>tfw the clathrate gun has been fired this year
>it wasn't a meme
>it wasn't a jewish conspiracy
>it was fucking real and now we're going to pay

It's been nice knowing you, Veeky Forums ;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/
youtube.com/watch?v=DRD3tRdQwoQ
theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/13/trump-looking-at-quickest-way-to-quit-paris-climate-agreement-says-report
chasingice.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

well thats fucken disturbing

someone tell me its a hoax plz

Well, fucked up as it is, at least sea ice melting doesn't raise sea levels. How's the land ice doing?

Also, link to the paper please.

Genuine question: How come we don't see the same pattern in the antarctic?

nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/

B L U E
O C E A N
E V E N T
2 0 1 7

what's a blue ocean event?

youtube.com/watch?v=DRD3tRdQwoQ

So a state of no arctic sea ice. Thanks.

Well at least Trump arrived just in time to take the blame. Though knowing that retard he's probably going to bury his head in the sand in the same way he deals with all his other problems.

well shit

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/13/trump-looking-at-quickest-way-to-quit-paris-climate-agreement-says-report

that agreement is too little too late, might as well put the petal to the medal on greenhouse gas

>might as well put the petal to the medal
Are you a fucking mongoloid?

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Did you call me.
WE

Here's a house fire for you to die in.

WUZ KHANS AND HORSES?

being a continent is different than being a sea

Obviously. But what exactly is it that makes Antarctica more stable? Land masses are more prone to temperature swings, for one. It seems so counter intuitive to me that the arctic ice is melting more rapidly than the antarctic. I want to understand why this is happening.

>Land masses are more prone to temperature swings, for one.
Water is more conductive to heat transfer than land is. So changes in sea temperature are going to melt ice in the sea more quickly.

Maybe because the vast majority of production and emissions occur on the northern hemisphere and trade winds provide a soft barrier to greenhouse gas diffusion? I'm just guessing, though, and didn't bother checking temperature distributions of northern vs southern hemispheres.

>How's the land ice doing?
Worse than you may imagine...
chasingice.com/

>counter intuitive to me
...in any contest of intuition versus fact,
fact always wins. Adapt your intuition
accordingly.

But think of how much worse it would have been if Hillary's email, would have been president.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. But isn't it atmospheric temperatures that are driving swings in oceanic temperatures in the first place? One would expect oceanic temperature swings to lag behind atmospheric temperatures.

I did some digging, and turns out there are perpetual winds that circle Antarctica. Those winds shield the ice from temperature rises somewhat compared to the northern hemisphere.

See above. Your guess was somewhat close. It's not that there's less warming on the southern hemisphere due to less emissions there, but due to the fact that the ice is shielded from warming somewhat.

The facts are the facts, that goes without saying. Adapting one's intuition is a difficult thing to do though, but one can try to prevent intuition from driving final judgement.

>I did some digging, and turns out there are perpetual winds that circle Antarctica.
So is that due to there being a land mass there? What's the physics behind this.

What caused it "to go off" as opposed to the last 5-10 years?

probably reached some tipping point where it just flipped or so.

It's because below the tips of South America and Australia is an uninterrupted band of ocean all the way around the world, which doesn't exist in the Northern Hemisphere. There are no landmasses to disrupt the flow of wind until you reach Antarctica itself.

Can't see anything spectacular, not even the long since promised ice-free Northern Passages.

Our president says this is a hoax.

sad

Your president is a hoax.

>It's insignificant if it's in a tiny image and we ignore the scale
ayy

Is it possible to measure the methane directly?

Why wouldn't it be?

Geography probably. Antarctica is somewhat protected by the currents of the Southern Ocean that encircles it. Also (and I have to admit I haven't read your source yet) it may be that the Antarctic ice is simply spreading out rather than building up or growing thicker, but I'm not certain on that and would appreciate any sources anons could provide.

Regardless, iirc the rate of ice sheet growth we see in the Antarctic is only a fraction of the rate of ice loss we see in the rest of the worlds glaciers, Arctic, Greenland, etc. so it's not negating the average global loss.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a climate scientist but I do like to try and follow the issue.

I would have expected that this information would be the primary source for validation and not sea ice thickness.

>validation
Validation of what? The fact that sea ice is melting?

Not my president

That's why you have to go back.

kill yourselves

Not my president

>Your president is a hoax.
This is actually a true statement. He's a genuwine con man. Hard to believe half the country is this gullible.

>Oh no! We're all doomed! There's nothing anyone can do now!

>Well, we'd better cut those emissions EXTRA hard now! No amount of economic damage is too much for what we've just claimed has become an empty gesture.

You guys really should have coordinated better on that propaganda script.

It is a hoax you grant money whore.

Fuck off back to

Trump will order the conversion of methane clathrate into gaseous CO2 via industrial-scale incendiary bombing.

You are welcome.

I'll believe it when I see a methane concentration spike

You're going to look very silly in the coming months.

Validation of the fact that clathrate gun is happening

But is it? This is a measurement of global sea ice (however you manage that), not of atmospheric methane.

The first point in there is a change of the constitution. Good luck guys, you've just elected a dictator.

>tfw too smart to respond to your post.

But you decided to respond anyway.

whoa (WHOA) no one has ever written a new amendment before!

Yeah no shit, that's my point

You realize that the constitution has been amended numerous times in the past, and that passing a constitutional amendment is very difficult since it requires a large majority of congress to vote in its favor... right?

He's only promising to propose an amendment. It would take bipartisan support to pass it. And it benefits the Democrats more than the Republicans in Congress.

It doesn't really benefit anyone in congress since it imposes term limits on them. So I don't see it passing anyways, because why would senators want to impose term limits on themselves and limit all that lobbyist money earning potential?

looks like some measuring equipment broke, or potentially a pretty strange anomaly year.

40 years is pretty insignificant though, might not even be that big of an anomaly(if equipment etc is working as it should)

>It doesn't really benefit anyone in congress since it imposes term limits on them.
Republicans have over half the seats, and incumbents have an advantage in elections.

By conventional political reasoning, congressional term limits hurt the reds and help the blues. On the other hand, with the democratic party disintegrating, they might help the GOP reach a supermajority able to amend the constitution unopposed.

>why would senators want to impose term limits on themselves and limit all that lobbyist money earning potential?
Signalling to your electorate that you're more interested in your personal benefit than their interests is a dangerous thing.

The people strongly favor term limits.

>sea ice area
nobody cares, it's a useless metric

show me a sea ice volume metric instead

The y-axis is skewed but yeah, there goes a couple trillion in sea walls for port cities