Vegan kitchen wizardry thread

Does anyone have any vegan recipes to share? I don't mean stuff like "chop these veggies and tofu, saute and toss with rice" type stuff, but like making cheese, tricks to making seitan with different textures through different ingredients and unconventional cooking methods, and other stuff that you see in good cookbooks but don't often see in blogs.

Pic related, made some garlic bread using home-made garlic "butter" (recipe coming)

Would that be good for my wife's son? He's 5 and we're trying to get him on a vegan diet

Here's the butter recipe. I used an immersion blender to mix in around 6 cloves of garlic until smooth, then folded in another 2 or 3 minced cloves for texture. Spread on some normal french bread and sprinkled with some seasoning spices, and broiled until golden.

Become vegan and feed him your semen to assert dominance

There's this great book for vegans it's called "A Natural Harvest." It is the defacto bible for vegans, you should check it out and try it. Yum!

Fuck sake just use butter.

Where's the fun in that?

Oh, and 1/8 tsp MSG along with the salt

Just feed him normal kid food, but vegan?
Like veggie dogs, mac'n'cheese, pancakes. Just make sure to make veggies good - don't just steam that shit. Bake some broccoli and cauliflower to go with dinner, and start him off with a little at a time so he gets used to it.

Why would you go to all this trouble?

I don't get the vegans and vegetarians who spend tons of money and/or effort to simulate the taste and texture of meat and dairy products. Most of them end up as pretty shitty imitations in the end.

If you want to eat meat and dairy, just eat meat and dairy. Buy humanely-raised meat and dairy products that don't come from factory farms. You'll pay more but you can solve your ethical issues.

Or stick to your vegan diet and eat some of the hundreds of actually vegan foods that taste great.

Why would you go to all the effort to make "vegan butter" for garlic bread when you could just use olive oil, and it would taste awesome?

I really don't get it, can you explain it to me?

Some people like the taste of meat and dairy, but decide to go vegan for ethical reasons - be it the environment or the animals themselves. Hell, even health reasons. So they eat the faux products to get their cravings satisfied, yet also stick to their eating style.

I think the allure of making something like OP did is just for the sake of it. To try something new and to have fun with it. Being a vegan myself, however, I have run into more than a few vegans who make needlessly extravagant and tedious recipes simply because they can or want to appear pretentious. It's kind of like the soccer mom that adds a shitload of unnecessary "secret ingredients" to her cooking.

You obviously have no idea how being a vegetarian works, please refrain from forcing others onto the diet that you improvised upon yourself to look cool, especially kid.

Fucking hell why did people stop reading books ?!

VEGAN THREAD

MIGHT AS WELL START POSTING COCKS

>I don't get the vegans and vegetarians who spend tons of money and/or effort to simulate the taste and texture of meat and dairy products.

Because I like the texture of meat and dairy products.

>If you want to eat meat and dairy, just eat meat and dairy.

My decision not to eat meat and dairy has exactly nothing to do with whether I *want* to eat meat and dairy. I changed my decisions based on an abstract ethical argument that I thought seemed rational, not because I wanted to look trendy or be healthy or because I didn't like the taste of meat.

>Buy humanely-raised meat and dairy products that don't come from factory farms

I disagree that humanely-raised meat and dairy products exist in any meaningful form, but also would say that even if they did, that still does not make it ethical. Of course, there are any number of choices we can make in a day that can be more or less ethical, this is just where I draw one particular line in my life. Maybe you draw different lines - that's fine. But the line I drew was for ethical reasons - I would love it if we lived in Star Trek and I could materialize a plate with a pound and a half t-bone, a bucket of blue cheese, and some fried sweetbreads.

>Most of them end up as pretty shitty imitations in the end.

I think they taste fine, though I haven't had either meat or dairy in quite a while.

>Or stick to your vegan diet and eat some of the hundreds of actually vegan foods that taste great.

Again, I think they taste fine.

>Why would you go to all the effort to make "vegan butter" for garlic bread when you could just use olive oil, and it would taste awesome?

Because I think butter works better for garlic bread, and I generally prefer the taste of butter on things like pasta. And, since I refuse to eat butter, but I also like tinkering in the kitchen, I decided to play with recipes for butter substitutes and add/change ingredients until it reached the right taste and texture for my preferences.

>but decide to go vegan for ethical reasons - be it the environment or the animals themselves.

Aren't there other ways that the ethical questions can be resolved? You can buy humanely-raised non-factory-farmed meat and dairy products.

Maybe you have a problem with the animals being butchered, but that still leaves dairy products a possibility.

>You can buy humanely-raised non-factory-farmed meat and dairy products.

If your ethical objection is to the killing of animals (unnecessarily) for food, then how the animals were treated or killed is irrelevant. I don't care how you kill an animal if you are literally starving on an island and come across a pig, but at least in my material circumstances, I can quite easily choose to consume or not consume animal products, and it has no great negative impact on my life. I could choose to eat animal products because I think they taste good, but my conscience tends to make me think that's rather a shallow justification.

>Maybe you have a problem with the animals being butchered, but that still leaves dairy products a possibility.

Dairy cows are kept pregnant for essentially their entire lives (because mammals need to get pregnant before they can lactate), which leads to things like uterine prolapse. And because it's 50/50 whether the offspring is a girl or boy cow, and only the girl cows are useful for dairy, all the constantly-pregnant dairy cows causes a constant stream of young male cows that are of the wrong breed for meat. They are sold for veal; i.e., supporting dairy supports the veal industry.

It's more like, seeing animals as things to be used vs seeing them as living beings with wills and lives of their own.

>Dairy cows are kept pregnant for essentially their entire lives (because mammals need to get pregnant before they can lactate),

I should also mention that dairy cows are only economically viable for a few years, so they are typically slaughtered at a fraction of their natural lifespan.

Now, I'm sure there's some cow sanctuary in India where cows are "freely milked" and live full, happy lives, but that's not an option for most people and certainly not where I live.

i wouldn't mind
would prefer white uncut ones

>soy
>soy
>soy
>canola
>all gmos

being a vegan isnt just about eliminating animal products you still have to eat healthy and natural or it means nothing

canola oil is awful , butter is better for you

>all gmos

There is nothing wrong with GMOs, I'm pro-science.

>being a vegan isnt just about eliminating animal products you still have to eat healthy and natural or it means nothing

Being vegan has absolutely nothing to do with being healthy, the word "vegan" was invented by The Vegan Society and defined as follows:

>Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

>canola oil is awful , butter is better for you

As an aside, cold-pressed canola oil is actually quite good for you - it has a high level of omega 3 fatty acids, in a ratio of 2:1 omega 6:3. The ideal ratio is 3:1 or less, and while saturated fats like butter, coconut, or palm oil don't change the balance, canola oil is still pretty ideal as far as balancing the omega 3 ratio and smokepoint go.

I eat a lot of vegan foods, particularly raw ones. But I also eat steak, eggs, raw cheese and butter, organs meats, particularly haggis right now. I don't eat too many empty carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes,etc).

Since I eat plenty of vegan foods I meet plenty of vegans. Never met one that stuck to the diet long term, they always end up craving animal products and there's a reason for that.

>There is nothing wrong with GMOs, I'm pro-science.

then why are you a vegan you say you avoid animal products but not GMOs you are a minority in the vegan community

>Being vegan has absolutely nothing to do with being healthy

ummmm you give us a bad name

why not go eat vegan chocolate cakes then all the days of your life

>then why are you a vegan you say you avoid animal products but not GMOs you are a minority in the vegan community

The actual definition of "Veganism" is:

>Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

It has absolutely nothing to do with GMOs or being healthy. In fact, what does genetically modifying plants have to do with avoiding animal products in the first place? It's a completely unrelated topic.

You can certainly be healthy on a vegan diet, though I would argue that a well-planned omnivorous diet including certain types of fish and insects would be healthier than any vegan diet available at the moment. But The Vegan Society specifically states that it is completely legitimate to be a "Junk Food Vegan".

theres 2 breeds of veganism one that cares about the animals mostly
an ethical vegan

and then theres something called a dietary vegan who eats vegan only because he believes its best for his body to eat this way

i am the latter

anyone who cares about nature and the "environment" would give many many fucks about the people engineering our plants

youre not a true vegan in my eyes

You like to take care of kids, don't you?

>and then theres something called a dietary vegan who eats vegan only because he believes its best for his body to eat this way

A more accurate term would be "Plant Based Diet"

The words "Vegan" and "Veganism" were *invented*, last century, by The Vegan Society. The Vegan Society specifically defines Vegan to be an ethical, not a health-related, concept.

So you can say you're vegan all you want, but the authority that created and defined the word "vegan" is quite clear that you're not.

>youre not a true vegan in my eyes

Because I'm "vegan" in the sense that the word "vegan" is defined by "The Vegan Society", who are responsible for both creating the word "vegan" and defining it in the first place?

The difference between me and you is that even if veganism WERE unhealthy, I would still be vegan because my decision is purely ethical.

>anyone who cares about nature and the "environment" would give many many fucks about the people engineering our plants

GMOs are good for the environment

>GMOs are good for the environment

a person who is a vegan is not likely to be pro GMO lmao

you are an outlier i can tell you that

>The Vegan Society specifically defines Vegan to be an ethical, not a health-related, concept.

idc what the first definition was lets look at what it means now. it means you avoid animal products look on wikipedia. so although i am on a plant based diet i am still a vegan categorically but not because i care about the animals

>the word "vegan" is defined by "The Vegan Society", who are responsible for both creating the word "vegan" and defining it in the first place

literally nobody cares

>health reasons
>eat the faux products

I have a vegan and a vegetarian as room mates and believe me, their vegan faux products can be just as unhealthy as the real deal.

Is smoking vegan?

>cheese

There's only one vegan tobacco brand, but if you use it then yes it is

Isn't tobacco harmful to animals?

>mac'n'VEGANcheese

ew

what brand

Don't force him to be a vegan, you fucking cunt, Let him be a kid and eat whatever the fuck he wants. If he wants to eat spaghetti with meatballs or chicken tendies, let him eat that shit.

Sorry for the delay. It's pic related, at least according to French vegan organizations.

On one hand, big respect for both the recipe and attempt at starting a decent thread.
On the other, cmon just swallow the guilt and buy some steaks.
In the name of contributing
Mushroom demi saved me when planning three vegan services a day for a week, so much possibility
India has more veggies than the rest of the world, and create textured healthy meals with depth un like the western idea of subbing meat for pulses or mushies

Ps how is the butter in heat? Stable? I am attempting a batch tomorrow.

Are people really this easy to bait??

You're absolutely free to believe whatever you want. That doesn't mean you're in any way right, or that you're not a fucking whackadoo.
You're not any more free than those cows you're talking about, other than the fact that you can drive a car or board a plane. You're still trapped by fences, laws (including laws that concern your body and your right to die or not), borders, the list goes on.....This is the Earth. We are made of and live on a planet that has carbon based life forms, which means, we ALL (including the earth itself) eat each other to live and reproduce.
I disagree with factory farming completely, and I grew up on a 2500 acre free range ranch and those animals were fucking pampered as shit. They were happy as fuck until the day they died, which is more than I can say for humans.
The real reason you're vegan is because you're rebelling against being in your own personal cage, not because of your fake moral reasons. If you REALLY cared about livestock animals, you'd choose to eat ONLY meats and eggs and dairy that came from organic free range farms, with ethical kills and clean production, which would force an industry change if everyone did it. The livestock industry isn't interested in people who don't eat meat, eggs, and dairy. But instead, you remove yourself from the equation entirely and expect that to somehow absolve you from your earthly sins. Honey, you're still a sinner, and it will never change unless you get yourself straight.

>ethical kills

>being this unrealistic

Denial ain't a river in Egypt, kid.

What's unrealistic about just.. not killing them.

>help me gather some more retarded cancer recipes that try to imitate food you used to love

Fuck right off with this shit. Want to be a vegan? Then eat your fucking grass and shut the fuck up. I'm fucking sick of this stupid trend - "Let's be vegan but eat imitation cheese and make cauliflower pizzas with vegetable pepperoni" Don't you vegan faggots see the irony in all this? Your body is craving fat and animal protein so you go out of your way to try and recreate foods that contain all of that, foods most of you ate before this gay ass meme started and you hadn't attended that hipster college.

Just fucking stop this shit and eat what your body is telling you to eat.

And then what, princess? What's your plan for the areas of the world where people depend on meat (which is a huge question in itself), or even what to do with the livestock (which can't survive in the wild because they've been bred for thousands of years to be taken care of). I can't wait to see thousands of diseased cows and fighting bulls roaming the country, causing car accidents, human injury, destruction of property, while half of them have eyes popping out from cancer, fatty tumors, inflamed udders, prolapsed uteruses, penis infections, infected cuts and sores from fighting, broken legs from jumping fences and running through creeks and rivers and falling down rocky hillsides. I guess you've never had to bulldoze dead cows out of a river before, have you? And that's JUST THE CATTLE.
So, what's your plan, then? Please, tell us. Because most hardcore vegans believe in killing them all and eradicating the species. Which is full-tilt STUPID.

Any place that depends on meat obviously has broader problems. If you live in the middle of nowhere in the arctic, it's hard to fault people for doing what they need to to survive.

Dealing with remaining livestock isn't hard. Just eat them, and then hey wow genius plan: don't breed any more.

>Just eat them, and then hey wow genius plan: don't breed any more.

From that statement, I can assume you never took a higher science class. You are a fucking MORON. Hey, here's a tip for you, don't breed.

What are you talking about?

>Proving you don't know shit about shit and should STFU.

How can we be sure you know anything more? All you've done so far is call the idea stupid.

>selective reasoning

Did you even read the posts, or are you just delusional? People like you are pure cancer.

I don't see any explanation.

I've already given you explanations, you're just too fucked up to coherently read them. That's not my problem.

Quote them specifically, and I'll concede to your higher science class knowledge.

so insightful, really came up with some solid arguments there mister.

>he didnt get the joke
i swear reddit is upon us

Not an argument.

fuck off to reddit you shit cuck i swear to hell, how can you not recognize the fucking my wifes son meme

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO BACK TO YOUR REDDIT SHITHOLE YOU FUCKING HUMAN WASTE REEEEEE

apparently so. and it's funny as fuck.

hey Louis CK.... maybe try shaming him into veganism. I hear PETA has programs for that.

There is already a General for this

Don't be a faggot about it