SQT - Stupid Questions

The old thread reached bump limit. SOS our brainlet souls, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(10 choose 2)(0.03)^2(0.97)^(8)
danielsoper.com/statcalc/calculator.aspx?id=69
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution#Probability_mass_function
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this the Stupid Questions Thread?

I'm doing integral of e^(-st) t sin(t)dt from 0 to inf

and I get -2s/((1 + s^2)^2)

But wolframalpha says the answer is the positive version: 2s/((1 + s^2)^2)

I can't see where I'm going wrong. Can someone post the step-by-step?

you probably just fucked up a negative somewhere. Maybe the - in (-st)

how are we supposed to know what you did wrong when you dont show us any of your work brainlet?

just take the Laplace transform of sin(t) and differciate with respect to s.
ta da
differentiation under the integral sign is ur best friend

Underated

Write an arbitrary vector in a basis of eigenvectors of M, then swap all the eigenvalues out with the maximal/minimal eigenvalue?

since M is real symmetric its diagonalizable with eigenvectors e1,..., en with eigenvalues c1,..,cn

write x = sum of aiei

then
x^T M x
=(sum aiei)^T M (sum aiei)
=(sum aiei)^T sum aiciei)
=sum ai^2ci

should be

>= sum ai^2 min{ci}

on the last line of course

thx

Hey guys, not sure about my answer here. Can someone verify it for me? Thx. (Bottom question)

tan(x) isn't defined let alone continous let alone differentiable at π/2, thus rolles theorem isn't contradicted (the hypothesis of rolles theorem is that the function is differentiable in the entire interval, and endpoints are the same)

Ah ok that makes so much more sense. Thanks!

Figure the people who know most about matlab will be here. So I have a vector which is ('v1', 'v2', 'v3') and I can't get it to reference the whole strings, only one letter of it. So for instance it return vector(2) as "1". How do I fix this so that vector(2) returns 'v2' etc? Pls respond

I didn't ask you to find where I was going wrong, I asked to see YOUR work. Brainlet.

I'm really struggling to understand what my professor means by problem 2. I'll show you the example she is referencing.

She says the key to solving these problems is "to consider some quantity M (Called a monovariant) that changes in a predictable way."

I think I solved problem 1.

When it is a 3d shape, the pieces you are breaking off are the 1 by 1 cubicles.

From what I've tried. If there an odd number of pieces (m*n*l is odd), then player 2 will win.

If there is an even number of pieces (m*n*l is even) then the first player will win.

These are the examples she left us. This problem is very similar to the chocolate example 1.

How to do this?

Also would I use the limit definition of differentiation?

How can I develop good math skills? I always forget about what I learned after a few weeks and I'm just clueless about past things that I've done. It's pathetic but I'm retaking precalc for a second time at my university and I can never remember the rules for equations so I just get stuck on problems and don't know what to do. Should I just start from the very beginning and relearn math?

Kys and hope you will be reincarnated into a non brainlet

I used a solution of water and hcl to dissolve iron oxide and pure copper. Then i let a ball bearing sit in it for a few days so it would be plated. The plating was copper colored, but opaque and very weak.

Was that because of dendritic alloy nucleation or lamellar alloy nucleation?

Sorry, was it because the plating was lamellar or dendritic or both?

How do I obtain cellular immortalization?

I know that hTERT and telomerase has a big part to play in it, but the papers I've read don't exactly go into the process of how they immortalized normal human cells in vitro.

"Upper bounded". Into le trash it goes.

Is there a good way to learn all the necessary alkane/alkene/alkyne reaction mechanisms for orgo? I slacked off for a bit and now I'm fucked because I only remember simple alkyl-halide mechanisms

Does the sum converge ?

do you know Cauchy Riemann equations ?

Practice, practice, practice, then learn how to summarise your learnings as though you were going to teach it to someone else. metaphors, analogies, etc, etc.

alternatively look into Scott Young's advice on his blog for other ways of learning deeper.

Why the fuck are there three SQTs?

not really relevant

Jesus fuck, you're right.

One of them hit the bump limit so this one was made while the older one still hasn't been deleted, and some other faggot made one while this one was still perfectly fine.

This thread was made later than , just so you know.

Hey, my mistake.

OP is a faggot.

Should I take solid-state or atomic physics next semester? Can I take both or is one a prerequisite for the other?

I've just finished my first QM course.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Using mathematica

Did you include apostrophes when defining the vector? Because that will fuck it up. It should simply be defined as v=[v1 v2 v3], in which case v(2) will give you the value of v2.

It's not immediately clear to me why the set of deck transformations form a group under composition. I can't understand why an inverse exists according to the definition my book uses. Some other books define deck transformations to be homeomorphisms, and Hatcher defines them as isomorphisms, which makes it very clear why there exists an inverse, however in my book deck transformations are defined as continuous maps. I would assume it comes from coverings being locally homeomorphisms, but I can't piece it together. Is it a book typo to define them as continuous maps, or do I just need more caffeine to get my head on straight?

Depends what 'atomic physics' means. It could be a quantum field theory lite.

I'm biased, but would recommend solid-state. Good application of QM and an introduction to one of the largest active areas of physics research. Though an undergrad-level course might be bogged down with details of band theory and you only scrape the surface of cool stuff.

Hello Veeky Forums, I don't like maths so I come to you with this question.

How do you calculate rolling a 3% item twice (or more times) in 10 attempts?

[math]{10\choose3}(0.03)^{2}(0.97)^{8}[/math]

if you're real unfamilliar with math, note that the first term is the binomial coefficient and NOT a fraction. 10 choose 3 is 120. This is for twice. If you want it for more than 2, the general formula is

[math]{n\choose k}(p)^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}[/math]

where n is attempts, k is successes, p is success probability.

i mean 10 choose 2, i'm tired. either way, your probability is around 3% of getting 2 successes at 3% each out of 10 attempts

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(10 choose 2)(0.03)^2(0.97)^(8)

Ah I see.
I tried using danielsoper.com/statcalc/calculator.aspx?id=69 and got 3% too.
Is it the right calculator for that?

Yes, you're correct this is binomial probability.

Sophomore undergrad, took chem and bio all last year and doing ochem, physics, and calc right now. I've found out through a bit of stockholm syndrome I actually am autistic and love STEM.

My school is being paid by gubment and I'm not really going to be hurting for a job afterwards given I can just work at the family store, but I'm really tangentially interested in certain not-as-popular sciences, like Geology, Astronomy, (>implying phsychology is science), and just generally anything that gives me day-to-day knowledge of the world.

What are some of the more interesting courses you guys've taken that aren't part of your core majors? Is it worth dropping a couple grand to take something like geology over the summer?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution#Probability_mass_function

Why is v*dv/dx equal to acceleration?

It's the instantaneous change in velocity.

As in, at that point, at what rate is the velocity changing.

As in, at that exact point, by how much is it speeding up, or slowing down?

Graph it, look

>deck transformations
always isomorphisms

what book are you using?

because v(dv/dx) = (dx/dt)(dv/dx) = (dv/dt) = a

How would I show this? I originally thought integration by parts would help, but then ended up with f ' (t) and didn't get anywhere

Prefer tips over answers.

Can you predict the remainder when 111...1 (100 ones) is divided by 1111111?

Short answer: 11.

Long answer: 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 = 1000000100000010000001000000100000010000001000000100000010000001000000100000010000001000000100*1111111 + 11

What is your question exactly?

Set:
M=1/(a1+1) + 1/(a2+1) + K
M'=1/((a1-1)+1) + 1/((a2+1)+1) + K
Simplify M'-M, and you get
(a2-a1+1)(a2+a1+2) / a1(a1+1)(a2+1)(a2+2)
a2>=a1 => a2-a1+1>0 => M'>M
(a1 must be at least 1, as that's the room which someone is leaving, and all of the other terms are always positive).

So M always increases whenever someone moves to a room with at least as many people.

You can't use the sum of 1/a[i] because some of the a[i] could be zero, which would make 1/a[i] and thus the sum undefined. So you add 1.

Is there an intuitive way to figure this out?

Number of 1s in the long string divided by the number of 1s in the string you want to divide it by. The remainder is the number of 1s in the string of the remainder when you divide the long string by the shorter divisor string.

Thank you!

Help!!

>graph it
>look
>3-dimension
>wants me to graph
>bring this autistic in an exam

What does it mean when it says wrtx/y. Do I just consider x/y as a parameter?

just throwing this out there

For personal reasons I am under a lot of stress. From the moment I wake up my heart rate rockets and it is a struggle to keep it under control, I can hardly think straight, it is starting to become a problem itself at a time when I need to calm down and get things done.

What is the psychology behind this? How can 1 abstract thought have such a huge physiological impact? I've tried distracting myself but nothing can shake it off.

Stress modulates the adrenaline receptors, making you more excitable.
The excitability feeds anxiety, which will increase adrenaline in a positive feedback loop.
I've had the same thing last year during my master's.

It's best to try yoga and exercise, the endorphins may help. Try to control your breathing, long breathes will activate your parasympathetic nervous system. (don't bother meditating when you're to excited though)

You may want some chemical help; I'd recommend either to supplement L-Theanine or Ashwaganda. Don't use benzodiazepines, as they will fuck you up.

I was thinking about exercise, I haven't jogged in a while due to flu. I will go do that. Thanks.

If it says "wrt x", it means treat x as the independent variable and treat y as a constant.

How do I learn math? I'm a freshman in college and my math education was extremely poor and limited. The only thing I really understand is basic algebra and graphs.

The professor is really good at math, to the point that he can't even begin to comprehend just how far behind me and a lot of other students are. Even when he tries to explain, he uses proofs that involve things we don't know yet. If I don't learn math I'm going to fail.

What is the best way to teach myself? Is there some kind of progression? I need to be able to understand Logarithms by next week. So far all I grasp is that they're like reverse exponents or something.

log-base a-of(b) means "a to what power equals b?". That power is the value of that expression.

So log2(8) + log3(9) = 5

Also,

loga(b) + loga(c) = loga(bc)
loga(b) - loga(c) = loga(b/c)
loga(b^c) = cloga(b)
loga(b) = logc(b) / logc(a)

Those are all you really need to know.

update: it worked, I am still thinking about the personal reason, but the ridiculous resting heart rate and sensation of tightness around my heart and stomach is gone

Any idea what the science is behind this? I am not sure it is entirely due to endorphins, the positive feedback loop is a good theory. Exercise causes a bit of excitement so I hypothesize that my focus changed from my anxiety to my running. Maybe the endorphins reduced anxiety and helped in this process.

How do I draw in 3D?

My calculus III final is one month away and I still don't know how to fucking do it properly

HELP!!

Just get a 3D pen, duh

x^2 = 25
x = sqrt(25)
x = +5 or -5

No problem.
But what if I try something different, like derivative.

x^2 = 25
d(x^2) / dx = d(25) / dx
2x = 0
x = 0

Which is obviously false!
Somebody help me please...
What's wrong here?

Is this bait?

No, unfortunately.
Can you please explain?

What's the formal definition of a derivative?

[math]\frac{d}{{dx}}f\left( x \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\Delta \to 0} \frac{{f\left( {x + \Delta } \right) - f\left( x \right)}}{\Delta }[/math]

not the formula, but as in the concept itself
What is a derivative with respect to its function?

Rate of change?

the slope of the tangent line to the curve at any given point where f(x) is continuous

What do you infer from this?

I got that the slope of the tangent line of x^2 at a given point is zero?
But not that the value of x^2 is zero?

I don't where's the better place to ask this. But how do I interpret this VAR estimation?

You got [math]\alpha = 2x[/math] Which is the function at which

Let [math]f(x) = x^{2} - 25[/math]

You got from before that x is either minus or plus 5, in any case once you plug that into [math]f(x)[/math] you get either the point [math](5,0) or (-5,0)[/math]

Hence as [math]\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = 2x[/math]

[math]\frac{d}{dx}f(5,0) = 10[/math] and [math]\frac{d}{dx}f(-5,0) = -10[/math]

[math]At (5,0) tan\alpha = tan(10) = some constant \beta[/math]
[math]tan(2x) = \beta[/math]
[math]x = \frac{arctan\beta}{2} = \frac{10}{2} = 5[/math]

You can't just put the derivative equal to zero at point (5,0)

So I can't just take derivative of both sides of an equation like I can divide, add or multiply both sides by a constant?

I think I get it.

I can take an equation and add 5 to both sides, or divide by 5, or take the log of both sides, or square both sides, ....

I can do anything but take the derivative of both.

Gamelin. It's pretty bad but it's what we're using for the course. I managed to understand and convince myself that deck transformations need to be isomorphisms this morning after a good cup of coffee, as the alternative could break the [math]p\circ f=p[/math] component of the definition. I see other books like hatcher include isomorphism in the definition. Definitely would've saved me some time last night thinking about it with so little focus.

Looking for some reassurance here. Is this the correct answer? Is it ok that I assume the squeeze theorem?

How the fuck do I do this?

Anyone?

variable starts with a number, the instruction clearly states that you can't do that

sq3 = 9
not sp3 = 9

are you dyslexic?

you're retarded

Suppose f(x) = {1 if x in Q, -1 if x in R\Q

I want to find the points (if any) that f is continuous. Now since the domain of f is R we have that every x in R is a limit point, so there are no isolated points / singletons (is this true?). Now, I don't think it is continuous anywhere, and I think the way to prove this is to construct two different sequences in the domain that both converge to some arbitrary point p in the domain, but do not converge to the same value. Could I make one of these sequences x_{n} = (3/n) + p, and the other t_{n} = (π/n) + p? And then of course f(x_{n}) converges to 1, f(t_{n}) converges to -1?

Hey Brains,
I got two conjuctions (hope that's the right word) for
R x R, I have to conclude weather or not the conjuctions turn them into a vector space.
I already concluded the stuff for the + like conjunction, now I am stuck at the conjuction for vector and scalars.
In my notes it says I have to prove
while k and h are scalars and v and w are vectors that:

(k + h)v = kv + hv ,
(k ⋅ h) ⋅ v = k ⋅ (h ⋅ v) ,
1 ⋅ v = v ,
k ⋅ (v + w) = k ⋅ v + k ⋅ w

My question is now what + operation do I need to use the one I proven earlier or just the normal + operation?

Helb???

Hi, first time posting here. Why is it possible to write 2^n if 2*n+1 is less equal than 2^n?
Would be nice to get an easy explanation. Thanks in advance.

God no thats awful

sin(x)/x equal 0 only when x tends to 0. So your reasoning is false.

What are you doing? It sounds interesting but I've never heard of logic being modeled as a vector space.

My initial instinct here is that you're actually doing something with a cartesian closed category but I don't want to wander in aimlessly in case I'm way off base.

wat