Which one is better?

which one is better?

It's a matter of personal preference.

World nomenclature is superior to the US nomenclature. As usual.

Use the one most relevant

well all the relevant countries in the world use the dot so I guess you should use that

I think they use , in Switzerland, France, Belgium and Italy.

>anywhere outside of the usa
>relevant

Well Switzerland has ETH, France has ENS, Italy has Polytecnico di Milano so they are relevant..

I read the book Linear and Non Linear Functional Analysis with Applications fo Philippe Ciarlet, he is from France, and the exercice are pretty hard. I wonder if they are average for students in France.

>reasonable answers

am i really on Veeky Forums?

France and USA are the most titled countries in mathematics with respectively 13 and 14 Field medals.

The third is Russia with 9 medals.

France is a land of mathematics, my favorite is Alain Connes (Von Neumann algebra and Noncommutative geometry).

3'14 + 1'23

In Finland the comma is the official decimal mark. I use the comma for school work or otherwise "official" stuff. Everywhere else I use the dot, since it makes more practical sense (programs and calculators use the dot more, it's faster to write on the paper).

Add Spain in there.

The dot is more aesthetic.

or

or

1E6

point.

what if you guys want to do lists of number wtf

comma makes no sense then

The decimal point?

you use semicolons
dot is for products
you multiply reals more often than you make arbitrary lists of reals, dontcha?

Dot is superior for showing decimal because a comma implies conjunction while dot implies a full stop

Ex)

(3, 2, 5) = Three and two and five

3.25 = Three STOP one quarter
You go from whole numbers to decimals

Also saying three point twenty-five just rolls off the tongue better than three comma twenty-five.

>tfw Excel uses comma but MATLAB uses dot.

only *nglo countries use a dot

why dot more dot

1-dot more important than comma
2-you would rather fall into a dot than into comma
3-comma is bleeding ink, dot knows first aid
4-black hole is a dot
5-if you throw the comma on wall, wall will be dirty
6-several species of animal have dot
7-dot is the name of printer, comma means it's sick
8-dot is defined by point in spacetime. Comma is just german fashion store.
9-al dot is hermaphrodite. comma sounds female therefore wage gap
10-dot need an upgrade, dot is perfect

He says as he posts a pic using the US nomenclature

1 000 000

>tfw numpad dot is mapped to comma
>tfw you can't remap it in regional settings, even though you should be to
for the love fuck

>Dot is superior for showing decimal because a comma implies conjunction while dot implies a full stop

Comma is superior for showing decimal because a comma implies conjunction while dot implies a full stop

Why would you make a full stop if your number doesn't end yet.

>tfw the place you study at is taken as an example to show your country is relevant in scientific field.
>tfw when none of you will ever understand how much crazy and fucked up we are here (ENS Lyon, France)

You're making a full stop of whole numbers and transitioning to less than whole.

Well in English we say "Three point one four." I've met Exotics who refer to this character, . as a ''full stop'' which is 100% retarded. Are you retarded?

>cast diagrams

Very good reasoning.

3·14 + 1·23

> = 4,25 - Coordinates in most science/mathemtaics.
or
> = 4.25 - A Scalar value.

3|14

actually, it's better written round(pi,2)

>>tfw when none of you will ever understand how much crazy and fucked up we are here (ENS Lyon, France)

Please, explain. This really interests me.

this is a long story.
ENS are a bit special. These are four special french "schools" designed specially to teach future teacher and researchers, while also hosting research labs.

The admission is very selective, with small classes, around 400 students each year for each school, counting all disciplines, hard sciences, social sciences and litterature together.
We are in direct contact with research, with research labs in the same buildings we study in, and researchers as teachers (and amongst them quite a chunk of nobel prizes)
The very weird thing is we are payed to study (no study fees, 1300€/month salary) but then have to work at least 10 years for the french state.

The admission is made through a competitive examination with an oral examination weighting a lot. And as the oral examinators often are teachers/researcher at the ENS they have a tendency to prefer out-of-the-box and free thinkers over more scolar and classic people.

So here's the thing you take a small bunch of good student with each a small spark of crazyness and a real passion for the field they're studying, you take away from them any material worry, give them high quality courses and easy acess to scientific equipement and you got the most chaotic, and hell driven scientifics you can.

3 definitely does not divide 14.

And you'll see in a few years that you remember pretty much nothing technical about the material you thought was so awesome.

Then you'll realize that prepa taught you three things:
- how to study,
- how to be rigorous and formal (holy shit, by comparison with students with an education of similar quality in other countries, we are taught to be so much more anal about formal details),
- how to quickly develop an understanding of the architecture of a lesson / chapter / etc.

Then the ENS is mostly there to give you a basic understanding of many subfields of your field (or neighboring ones) and hopefully get you excited about a few of them so that, if you decide to go for a PhD, you have things that interest you and you know more or less what they are.

Also, a couple misconceptions maybe:
- The "10 years" thing isn't really much of a thing, actually. You're nicely asked to please repay your 4 years of paid education by doing something that benefits France in some way. Working in a private tech company in France is fine. Working in good university abroad and publishing papers in good research teams is fine, as it makes ENS look good. And anyways, they try to track alumni for statistics, but those that don't answer the emails asking what their job is, well, they don't do much about it. I've spent the last 2 years doing absolutely nothing that would count as benefiting France in any way and I haven't heard anything about it. Some people suggest that this whole thing wouldn't hold in a European court anyways (not sure exactly). In practice, it doesn't matter either way.
- You seem to think that having researchers as teachers and studying in the same buildings the research labs are in is atypical. It isn't. I wouldn't say it's like that everywhere, but it's at least common, at least in top-tier universities. A new grad student (so basically ENS 3rd year) in an Ivy League school will definitely have a lot of direct contact with research.

Clearly not the land of dental hygeine

Mhh.

>Germany
>11/12. grade years ago
>using dots in math class
>just adapted this habit due reading and watching math explaination online
>teacher always mad and telling me "Where did you pick this up? We're not in the US. Drop it." always when he checked my homework or exams
>never dropped the habit. Got even minus points for using this in exams

So. In Germany some teacher really hate the dot-notation. I still don't get why he was so upset about it. He really picked on that EVERY time.

314 * 10^(-2)

3,14 and 1.000.000

Looks cleaner than the other way around.

1E6 but the E is more like a small € sign with only one horizontal line.

Alle Mathelehrer sind Autisten.

"One million"

als ob.

1, 000, 000

the comma will obviously cause confusion

Just write a definition on the top of your test, they can't do shit then.

lost my shit at 2.

Ingenieur verursacht Katastrophe mit vielen Toten durch die Verwendung eines missverständlichem Dezimalzeichens im Pflichtenheft.

So passiert.

Will do that in future now, kek.

Als ob er soweit vorgedächt hätte. Und jeder Ingi. würde sich an Konventionen im Unternehmen halten. Er war einfach ein Arsch in dieser Hinsicht.

The notation that readers will expect is better, so it depends.

1 000 000

you use ; when using commma:

(3,4; 5,8; 2,1)

but yeah dot is superior

any other way is W R O N G
brainlets gtfo

1 000 000.25

1E6.

On top of that everything should be in engineering notation.

I hate shit like 1.2*10^4 or 5.6*10^-5. That should be 12 kilo-whatever and 56 micro-whatever respectively. Only fucking assholes don't used systems based on 10^3n.