Not Lupus/Med and Nurse fags only

>Med fags get in here.
Patient is a 19 year old Caucasian male. 5'9 and 130 pounds. Has a 4MM kidney stone passing through his bladder.
Patient also has elevated levels of Alkaline phosphatase that was noticed during a clinic check up just a few months ago through urine and blood specimen. Everything else was in the normal range. Patient often complains of being generally tired and lacks any energy. He complains of sharp pins and needles on the sides of his middle and lower back when mobile and active and wonders how kids his age at his Unversity have so much energy compared to him. Patient has a very small calorie intake on day to day basis. He is prescribed Adderall XR that could explain the low appetite. However my money is on a endocrine disorder. Specifically Hyperparathyroidism. It could explain the bitchy mood he often experiences. Patient has braces and occasionally every so often through his check ups has received X rays for his Orthodontist. He notes most of the lead shields that are worn during his X-rays never had an extension to protect his Thyroid. Any more input with the information provided?

Other urls found in this thread:

ehealthme.com/ds/adderall/blood alkaline phosphatase increased/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nice stamps bro
memorise more next time xD

Aids

sarcoidosis

Why are there med fags on sci? I suppose missed the meeting where they included tradesmen and practitioners in STEM.

Sounds like herpes to me

multiple sclerosis

do a brain biopsy to confirm, no anesthesia or it will mess with the result

also try not mugging anyone on your way there

lupus

This man is suffering from ARDS, he needs to be mechanically ventilated and put on a high PEEP with low volumes, passive hypercapnia with inverse I:E ratio can be implemented if vitals aren't within acceptable levels

I'm betting on Chronic Kidney Disease -- which explains the stone (sort of), fatigue, loss of appetite, and elevated ALP. Do some blood-work and look at creatinine serum levels.

How long before Doctors are replaced by technicians and AI + medical and biological databases?

longer than pretty much any other field

you do realize that this tech is already assisting doctors, right?

You're talking about yourself, aren't you, OP?

You have a kidney stone and Adderall induced irritability. Can fatigue be established beyond your feelings of inadequacy to your peers?

The raised Alkaline phosphatase is also Adderall-induced, due to it's increased stress on the liver.

ehealthme.com/ds/adderall/blood alkaline phosphatase increased/

Lower your dose or switch meds.

isolated elevations of alk phos can be a sign of pagets disease of the bone :o

ur toast OP

lol no brainlet
30 years tops

First post in this thread with a decent opinion, listen to this user OP (and stop being a faggot)

What do you think M in STEM stands for if not for medicine?

maths

Nigga u cereal?

Any stone finding needs to be investigated. Go do ultrasound

Actually it's going to be faster than anything.
Diagnostic algorithms can be implemented even without AI

Is biomed worth doing for undergrad in order to enter med school?
My concern is that if I'm not eligible for med school for what ever reason, I may not be able to find employment with the degree.

Hyperparathyroidism is a mark for liver failure.

Literally a sticky.

It's never the thyroid

Parathyroid tumour with secondaries to bones of spine.

Are you a student?

>Kidney stones
What type of stone? Is it the first one or has it happened before? What is his serum calcium and uric acid? What is his urine calcium, oxolate, citrate, and uric acid level?

>He is tired.
There are so many reasons this could be. At least give some preliminary blood tests to rule out common shit like anemia or diabetes.

Also.
>He had a few X-rays without thyroid protection.
Doesn't realistically affect a patient.

Just study something that you can make all A's in that you enjoy and focus all of your effort toward getting into medical school.

Engineering isn't necessarily a good choice if you're serious about medical school, because it may tank your gpa, will take up way more time than any other major that you could otherwise be using to study for the MCAT and doing extracurriculars, and you have to learn a lot of useless boring bullshit.

Would admission officers take into account the difficulty of an engineering degree?
I'd much prefer someone who i knew was capable of getting an engineering degree to look after my health than someone who spent a few hundred hours going over finance lectures and theory.

Hardly, and that's a mistake that a lot of premed students make. While they might to a small extent, admissions committees care more about raising the average matriculant gpa so that their school looks more impressive on paper, than they do about actually getting the best candidates. That's bureaucracy for you.

Take advantage of this and game the system by studying something "easy" to you. A political science major with a 3.9 looks a lot better to adcoms than an engineering major with a 3.5.

Personally, I decided to study physics because I still wanted to challenge myself in undergrad and thought the problem solving aspect would help prepare me for the MCAT/med school. Working out well so far.

Holy shit, really?
>Strange sensation when active
>Moody
>Low energy
Its MS

Please tell me that it gets better next year
Oh God, I miss Math

Math
Where are MedFags supposed to go then? We follow the scientific method to reach a conclusive diagnosis and take into account every variable you know to give the patient the best treatment.

Except that when we fuck up someone dies, we get sued or both every single time

It doesn't get better until you're actually seeing patients.

No "scientific method" is used to get a diagnosis, there is no hypothesis or trial and error involved. It is more about gaining information through history, physical findings, and different lab and imaging tests and using that information to reach a diagnosis that reflects the most closely on a patients current status, and then selecting a treatment that is the most likely to result in a better quality of life for the patient. There is more to it, of course, but there is a reasons people call medicine "an art" as the details in medical practice can be very different between physicians. Unlike math or engineering, the human body is a much less predictable system and this can lead to unsuccessful diagnosis or treatment based entirely on statistical chance and not from any fault of the physician.