Pills for the GRE

Lads I'm taking the GRE (general) in two weeks. I've done a couple of mock tests and I've done ok, but I need to KILL the quant section. Many people who apply to the program I want unironically have 170 scores (maximun score).

I've never taken Adderall, Modafinil or any of the likes but I'm considering doing it for the test. From what I've read (there's not much really, mostly rants about how it is "inmoral") it doesn't makes you smarter - obviously - but it does help you with concentration and stamina.

Has anyone tried this for a test? Does it gives you an edge? Any advice?

those drugs permanently reduce your iq so you think you're doing better but you're just doing the same thing...

If you're seeking legal speed to bump up your GRE score, you may be in the wrong field m8

I did my undergrad in stats, I have a solid background in math. I know the material and frankly it is not hard. But that doesn't mean I'm not liable to make a mistake or ran out of time.

And although the verbal score is not that important, I can stand out if I get a good score.

I'm applying to a masters in finance program from an Ivy. The bulk of the applicants are Chineese students who seriously have 170 scores.
One question wrong, one unansewred question can put get me a 165 and put me at the back of the queue. You're damn rigth I will seize every small advantage I can get my hands on.

They purely help reduce fatigue which generally won't be a problem during a big test. I have never heard of any credible evidence of them helping concentration in those without a condition like ADHD so I would assume that's purely a placebo effect that people assume.

When you weigh the pretty much nonexistent benefits versus the possible negative side effects which could happen during the test such as increased anxiety, then I don't see them being worth it. The only thing that would possible be worth it is if you need more stamina while studying and if you took low dosages of modafinil which would give little to no side effects.

>You're damn rigth I will seize every small advantage I can get my hands on.
Then use amphetamines? the guy gave you an advice, but sounds like you really want this drug

With how long the test is, unless you take something that doesn't taper off at all over four hours you'll be fucking yourself over.

I have a math minor from my undergrad and honestly that didn't help me too much with how nonintuitively most of the questions are phrased. Just spend 50 hours minimum doing practice problems and you'll be fine. Buy the Magoosh online GRE prep if you can afford it.

Well sorry if that came as defensive.

I'm trying to establish whether it is beneficial or not.

I don't want to get high or anything like that. I just want to do well on the test because I'm in for a very competitive admision process.

it can actually overstimulate you, which is just as bad. i'm a turbo autist who took adderall once and I was stuck in the same loop of thinking for 3 hours straight.
If you want to use the drug, start now to establish your optimal dose before the big day.
Good luck on your GRE btw

>basically a coffee substitute for 8 hours
I take it sometimes, but it makes me sweat and stink so I don't take it often.

Thanks m8.

>i'm a turbo autist who took adderall once and I was stuck in the same loop of thinking for 3 hours straight.

That's one of the things that scares me about it. I would try it a week before or something to see how my body reacts to it, but maybe I'll be so unlucky that precisely on test day my body reacts bad to it.

What its good for is making you give a shit about stuff that you would be too lazy to do otherwise. And be able to do it until the stuff wears off. If you take it too much it loses this ability, though. I use em for every test myself but I'm addicted to opiates right now so dont listen to me.

>If you take it too much it loses this ability, though

I would only take it this once. (Hopefully)

> I use em for every test myself but I'm addicted to opiates right now so dont listen to me.

Bummer. I hope it gets better for you man.

>Opinions from people who have never taken it and just regurgitating what they read online
OP I've been taking them 4-5 times a week for a while, no, it doesn't make you smarter but it makes you extremely motivated and you'll actually enjoy cramming. Idiots can go on about it being immoral all they want but they're drawing arbitrary lines in the sand to boost their own ego despite being brainlets from the start.

I will warn you it's easy to get focused on things that aren't work. Also side effects are mostly just a complete loss of appetite, maybe crashing if you take a ton of them.

Also a couple other things I forgot to mention, it's not a caffeine alternative and that's a stupid way of putting it. There's no real reason to be worried if you're being reasonable with dosages; I'm personally extremely reluctant to start new meds myself (have a bottle of Xanax sitting around for legit insomnia completely unrelated to adderall usage, tried it a couple times, didn't get much out of it but I'm still not really comfortable with it).

Don't dose anything you haven't got experience with on exam day.

I thought GRE is not important and is the last thing that is looked upon. (At least for grad school). Maybe its better to concentrate on other credentials OP?

I'd definitely recommend taking it several times beforehand during studying to find the dosage that works for you. The first time I used Adderal was to study thru the AM for a test around noon, but the person who gave it to me was morbidly obese and told me to just take the dose she did. It made me hyperactive and I had auditory hallucinations later in the day (and got a C on the test) so yeah give it a few tries before you use it on the GRE. I took half of one the next/last time and did a lot better overall.

This.

Sharp Thought by Country Life. It's a tad expensive but if you are wanting excellent memory and clarity this will help. There also shouldn't be any side effects.

I already have a low IQ so I got nothing to lose.

This is now a GRE scores dickwaving contest

I got 162 quantitative, 165 verbal, and 4 on the essay with no studying whatsoever. I plan to retake it in December after having actually studied

Modafinil doesn't. Try again.

I got 163, 166, and 5 respectively.
fucking brainlets.