I'm making swedish meatballs but I forgot I don't have any flour to thicken the gravy...

I'm making swedish meatballs but I forgot I don't have any flour to thicken the gravy. is there anything else I can use or should I just try to reduce it a lot? I don't have any other starch aside from white rice.

Add a little rice to the gravy while you cook it and then hit it with an immersion blender.

got some xanthan gum handy?

Cream of Tartar

I like to temper an egg yolk or two to thicken sauces and gravies

Baking soda will do the trick ;)

I don't have a blender. can I just throw some rice in and then strain it out and smash it with a mortar and pestle?

No. You're not going to get enough starch/thickener that way to make anything resembling a smooth gravy like in the OP pic (which looks like it was thickened with a quick slurry rather than a roux, which you can tell by the shininess).

I'd say just deglaze the pan and reduce, and say fuck it. It will be more like au jus rather than a proper gravy, but if you season it properly, throw in some aromatics, and serve it over a starch it should be fine.

you have any cream OP?

Make a white gravy or auju

White gravy is still a gravy, and still needs something to emulsify the fat with the water - i.e. thicken it.

Au jus over mashed taters or whatever is probably the best answer.

the sauce is usually cream and beef broth with worcestershire sauce and thickened with flour. I'm just missing the flour so it's runny.

cream doesn't thicken it enough for you? what sort of cream are you using?

heavy whipping cream, but it's mixed 1:1 wih broth

To get the true Swedish experience you have to collect the semen from the black bull that fucks your family.

Not OP.

Cream itself isn't enough to thicken; you need a proper emulsifier/liason to create a proper sauce.

whisk egg yolks with heavy cream and throw that into a saute pan on top of whatever you want to make a sauce out of (add cheese as desired) and the lecithin in the egg will create a sauce that will put any boxed mac and cheese to shame... You don't need to add extra cheese; it's just an extra form of fat to bring the emulsion together.

>don't need to add extra cheese

The point being: you only need to add a little dab of egg yolk, or even mustard, to turn butter and stock into a sauce that isn't going to break and make your lady friend walk out the door.

It's cooking 101, but it's quick and it's proven.

This op. One of the keys to home cooking is to roll with the punches. Change the meal around. Make shit on a shingle.

Unnecessary but still made me laugh.

I cooked some egg noodles and dumped them into a bowl with my meatballs and the starch thickened it a little. I think when I reheat the leftovers I might try cooking some of the noodles in the sauce.

>one of the keys to home cooking is to roll with the punches

user you replied to here (real drunk, real cook).

I just wanted to say: there are so many people these days - and in days past - asking stupidly dumb, vague questions, and getting stupidly dumb, vague (honestly joke) replies, and then getting mad that Veeky Forums is some kind of elitist board.

If you say what you're doing, ask honest questions about what you did, and (potentially) did wrong, and maybe just have a sense of humor about it without being a dick and avoiding dumb memes, there are plenty of people here willing to give real advice (you'll still get some lip, 'cause that's where you are).

Literally here all night, waiting for an interesting thread to reply to.

Cooking is really fun, but it takes practice, and getting a little tip here and there can make a world of difference, because the essence of cooking is technique, not "following recipes". When you make an improvement and realize, "wholly shit! it was really that easy!", do it again and post results. That's what Veeky Forums was and is really about. And yeah, the funnest thing about cooking is rolling with the punches and making things work; it's literally how people have survived for thousands and thousands of years, and how some of the best cuisines came into being.

It's all about learning through experience, and sharing that experience with others. It's a craft, not a science.

>end rant

Crush some dried noodles with a spoon and sprinkle in.