>I enjoy the bitter hoppiness of an IPA

Other urls found in this thread:

beeradvocate.com/beer/style/
beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13136/63023/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's ipa?

saged for shitty thread

>flips fedora

Why is it so hard to find a malty beer with complex flavors?

"Wheatbeer" is always blandly sweet and "Belgian" means they went insane with the yeast

>hahahahaha
>there are anons on the food and cooking board who actually like beer
>better shit post about it!

>he is too childish to enjoy the bitterness of IPA

but i do actually tho...

beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

>bitter is a bad flavor

> i can enjoy only sweet foods.

shit genetics my family.

>if you don't like the taste of shampoo you're a baby who can't handle bitter foods.

there is no reason to drink ipa's other than to be a fedora.

Ipa's were bread out of desperation for long winded trade routes to the East Indies.

not for pleasure
not for superior taste

for she reason of it being able to keep a ship crew drunk enough to do their job on a 12 month trip

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!!!1!!!1111!!
It's okay, they won't halt Mountain Dew production just because people drink IPAs.

Except you're literally saying you can't handle it you mong

>Ipa's were bread out of desperation for long winded trade routes to the East Indies.
Look that shit up, it's totally not true.

PROTIP: If you ever find yourself thinking "ew, why do they eat/drink that?" the answer is almost always "because it tastes good to them." Get over yourself

IPAs to me taste piney and citrusy more so than bitter

>Don't like something that tastes bad.
>hurr you can't handle it you're not a big tough connoisseur like me *tips fedora*

There's a difference between not liking something and not being able to "handle it", but I'm sure you're the kind of guy who orders his food obnoxiously spicy or sour not because you enjoy it, but because it shows everyone how "tough" you are.

As a side note while there are a few IPAs that are alright, the majority are shit. IPAs were never intended to be a great drink. Beer was part of the rations for soldiers of the British Empire and in order to prevent it from going bad during the long shipment to soldiers stationed all over the world they overloaded it with hops as a preservative agent.

t. Bartender who has had to try more IPAs than he would ever want.

The best IPAs are the ones that are balanced rather than retardedly bitter.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is delicious

>complaining about bitterness and saying it tastes like shampoo
>no it's not that I can't handle bitterness guys I wasn't just complaining about it hahaha
Also, the original intent doesn't mean shit. The majority food or drink items made over millenia not specifically tailored to the tastes of the elite and rich are going to be geared toward utility and efficiency one way or another out of necessity. You just made yourself sound retarded after trying to flex a few sentences you paraphrased from the same wikipedia article I read about IPAs a few weeks ago.

And modern IPAs aren't the same as ones from 1850 anyway

>in order to prevent it from going bad during the long shipment to soldiers stationed all over the world they overloaded it with hops as a preservative agent.
Not true. There are records of other types of beer arriving in India in great condition, so it wasn't a problem of preservation.

We don't know exactly why the IPA was invented or why it swelled in popularity. More than likely a shallow marketing ploy, and to get rid of excess hops.

I think its popularity in the craft world is from being so drastically different from BMC stuff.

Depends on the hops.
>OP has only shown himself to be illiterate in hops but a master in faggotry.

>genetics

That's more a sign of immaturity.

Liking IPA because it's the "patrician" thing to do makes you a high-intensity fedora tipper.

Liking IPA because you like IPA has nothing wrong with it, and nobody is going to give a shit.

Being a guy who genuinely enjoys really bitter, strong dark beers I always get a kick out of "that guy" who's still a novice and picks the blackest, strongest thing on tap to prove himself to God knows who. The smile that is clearly trying to hide a face of disgust. It's cute, and they're usually not so autistic that they keep drinking things they don't like for the sake of imagined social status. Or they actually acquire a taste for the stuff and you notice that the smiles aren't forced anymore at the pub, and it doesn't take him 2 hours to drink 1 pint.

>ipa
>dark, blackest

>pub, pint

Oh, he's just a dumb bong shitposter who has no idea what he's talking about...

When I'm talking about "bitter, strong dark beers", of course I'm referring to stouts and porters. I'm giving an example of similar behavior to what OP is describing; there's people who drink IPA just to seem like in-the-know fedora tippers because it's what first pops to mind when someone thinks of fancy (for lack of a better word, of course IPA isn't actually fucking fancy) beer. I've know plenty of people who still haven't really drunk anything other than generic supermarket stuff and at the pub they'll drink a strong Imperial Stout and fucking hate it but finish it nonetheless because they think it's manly or some shit. You can tell they want to fucking throw it away but pride won't let them and they pretend to like it.

Perhaps my wording was a bit off and it may not have been all that clear that I was talking about something different, but nonetheless I feel slightly hurt that you'd think I'm such a clueless jackass that I'd go spouting around that IPA is a black beer.

Also, I'm a dirty argie raised in burgerland, not a bongoloid.

I enjoy the nice rice flavoring of Budweiser

>Beer was part of the rations for soldiers of the British Empire
Porter mostly, IPA was for the officer class.

>Not true.
"if the beer is to be sent into a warmer climate in the cask one third more hopping is absolutely necessary"
Every Man His Own Brewer, Samuel Child, 1768
>We don't know exactly why the IPA was invented or why it swelled in popularity. More than likely a shallow marketing ploy, and to get rid of excess hops.
Seems like an absurd bullshit justification to try and tie your personal taste to some sort of objective truth.

Whatever.

But for future reference, when anons in beer threads cry about IPAs - and aren't just memeing - they usually go on about how great English ales or malt heavy stouts are, so it was a little silly of you to conflate the two, as the main complaint against IPAs is the hops, whereas "dark" beers are typically as far as you can get on the opposite side of the spectrum (though I still see your point as them being assertive on the malt/adjunct side).

imo sours are much more the fedora beer over ipas

The blackest stuff usually tastes like coffee.

you're dumb if you let people making fun of you influence you decisions. Nice dubs, you dummy.

Bitterness is an important flavor and part of every good beer. The IPA also has unique flavors that make them worth drinking. I like to drink them with savory foods that are sweet and spicy: hot wings, barbecue, thai curry, etc. The bitterness cleanses the palette creates a reference point for flavor that makes the food pop with each bite.

The bitterness is strong, but still a culinary flavor that can be enjoyed. Plenty of other food and drink has bitterness: coffee, chocolate, orange peel zest, etc. Compared to the bitterness of licking lacquered wood or a dandelion stem, it's a good kind of bitter.

>you're dumb if you let people making fun of you influence you decisions

mostly just sour grape type bitter cause theyre always dumb expensive

plus more than ~8oz gives me heartburn

but please have you ever been around nerds telling you that theyre getting hard notes of lactic acid or that they enjoy yeasty funk? shit wears on you real fast when youre just trying to get drunk

If you don't drink this shit, you need to kill yourself ASAP.

I haven't found a IPA I like. The ones I did try have put me off trying more as it seems a waste of money.

Also IPA hipster fags are annoying as fuck

IPA's taste great to me. More complex than a lager, strong, but still palatable, and importantly, god in hot weather. It's hot here.

Complex flavor? You might as well just eat hops raw.

I used to shoplift all my alcohol and quickly learnt that just because a bottle of beer costs $30 doesn't mean it tastes good. In fact it probably tastes fucking awful to anyone who doesn't dine from an 18th century menu

>more complex than a lager

I'm not saying they're complex but they're a lot more complex than one hop lagers.

For reference, here's one I've been drinking occasionally. Tasty. Not overly strong.

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13136/63023/
forgot link hurr

America is the only country that went from barbarism to faggotry without ever having real beer.

I am curious as to why Americans love IPA so much? I don't think I have heard an American ever talk about any other beer except the generic ones.

>posting babbies first imperial stout.

>I'm sure you're the kind of guy who orders his food obnoxiously spicy or sour not because you enjoy it, but because it shows everyone how "tough" you are.
Side note, but goddamn do I hate these fucks. I actually like my food obnoxiously spicy, but because of those chucklefucks everything I order gets seasoned to "yeah right, white boy" levels of mild.

Actually having real beer turns you into faggots. Just like France having real wine made them faggots about wine.

I like witbier more than IPAs. Porters and Stouts as well.

Never tasted a bitter IPA, all of them are extremely sweet. Most people have no idea what bitter is.

>take girl on a date
>order IPA
>all the women turn their heads towards me
>she's breathing heavily, pupils dilated, heart racing
>"b-but user, IPA is so bitter, are you sure you can handle it?"
>fix my fedora, look her straight in the eyes
>"Y-y-yeah."
>she passes out
>every woman in the room orgasms because I'm a MANLY MACHO MAN

>I'm a pretentious fuck who feels superior to others because of the beverage I consume
Maximum overtip achieved.

Actually OP feels superior to others because of a beverage he DOESN'T consume. It's even worse.

IPA just don't taste that bitter to me, I don't know what people are on about. Certainly more bite than other kinds of beer, but also more crisp, less heavy and creamy. I love my Stouts, but a good IPA is something I day drink. They're honestly refreshing to me. Citrus, pine, etc. In my hot state of Texas, that's really nice. We didn't even get a fucking winter, I'm in no mood for a barley wine or something.

My favorite beer is still Southern Star Buried Hatchet stout, but lay IPA on me any time, I don't see the controversy.

People drink pleb tier beers like samuel adams IPA and think IPAs are just bitter trash. The hipsters that "love IPAs" drink the same garbage and think theyre edgy for liking it.
People who talk shit about IPAs are the same faggots who "love stouts, like Guinness. Or a quality boston lager"

>mfw no one on this board has had their tits blown off by the intense citrus flavors of a week old NE style IPA
>mfw no one on this board has gotten buzzed on 4 year old stout aged in barrels and flavored with cacao nibs
>mfw no one on this board drinks vintage lambics brewed in Belgium by hundred year old breweries

Your and ibiot.