When to Buy Storebought Ingredients

What are some acceptable recipe ingredients to buy premade, where the DIY process is very time consuming/laborious/expensive or where there is no real difference in taste?

I submit puff pastry or any laminated dough. Who has the counter and freezer space to roll out enriched dough and then overlapping cold-formed layers of equally sized butter in between multiple (un)wrapping & chilling sessions?
AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!

>What are some acceptable recipe ingredients to buy premade

Anything you want to buy premade is acceptable. Who are you trying to impress exactly?

Tahini

You're on a board where 60-80% of the threads are about buying premade meals from restaurants, I think you're good m8

dry pasta

Pic related is better than any homemade brownies I've tried

Pretty much almost 100% of pastries you buy at a bakery that have puff pastry in them are from factories. The process to make puff pastry is basically reserved to factories that can temperature control properly.

I hate baking so anything related to that basically that you cant heavily customize.(Okay you can custom do anything but come the fuck on, homemmade crust is minor compared to homemmade filling).

Noodles, some breads (Not the sliced normie bread I mean like frozen yeasty breads etc).

When it comes to saving time its all flour, doughs, baked stuff. Its just not worth the effort for me and on top of that I rarely even cook it. Also stocks, while easy to make I just dislike doing it because it makes the whole house smell.

Fuck yeah! Seconded.
I don't even like sweets, but these are amazing. Cant mess with perfection.

where do you get store bought stock that doesn't suck tho?

hummus
You dont save much money
It's just annoying to clean blenders/food processors
They dont taste much different

Same deal with filo dough, the paper-thin sheets of dough used for spinach pie or baklava, among other things.

I agree on dry pasta. I've seen youtube pros make ot from scratch, without unusual equipment, reasonably quickly, but my own efforts at pasta were time-consuming messes with underwhelming results. Still fun on occasion, with someone to cook with, and I admittedly didn't practice enough to get good, but it just didn't seem worth the effort to me.

i beg to differ and you might be a faggot

I love puff pastry, but all store bought stuff is complete shit (especially pic related); making it at home requires a ton of time and you to be an expert w/ zero room for error; and unless you live in a high populated area, there is no baker with fresh puff pastry on hand

god damnit I love puff pastry and wish I could get good puff pastry

>premade meals from restaurants

As apposed to meals you buy from restaurants that you cook yourself?

if you care that much, about such a small difference

youre probably a fag

Salt and Pepper

It's a pain in the ass to make pot sticker wraps so it's okay to just buy them. Same with pastas too.

Those do exist

and at least one out of twenty will fucking burst in the goddamn pot

makes me so mad

>mfw made puff pastry many times before in a regular kitchen
It's not as hard as people think it is.

Just make it yourself man, like I said it's not as hard as people make it out to be. Make your dough, let it rest. Make your butter block- basically take cool butter and 'knead' it with a little bit of flour until it's a homogeneous paste, then form it into a rectangle just under half the size of the size of your rolled-out dough. put it on your dough centered horizontally but right at the bottom, then fold over the other half of your dough and seal all around the edges to fully enclose the butter. Put the whole thing in the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then do your first book fold. Every time you do a fold, let it rest 20 minutes, then do your next book fold at 90 degrees to the last. It's not difficult, it's just a little time consuming.

What recipe do you use for pasta? I found that, even when I started out and my attempts at it were pretty amateurish, homemade pasta was definitely better than most any storebought, especially for filled pasta like ravioli since you can also make the filling. If you haven't tried it, the French Laundry Cookbook pasta recipe is pretty fantastic.

The one thing that really jumps to mind for me as a thing I wouldn't try to make myself is filo. I have never met anyone who makes it themselves.

>Still fun on occasion, with someone to cook with
The idea of making pasta with mah wife sounds terrible. Either I'd make it or she would make it, it's not a group activity.

Yes

canned tomatoes

>not canning a shitload of homegrown, perfectly ripe tomatoes
I shiggy diggy my niggy

>using real tomatos
a shiggy diggy doo to you 2 beau

Is your puff pastry standard procedure or is that lifted from cooks illustrated?

Feels like I've seen something pretty damn close to that in it.