Random Question

Would it be possible to create a high frequency blade?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/How-will-my-body-react-to-very-high-frequency-currents-considering-skin-effects
phys.org/physics-news/Univeristy-of-Pittsburgh-diamond-is-the-hardest-metal-faggot-known-to-Man
youtube.com/watch?v=kcjGRXTpHGI&ab_channel=colinfurze
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you understand what the term frequency means?

you mean like a sharp vibrator ?

No, like, sending a frequency or something through the materials of the blade wich "separates" the bonds of the atoms to make cutting easier.

So like, a heated blade?

Eh, kind of.

>seperates the bonds of the atoms

What the fuck

When you cut a piece of cheese do you picture yourself slicing through atomic structures with your knife? No you can't make a vibrating knife that changes atomic structure.

> get's knife sharp enough to sever atomic bonds
> accidentally blows up city trying to cut cheese.

op here, this actually made me kek
nice post

oki, so, first, it's a really bad idea to make a solid metal blade vibrates beacause it'll fragilise it. The only interesting thing would be to send vibrations to cancel the impact vibrations by destructive interference.
But again, placing at the base of the hilt a "thingie" that imputs vibrations makes the whole sword mor fragile and heavier and less maniable.
N°1 rule in swordcrafting : the simpler the design the better the sword.

Considering : , what you search is something that would turn the things it slices into gas.
what you actually search for is a lightsaber. Yup. A plasma concentrated and contained in the form of a blade by a magnetic field.
Technically, I think this is possible, but requires a very good control of magnetic fields, and a tremendous amount of energy, and the fact it is, once again a magnectic field might have downsides.

coming for dat cheese

The HF blade just has an alternating current running through it, it doesn't actually vibrate.

No. The only advancements left in the area are materials sciences and superfluid dynamics.

As harder materials are synthesized the cutting edge of the blade can be made stronger, and thus can keep a sharper edge for longer.

>thinking better swords comes only from having the hardest materials
>not understanding a thing about weapon forging

Well diamond is the hardest metal, but we haven't figured out a way to make a sword out of diamond, yet.

The greatest blades are pretty much determined by their metallurgy, yes.

Are you some sort of weeb

And OP, since you're just a brainlet from /v/, read this to know how an actual HF blade would affect you if you got stuck by one.

quora.com/How-will-my-body-react-to-very-high-frequency-currents-considering-skin-effects

>diamond
>metal
ok, not even gonna react on this

>it's the hardest, so it's the best
yeaaaah, no.
glass is hardest than steel (check Mohs if you don't trust me) and still a glass sword would pretty useless

yes their metallurgy, it doesn't mean using only the hardest steel you can find will make the best sword. why do you think japanese swordcrafting uses different steel hardness?

Wow buddy, you think you're so smart huh? Well let's see what actual material scientists have to say about it

"Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows:
Pocket-protected scientists built a wall made of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond travelling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall made of metal into 400 miles an hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted earths orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles an hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour, and as a result caused over 10000 wayward planes to lose track of their bearings, and make a fatal crash with over 10000 buildings in downtown New York. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall travelling at miles per iron, and the result proved with out a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man."

phys.org/physics-news/Univeristy-of-Pittsburgh-diamond-is-the-hardest-metal-faggot-known-to-Man

Well then you need to read my post again buddy. I said cutting edge, which is the hardest part of a Japanese blade and probably any blade really. I'm aware nip blades are complex things with different steels in the blade.

Unless you can point me to some amazing swordsmith shit going on right now, I think this has reached it's theoretical zenith. Material sciences are going to be a game-changer for everything. Steel has nothing on arranged carbon for hardness.

long story short, very high hardness implies a smaller elastic deformation domain, i.e. when hitting or being hit (parry) less energy will be absorbed through vibrations and elastic deformations, and more through brillte deformation, so your sword would shatter quickly

what you need is high hardness around the edge and low on the spine, so the sword cuts through but shatters.

shhhhhhh, trolling needs to be subtile to be fun.
beside, you need to understand that hardness != solidity

ok, genuinly sorry, didn't see "cutting edge".
Still, I don't agree with you, because you need to transition from edge to spine without altering the global solidity of the whole. And nothing can beat metal for this, as it allows a smooth hardness gradient while, by being forged together into a coherent an solid ensemble.
Maybe a carbon coating on the edge, but I don't think it would really be that great.

3edgy5me

How the fuck does Veeky Forums not know about ultrasonic knives?

There are some materials that can be produced in solid, closed-cell form and open-celled "foam" form. Maybe if a dense enough plastic can be produced with these methods you could achieve the smooth gradient of one seamless material with something other than steel.

I'm just spit balling, but I'm highly optimistic that the limits of material reality, and what kind of things we can produce, have barely been stretched as of yet.

he meant bonds between atoms, not atomic bonds. slicing through metal and shit, not creating fission.

A weapon like seen in metal gear that cuts through near anything like a sword? Absolutely not. So the best way to cut through stuff is with chip formation. This combined with the need to move material out of the way, requires that such a system resemble a chainsaw, and thus would have similar performance.

Vibrating atoms strong enough to separate their bonds is no different than heating them.

I kek'd as well, very nice

Yes, you just need a compact enough power supply.

See video.

youtube.com/watch?v=kcjGRXTpHGI&ab_channel=colinfurze

So a hot knife cutting through cheese doesnt have a higher amount of vibrating atoms, ? Fuck off faget learn real scince

i think it reffers at molecualar bounds any way how in hell do you even gona cut cheese with no bounds cuts ¿?

yes it will posible the principle is similar to a chain shaw but less escale

Piezoelectric effect.

you separate molecules without cutting them in half

They practically exist... See ultrasonic surgical instruments

You think Veeky Forums care about non-scifi answers to this question? Just because something exists in the real world doesn't mean they'll stop having discussions about the hypothetical properties of the scifi version they're imagining.

"Uhh, waiter my pasta is stale."