Sick of Veeky Forums

What are some good alternatives to Veeky Forums where actual discussion takes place instead of shitposting, memeflinging?

Is there a place for semi-casual science discussion without /pol/ and high-schoolers shitting up the place? Or does the lack of rigour in such a place inevitably attract those types?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ladyattis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You could start by not posting pepe the fucking frog. If you don't have the ability to start a thread with a math/science related topic yourself you have no right to complain. I'm sick of sci too but at least I keep it to myself.

twitter.com/ladyattis

My twitter page.

/r/askscience is high quality if you can tolerate the redditors (less obnoxious than poltards imo)

physicsforums, stackexchange, quora

stackexchange is a good place and it has some incredibly bright users on it but I'd hardly call it semi-casual

As a rough analogy Veeky Forums is more like a bar frequented by STEM undergrads. Stackexchange is like the graduate lounge in whatever department you're in.

This.

Just join a science forum

>I'd hardly call it semi-casual
Chat is pretty casual.

/diy/ is ok

There are none.

And even the ones that are less casual (like Stackexchange and Quora) mostly don't go beyond undergrads writting down stuff.

>Stackexchange
>undergrads
Then go for Math Overflow.

That's the other extreme, hardly any question is comprehensible unless you're already finishing your Masters in mathematics.

Things like stochastic processes and Banach spaces are second year undergrad and easily discussed on math overflow if you really really want discussion.

There is no alternative for Veeky Forums because Veeky Forums has no purpose.

Sure, once every week or so you might actually learn a new thing by accident, but why are you really here?
Certainly not for the quality of content.

This is a science-themed chatroom for lonely people and meme-spewing teenagers and children.

What you really want is to socialize with collegues and other people, not a Veeky Forums substitute.

Stackexchange

>quora

>"why is elon musk so smart"

it's an advertising and shill version of yahoo answers for pseudointellectuals

Physicsforums is full of failures. Basically Veeky Forums.

Highest level of discussion with credible mathematicians would be overflow, stackexchange, and /r/maths.

I'm pretty fond of HN but I can see why people here would be anti.

stackexchange

>it's an advertising and shill version of yahoo answers for pseudointellectuals
>implying Veeky Forums isn't full of shit

I too have been looking for such a place.

Typically I just read the highest upvoted posts on stack exchange and nature physics features.

I have not found a real "discusison" among graduate-level people.

That's because stackexchange as a site is question and answer only. Comments are not for chatting or extended discussion.
If you want that sort of thing, head into the chatrooms of stackexchange.

Since everyone is shitting on stackexchange ITT.

arxiv, pubmed, the library, comiccon, ivy league school