STEM professions:

What're the most lucrative STEM professions within Veeky Forums's objective opinion?

E>T>M>S

>Engineering>Technology
Mfw Wngineering is technology

'Helpful'.

>trip+name
>expects good answers on a usual small thread and a more slow board

Anyway, math related shit always helps you the most and so is physics and maybe chemistry but you would have to specialize on something other than just "Chemistry" itself

Engineering's good too but the best ones are EE and MechE

My buddy graduated a semester earlier than the traditional 4 years after high school, he's 22 now and just got a raise to 100k. He was a comp sci major, really bright guy

>Tripcode.
It was to stop people claiming to be and subsequently derailing the thread.

>he best ones are EE and MechE.
Perfect, exactly the information I was after.

>He was a comp sci major, really bright guy
This is the first time I've seen anyone on Veeky Forums complement a CS major.

>objective opinion
No such thing exists.

ME is usually classical mechanics, thermodynamics and close to materials science.

EE is closer to modern physics. It deals with the unseen.
Modern physics has a much larger cross section with EE through semiconductors, optics, etc.
Plus control theory has been typically a field associated with EE inside engineering and generally with applied math.

>>He was a comp sci major, really bright guy
>This is the first time I've seen anyone on Veeky Forums complement a CS major.

There are too many memes and shitters on this board. It usually matters how and how much you apply yourself and how much talent you got a lot more than what kind of degree you got inside STEM.
Example:
One of my professors is a Physicist, yet he is interested in engineering and now he teaches engineering students. One of his research partners in the US got his degree in EE and currently he is Professor of Physics.

What you can enjoy and do for a long(er) time pretty much depends on your own personal taste and abilities. If you can learn on your own (which you should be capable of doing no matter what) and you have a broad enough degree you can probably transition pretty easily.

>objective
>opinion

>within
>opinion

I advise mastering reading and writing before considering STEM, friend

u dont need art in life or stem though

Any geologist brothers in the thread?

Computer engineering used to be pretty average, but the IOT fad is so big right now it's like being a web deveveloper during the 90s .com bubble. Every company is desperate to throw money at someone who can get their blenders and dildos controlled through a smartphone. In the last few months I've had two companies offer to pay me more than twice what I used to make. I took one of them.

Becoming a quant on wall street

Mining, chemical and materials engineering are all quite lucrative
MechEng and EE are also profitable but there's so many people studying it that the value of the degrees is diminishing

>tripcode
>seeking career advice from Veeky Forums
>"objective opinion"
just leave

Isn't Electrical Engineering's job growth in the US completely stagnant though? Like I'm pretty sure its not growing at all.

What should I take as undergrad if I'm considering going for medicine?
Pre-med isn't really a thing here. Is 3 years of bio-med worth doing? Will there be jobs in it if i don't get into med school?

There's also this trend of there being a million different types of new engineering positions that used to be fulfilled by electrical or mechanical engineers. Rather, you should look at all the engineering fields that an electrical engineer could easily fill. I know a popular new type of engineering is biomedical engineering, all they do is take electrical engineers and give em' a little more training in biology.

>MechEng and EE are also profitable but there's so many people studying it that the value of the degrees is diminishing

>Implying most of those people are any good. >Implying those people get a MSc which is the bare minimum for most competent person.
>Implying there are no need for actually talented people in the industry.

If your intelligence is meme tier then you most certainly shouldn't pursue a degree. It's university after all.

Depends what you do.
Engineering and tech (CS) average great across the board. But chemists make some bank on the upper end.

Mathematics can score high in fields of stats like actuary work. Other than that its just teaching.

I study psych and mathematics. Ill probably be a teacher or adjunct at community college. Dont be me if money is your reason for higher education.

Anything medical especially in rural or remote areas.

Doesn't matter what your degree is as long as you meet the reqs for the medical school you are looking at.

I recommend chemistry or biomed simply because there is a huge volume of bio majors applying to medical school.

Plus, if med school falls out of the equation you are more employable than them.

math phd, 300k starting

>in dollars
> starting | median | senior/management position

~Mathematics= 56,200 | 111,110 | 167,250
~Electrical Engineering= 59,240 | 93,010 | 146,820
~Computer Engineering= 65,570 | 111,730 | 167,100 *Computer Science
~Computer Programming= 44,450 | 79,530 | 130,800 *Computer Science
-Physics= 55,610 | 111,580 | 185,230
-Mechanical Engineering= 53,640 | 83,590 | 128,430
-Aerospace Engineering= 67,850 | 107,830 | 158,700
-Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science= 50,630 | 89,820 | 132,180
-Mechanical and Ocean Engineering= 61,110 | 93,110 | 149,330
-Chemical Biological Engineering= 51,480 | 86,220 | 139,520
-Materials Science Engeneering= 47,740 | 91,000 | 149,310
-Nuclear Engineering= 66,650 | 102,950 | 152,220

When theres more people flooding a certain field of engineering there are bound to be more people who are competent
For every field of engineering you have plebs and people who are competent and I imagine that the ratio of these people is roughly the same across engi fields
I don't entirely get your argument

Should I go for a MaSc or a M.Eng.?

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you, user.

if youre willing to sell your soul, be a trader for Jane Street. college grad compensation package is upwards of 200k a year

what?

>47,740
Ayy lmalow

Oil Engineer, 500k starting, 2 million in 5 years

very misleading info and un-cited.

Real answers are
Actuary is 200k range
Mining, especially Oil geo specialization is 200k range.
Algorithmic trading/finance is 300k range.

- Niche fields like data science, actuarial science, etc...
- Chemical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Civil Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering
- Sciences/Maths

I'm guessing you're not a math major if you think 5x500k=2mil.

Can someone tell me why electrical engineering is typically considered one of the best types of engineering? I am a sophomore studying it and see people rate it highly all the time

>implying you need a masters

PE is all you need. maybe some certifications. masters is actually pretty meh for ROI.

>Mining, especially Oil geo specialization is 200k range

nah m8. petroleum engineering is in the toilet right now. mining is okay but the placement rates are still low.

x=0.8 brainlet

clearly not an oil engineer

I'm well aware it is in the toilet, you used to see numbers like what this guy posted about 500k starting, but a more realistic number given the market is 200k median. I don't feel like I misrepresented anything that you won't find on the US labor statistics website.

no its 700k at an absolute minimum for even simple oil color testing engineers

math and physics proving yet again that every other field is just an applied and less hard version of them

Anyone here a telecoms engineer or know if it's a good thing to get into? I live in Australia btw

This dog's head... idk dude, it's like it should be on a bigger body, then you see those tiny fluffy paws...

>EE
>so many people studying it
Somewhat true for mechE but not EE. Everyone is doing CS like cum guzzling faggots.

>STEM thread
Redpill me on Drones, I want to get an Engineering degree in Unmanned Vehicles or whatever they dress it up as.

What about plain old chemistry?

Gender studies paid by soros.

Go to any school do any stem if you actually like it, then after a few years a top 15 mba program will be the most lucrative.

All shit jobs that show what a beta you are. Those majors will land you a crap job in a shitty factory in a shit hole location.

comp sci best sci
sit at home and collect paychecks
nothing could possibly be better than this

geology seems pretty fun. What do you guys actually do

The worst

I have a bachelor's in chemistry and about to start a job as a material analyst at a fortune 500 company. Starting salary is 50k.. Should i just go to grad school for Phd?? Not sure what to do

Best would be to somehow get a masters in chemical engineering or something.

It's stagnant because the job market is constantly being replaced, not completely locked off.

Mostly be unemployed

>implying that physics isn't an applied and less hard version of math.

>Implying implication is implicated.

What can I do that will actually get me a job?
My circumstances are shitty and I have to go to uni, no choice.

If you are willing to move to remote places and work in mines/oil rigs and shit, you can make a lot of money doing that afaik. But as with everything it all comes down to supply and demand.

>It was to stop people claiming to be and subsequently derailing the thread.

>Being this new

good job market

always in demand, despite numbers aren't growing

probably what he said though,