This guy was the greatest mathematican

of the 20th century and probably all time

agree or disagree

yes

*waits for la Von Neumann meme

isnt the greatest mathematician of all time that indian guy with lots of unpublished and lost papers?

raj something?

Von Neumann was actually better

Von Neumann is one of those cases

a man with supreme intellect that didn't accomplish anything

its a shame really

no, he is only great because shit background and no proper education.

It's Ramanujan, and there really isn't a "greatest mathematician"; this discussion is autistic.

Ramanujan. Dude could spit out complex integrals (not the autistic high school ones) within seconds.

Greatest mathematician is not a very well-defined category unfortunately.

every mathematician that specializes in pure math and dies a natural death deserves a medal

Grothendieck was alot more revolutionary in terms of accomplishment wise than Ramanujan

Isn't professor Xavier from X-men a fictional character?

In any case, the guy from numberphile is the best mathematician ever

I don't understand, Foucault wasn't a mathematician

kys frogposter

You got your answer. Ramanujan produced only useless pi-formula.

Seems to be from the opinion of all my maths professors.

Ramanujan is someone that had amazing Gauss/Euler level Brilliance yet didn't accomplish most

Grothendieck is undoubtely the greatest of the 20th century

they are all unanimous about Grothendieck being the GOAT?

>Seems to be from the opinion of all my maths professors.
not all time. 20th century.

what do they say about him

do they worship him as like a god or something?

Just that he's the greatest (probably) of the 20th.
By greatest I think they mean made the most important contributions in mathematics.

this is perhaps the dumbest meme on this board right now. He is not even comparable to Gauss, Euler, Cantor, Lagrange, Newton, Von Neumann, etc. These mathematicians made groundbreaking discoveries in multiple fields and then other ones not even in pure math.

Is that Foucault?

That's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I see this guy.

>implying anyone can approach the genius of Galois

no, just no

who is galois?

Are you retarded? The only people who said Grothendeik was the greatest were those who wrote in his obituary. In terms of overall influence he is minute.

old boy evariste

Hard to say. There were many great mathematicians of the 20th century.

20th century.
Reading comprehension retards, it's hard.

All of modern algebraic geometry traces back to Grothendieck. That's an entire branch. Moreover, certain categorical innovations from his school are now indispensable in algebraic topology. And then there's K-theory, which is of great importance to differential geometry and operator algebras.

you might think Euler and Gauss are overrated until you actually go through and look at the insane number of absolutely critical ideas they're credited with

20th century you fucking retard.

"and probably all time" you fucking retard

Uh, lots of people can? And also Galois wasn't a 20th century mathematician. Galois, unfortunately, was a 19th century mathematician, and that means he automatically loses to any one of the following: Gauss, Riemann, Abel, fucking David Hilbert... need I go on?

>All of modern algebraic geometry traces back to Grothendieck
and Serre, Chevalley, Weil, Zariski, Artin, Lang...

>probably
You retard

No, you're the retard here. I'm not even the user that you're responding to, but I'm definitely agreeing that it is you who is the retard.

le /cuteboy/ mathematique desu

All these people lived at least twice as long

yepo

He's the cutest mathematician ever.

>ywn make sweet love to galois after a night on the town wining, dining and beheading monarchists to the jazzy beat of artillery fire
why live?

Find someone similar looking and teach him algebra. Then go behead the Saudi king.

Alan Turing is up there. He solved an open problem in mathematics. Was searching through an old archive of his papers and came across work he did in Lie Algebra & Riemann Hypothesis. Guy was an overall outstanding mathematician.

Grothendieck abstracted abstraction until abstract mathematics seemed obvious. He wouldn't do anything unless it felt natural. One of the mathematicians of the 20th century.

>teach him algebra
I want a boyfriend, not a little brother

well i don't mean to polish my own boots but i once guessed the amount of jelly beans in a jar correct to 6 digits

But if you wanted a Galois of your own! I hope you get a nice bf one day.

There was a qt senior in the math department (i'm a chemfag) who looked about 16, wore comfy sweaters and solved every single challenge problem of the week the department put out, but he left for grad school shortly after we met

I should just make a fetlife profile and list "advanced mathematics," "regicide" and "the rights of man" as kinks desu

>of the 20th century and probably all time
>and probably all time
>probably all time
>all time

That sucks, but try not to lose hope. The world is half full of guys, so i believe you will meet another nice and qt guy, and maybe things turn out different with him then.

Why would you want to date. Math major? We are highly autistic, unemployable (pure math), and usually unattractive. We have no social status either and about as good as dating someone that studies philosophy but slightly better.

Because many, especially non-academic people with bad experiences in school math, tend to think math is only for geniuses. Some people also find intelligence sexy. You will know what I mean when a cute [insert prefered gender here] says "I can't probably make any proper comments on these things, but would you like to tell me what you are researching/studying?"

was grothendieck autisitc?

That's wrong. Galois died at 21 and Abel died at 26. So no, not all those people lived twice as long. Second, while most if them did live twice as long, they all accomplished 1000x more than Galois did... Not just 2x more. Like Galois, many of their results were published while they were teenagers... Gauss for example and Abel are particularly noteworthy for this.

What if Galois had not spent 99% of his energy on politics? Maybe he would have been a bit more productive?

Pure math is not unemployable. Being a plant could make you unemployable. But only to an extent. If you would go to waste then that investment would be for nothing so they can't go all hardcore on you either without losing out on that investment.

No David Hilbert? John von Neumann? Bernhard Riemann???

under rated post desu

What would be the point of giving someone a medal after they are dead?

what did hilbert do?

There was a very smart guy in my class who failed every single math test, but he was still smarter than everyone. I can't remember his name

Voldemort with glasses?

my sides just went to their projective limit;

>galois losing to abel
9/10 bait

Everything

logic, number theory, classical algebraic geometry, infinite dimensional linear algebra and inner product spaces, axiomatic geometry, etc.

pretty much anything that can be understood well through axiomatic methods, he did it.

kek

so hilbert is the GOAT 20th century or grothendieck?

the thing that is amazing Ramanujan is the fact that he has a shitty poo in the loo background, imagine if he was born in a place where there's proper education and well-being, I bet he'd would be a literal math god.

but then again hypothetical situations are useless to discuss.

i don't even know what is the point of this thread other than to jerk off at each other inferiority to the actual mathematicians.

No, it's someone who actually produced work of value.

Got himself killed like a dumbshit long before he could be classed in the same category as people like Euler and Gauss, which he probably would have ultimately.