/cg/ - Chemistry General: Picture for Ants Edition

Primarily for the purpose of discussing chemistry, asking chemistry related questions and showing off chemistry related pictures, videos or academic accomplishments.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene#Degradation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shit, I wish I had anything to discuss, or ask... or show off atm
here, have an anime girl

>shit, I wish I had anything to discuss, or ask... or show off atm
h-haha

I dunno, I have written a paper on hydrolysis of ortho-alkylderivatives of aryl sulfochlorides
basically, frontal nucleophilic attack, provided sufficient water is present

disregard the disgusting visuale, pls

also, large alkyl group can fucking bend the benzene ring (c. - tBu-substitued)

optimized transitional states that I managed to find somewhere

According to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene#Degradation
>Oxidation usually occurs at the tertiary carbon atom present in every repeat unit. A free radical is formed here, and then reacts further with oxygen, followed by chain scission to yield aldehydes and carboxylic acids.
Let's overdo the oxidation bit and mess around with some peroxide cleavage to see if we can create some mechanism for this. There isn't any mechanism I was able to find online, which means nobody can cheat.

oxidation mechanism for an alkane?
ridiculous

Dont question polymer magic

This is really nice, user. Link?

must you use those stupid anime pictures

it's not in english, though

ya

Can someone explain Hartree-Fock-Approximation as if i was an idiot which i am?

Is chemistry engineering relevant?

any other field that connects biology and chemistry besides biochemistry?

molecular boilogy

lel, don't forget 'chemical biology'

which one would you say gets you closer to a job in the pharmaceutical industry?

none of above
medicinal chemistry

The people best positioned to answer that are the current hiring managers, HR shits and recruiters.

In 2006 I was present when Prof. Jeff Long literally promised several dozen first year grad students (at Cal) that the department had 'deep ties to industry' and could 'guarantee that 2/3rds of the incoming class would get industry jobs immediately upon graduating'. (With the other 1/3 going to academia.)

It was total bullshit, when those students graduated 5 years later the job market had collapsed and there were essentially no positions available.

If faculty at one of the best ranked chemistry departments in the country can't deliver, why expect Veeky Forums to have the inside track?

>why expect Veeky Forums to have the inside track?
because I like to think that amidst the sea of shitposting, there's a few souls who know what they're talking about

a man can hope

check out chemjobber
>How bad is it? How the heck should I know? Quantifying the chemistry job market is what this blog is about. That, and helping chemists find jobs.

(i don't want to put the full link b/c in the past the url has been in the banned list, a simple google search will turn it up immediately)

skip the bullshit (currently there are US pres election posts up, not something that I would have expected from reading the site years ago)
but there's still relevant content

best of luck

thanks, bud