends you, leave it out and double the amount of stock so that you can stew it longer.

The procedure is mentioned in the post following the ingredients list.

Also, I made no mention of where to get your chilli powders. Excepting paprika, I pulverise my own from whole, but some people may find that a bit of an ordeal, in which case, using pre-powdered is no big sin so long as you're reasonably certain of their freshness. As I go through about 800g of paprika in a year, it's always fresh (since it's sold in 150ish g canisters where I live).

The recipe I posted uses fresh chillies as well, just as yours does.

Give my method a try before dismissing it wholesale. I've tried your way before, too, and they're both very good and strikingly similar. The outcomes between your method and mine differ in that mine has notably less of an alcoholic taste due to reducing out the beer rather than adding it as-is to be used as a stewing liquid.
All the same, let me offer an honest 'thank you' for your input, even if it was worded rather sourly.

>Beans are perfectly acceptable.

Regardless of the acceptability in the definition of chili, if OP wants no beans, then he wants no beans.
Taste is subjective.

senpai i copied your recipe, good call. this shit is pretty dope.

couple variations tho: i used 'meatloaf mix' which is beef, veal and pork, came out good af. also used sirloin tips. and killians instead of miller. all subs came from what i had on hand.

Make regular chili, add a jar of salsa, add scorpion pepper sauce

>chili
TEXAS GET OUT.

Good contribution Euro, saving this for next store trip.