Secret to cooking perfect french fries?

When I make french fries, they always come our mushy. I mean, a minuter after I take them out of oil, they become soggy.

How do you cook some perfectly crispy (and not burnt!) french fries. Veeky Forums???

I guess you're supposed to fry them twice or something

the trick is definitely frying them twice.
I do the first run at ~300 6-7 minutes
let them cool
fry again at 375 2-4 minutes

Chill your chopped potatoes in cold water, dry them. Then double fry.

Very interesting, thanks for replying! Never heard of this method.

I use russett potatoes (that's what I've been told is the best potato for fries). What oil is the best? Does it even matter with "double frying" method?

And how long should I wait before frying them for the 2nd time? 10-20 min or more?

*Freedom Fries
fixed for you op

you gotta fry em at least, like, 5 times

>never heard
It's called a blanch fry. Dried freshly cut potatoes down for 4.5 minutes. Then when ready to cook, drop for another 5 to 6 minutes.

Season and serve; adjust times depending on the size of the cut potato.

Tallow or beef fat is the best, otherwise lard, duck fat, schmaltz, peanut, are all fine

what about coconut oil?

Dunk in acidulated water, dry, freeze. Then fry once at about 320F for four minutes, then fry a second time at about 370F for another three minutes.

If you overcrowd the pan or fryer it won't work terribly well.

you can use it, but its generally not used because it imparts that coconut flavor to the food. Unless you are into that

dont let them get water

its not that hard just stop being retarded thinking that youre going to get crispy fries out of an oven lol

>oven
he said oil you retard,

First of all, thisSecondly, you can get crispy fries with an oven easily, I do it all the time. It's not the same type of crispiness, but it's not impossible.

Semi-related question, how do you even deep fry something without wasting a gallon of oil each time, and how do you check the temperature of the oil?

>Semi-related question, how do you even deep fry something without wasting a gallon of oil each time, and how do you check the temperature of the oil?
Oil is a consumable. You will always lose it since it sticks to the outside of the food. And you don't really waste that much.

you can use a food thermometer the first time you fry something and then just remember the number setting for your range.

>you can use it, but its generally not used because it imparts that coconut flavor to the food. Unless you are into that
Oil that I use doesn't have any coconut flavor. I think only some have that strong flavor and I think that's on purpose. I think they add it after the oil has been extracted. Coconut oil doesn't generally have any flavor at all.

>takes a shit ton of grease
>constantly get burns on hands
>leaves a huge as fuck mess
fuck those things and fuck french fries

It's called thermometer, try it

>constantly get burns on hands
>leaves a huge as fuck mess

just put a lid on the pot, how are you fucking this up?

are you reaching in to grab them with your bare hands?

you dont just throw the oil away after one use.
you can let it cool and put in back in a bottle
I have a deep fryer with a lid and i just leave it in there

Those are chips you fucking retard.

i filter mine after each use and store it in a gallon bottle in the fridge. I use coconut oil. Or olive oil

>chips

olive oil?

are you full retard?

no. It works well.

And the secret to cooking crispy fries is soaking them in cold water and vinegar. Cook them multple times if the oil quantity is not large enough. I take them out when the the temp is 300f

these """fries""" look steam cooked. disgusting shit.

Ever tried frying them then baking them?

some people dont like them burned

"The Joy of Cooking" never fail french fries recipe is accurate. I use it all the time and it works. It's double fry.

olive oil is terrible for anything involving high temperatures, it gets a rancid taste very quickly

unless you're using something that isn't actually olive oil but is similar i guess

i only heat it to 330f
i got a good deal on it so i have to use it

it's a waste of oil regardless of the deal you got, olive oil isn't meant for cooking, even the cheapest stuff is a lot more expensive than a basic vegetable oil

I've been making fries with olive oil for 5+ years. it never went rancid. I also never turn the heat to be too high (I don't know about the temp but it was always in the middle of the range heat setting).

Here's my secrets.

>Good potatoes
>Oil on "medium low" temp to start(i use peanut oil)
>cut fries uniform sizes (peeled or not is your call, but i find peeled more crispy)
>Rinse well in cold water once then drain
>pour boiling water from kettle in bowl of fries then wait a couple minutes
> rinse again with cold and then fill with cold water adding a table spoon of dark corn syrup and a tiny bit of vinegar
>refrigerate (up to several hours is fine, but 20 min or so is all it takes)
>drain and dry fries
>fry on that "low medium" temp for a couple minutes
>remove from grease
>turn up to high heat
>fry again until you get that gold color

>schlieffen plan them into the deep fryer

that's a pretty elaborate recipe. where's that from?

but ideal frying temperature is 350. enjoy your greasy bitter fries

Soak in water at least overnight
Drain off water
Blanch at 300° for 5 minutes
Drain and cool
Fry cooled fries again at 350° for 2-2.5 minutes
Enjoy perfectly delicious fries

His ass

i paid $1 for a quart bottle. It was a special deal

what magical fryer do you have that doesnt drop in temp when you drop the fries in?

Store them in water for like 24 hours before cooking. It bleeds out the starch.

Just sort of developed it over the years, and also knew a few people who worked in the industry somewhere that dealt with McD's fries (i've heard people claim they're really good, i've never enjoyed them compared to homemade though).
For a few years I thought about opening my own fry truck (chip wagon for the older people or brits here) Had lots of money saved and a good business model, but things went sideways for me.

Thought I'd share that! Here on my personal blog.

Thanks user! Do you have any other quick recipes to share?

nice b8
mcdonalds fries are shit tier

Sure, but its 4 am here, so maybe another time haha.

I agree with you? They do double fry them and soak them in corn syrup (among other things) though, that's why i mentioned it.

Before you fry get flower and beer and make like a mud then drizzle them lightly then cook em; take em off until frier heats; youll notice a decreased amount of bubbles. Then do it again and wait until you feel is right,

>Sure, but its 4 am here, so maybe another time haha.
I think this thread will be up tomorrow as well. please share some good stuff when you can.

they are not double fried. They are not even real fries

They're parboiled, parfried, then frozen, shipped, the fried at the store.

exactly. They are not double fried

Why the fuck do you dumb yanks call chips fries? It makes zero sense to call something by how you cook it.

You don't call steak grills or pasta boils, why call chips fries??

it's short for french fries, you inbred wanker.

>bobbing for french fries

>It makes zero sense to call something by how you cook it.
I hope you're not from the UK because if you are, you're going to have to explain fryups.

Get a bowl of cold water. Mix salt into it. Cut potatoes up and place in saltwater for 10 minutes. Drain water and dry potatoes. Placr potatoes into a plastic bag. Pour a bit of flour onto the potatoes and shake them together in the bag. Mix up salt and pepper in a small bowl. Deep fry or double fry, and then place fries into dry bowl when done. Then put salt - pepper mixture in bowl and cover the bowl with either plastic wrap or tin foil. Shake bowl around to evenly coat fries with salt and pepper.

I do this all the time with fries and wedges. They come out great.

i prepare a large batch, boil them in water/vinegar/salt til edible, do a quick fry, cool them afterwards and freeze.
fries are best when cooked from frozen, from then on you can just take some and fry til done

>parfried, then frozen, shipped, the fried
>exactly. They are not double fried

You just agreed they were fried twice, then said they werent?

Great! Any idea what flour does to fries?

>fries are best when cooked from frozen, from then on you can just take some and fry til done
I;m always afraid of putting ice-cold fries into boiling oil. do you put them in warm oil by any chance?

>boiling oil
you can't mean literally boiling oil, do you?

no i put them in at high temp, what scares you about it? they dont behave much different from fresh ingredients, no splashing/sputtering

No they're crisps

It simply adds a thin batter-like coating to the outside.

>They will never enjoy a bag of chips from the chipper

We just have to enjoy them in their stead

fried twice means not frozen and shipped. It means cut then fried twice.

I like the coconut flavor with sweet potato fries, its a nice complement

Ask McDonalds

Chips are thick, fries are thin.
Those are thin therefore they are fries. QED

>
>Chips are thick, fries are thin.
>Those are thin therefore they are fries. QED

fries are any size. Only uk faggots call them chips

is this user back? I'd like to hear more recipes from his fry truck...

A 55lb fryer that drops temp like every other fryer? Not sure what you're talking about bub

>Live in country Australian town, have several great fish and chip shops
>$3.50 and you get enough delicious chips to put you in a carb coma
>Move to capital city
>Chips start at $6 for a handful of average chips

Makes me fucking sick

then stfu. Its the exit temp that matters. Not the drop temp

The temperature won't drop if you pre-heat your fries.

If they're soggy you're adding too much to too little oil that's probably not hot enough. Cook them in small batches.

Anyone know the perfect seasoning for fries?

the temp always drops. Unless the fries are the same temp as the oil.
And that would be precooking. Not preheating.

What is the best potatoes for frying?

small batches. Or fry multiple times.
Easy to monitor oil temp with an infrared thermometer

ILS SONT NOMMES DES FRITES VOUS PUTAINS

>chips
wtf? you guys don't have lays or some other potato chip manufacturer? you have to go to a chip shop to buy them instead of buying them in a supermarket?

that's fucked up.

and some like their fries... fried, not water boiled. faggot.

nobody likes their fries boiled. Go back to /b

U r'e a retard

Double or even triple fry them. And always in
>beef drippings
or
>lard
or
>peanut oil
No exceptions. Also, get a crinkle cutter. Straight fries are for bitches.

love me some french fry potatoes

Better for making kettle corn.

Mmmmm hhhhuuuuuuuuum I reckon.

CTRL F: Blanch

At least two guys in this thread arn't retards.

I've seen a guy stabbing the fries and putting them in the freezer before frying them. Those were some crispy fries goddamn.

>kettle corn
oh boy... love kettle corn. it's so damn hard to find tho... you have to go to festivals, fairs and shit like that.

What kind of vinegar? I know I'm incredibly late to this party but if anyone has an answer i would be grateful.

I'm guessing plain old white vinegar to help "clean up" starch.