Healthy eating tips

I'm trying to lose weight and I can't hit 2000cals a day. I'm not a good enough cook for most things, is there any way for a complete amateur to eat healthy or am I fucked?

It's simple for me to cut out soda and fast food, but apparently not eating enough calories makes you gain weight. I had porridge this morning, carrot and coriander canned soup+melon just right now and I don't know what to have this evening. Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

your question makes no sense

What doesn't make sense? I'm autistic sorry.

Bump

Have whatever you'd normally eat, just a much smaller portion of it. Then fill up on something with lots of vegetable fiber, like cooked greens, whole grains or a big salad (not drowned in dressing).

Shit thread.

But I'm not eating enough normally to lose weight. Is there anywhere I can order readymade salads/vegetables?

eat what normally you would with this one change. divide everything you eat into 3 portions and throw one away at meal time. in the garbage so you can't get it back.

if ypu cant manage this simple discipline there is no hope for you.

>apparently not eating enough calories makes you gain weight.
howaboutno j peg

That sounds like a waste

I don't need to eat that much, I don't get hungry.

Really?

That is what I've read on fitness sites.

>Weight loss is largely a matter of reducing calories and increasing activity. So if 500 fewer calories a day than you need to maintain is good, 2000 less is better, right? Not really. Because below a certain threshold, your body thinks you are one of those starving refugees on TV, and does a bunch of things that hurt your long-term weight loss.

>Read that again: starving is a bad way to lose weight.

>Why this is so:

>Your metabolism slows down. Your body will burn fewer calories to maintain itself, and you will feel awful. This is bad for weight loss because as soon as you quit starving yourself, you'll gain weight fast because your metabolism has bottomed out.
>You will tend to lose muscle more than fat. Your body will naturally try to conserve fat and cannibalize muscle if it thinks it is outright starving. This is bad because your real goal is FAT loss, not weight loss. This is how you have people who lose 100 pounds and reach their "ideal" weight, but still look amazingly flabby. Also, losing muscle slows your metabolism down even further, amplifying the giant horrible rebound effect once you quit starving yourself.
>Your life will be a living hell. You'll eventually feel horrible, the diet will fail, and you'll binge eat and regain everything you lost, plus interest.

I would eat a minimal amount if I could, but even then, I don't know what to eat to get the best combination of nutrients.

there's gotta be a better way than literally throwing good food away. what a shamefully wasteful option. I hope you are haunted by the reproachful ghosts of your depression-era ancestors.

>Is there anywhere I can order readymade salads/vegetables?
Absolutely. There's an entire industry based around this shit to take advantage of rich people trying to eat healthy. The food court at Whole Foods is loaded with shit like kale and ancient grain salads. So do other upscale supermarkets, and some restaurants. Should be easy to find if you live in or near a wealthy neighborhood. But you will pay a very high premium for being too lazy to make this stuff yourself.

Okay I guess I'm lazy, but I don't want to fuck it up by making it myself.

that's just something fat people made up to justify not dieting

it does happen, but only when you're literally starving

That doesn't mean you'll gain weight, Idiot. It means that if you go on a crash diet then go back to eating the same way you were before you can gain even more weight. If you feel satisfied on 1500 calories or whatever just keep eating 1500 calories forever.

You can't hit 2000 calories a day? Jesus.

I'm underweight and struggle to eat over 1500 a day.

Fat ass.

>apparently not eating enough calories makes you gain weight
the metabolism meme is not real
the less calories you eat the more weight you lose

nowhere in there does it say that not eating enough makes you directly gain weight.

the important things to take away from that are:
if you're eating so little that you feel crappy, tired, and sick, then you need to eat more. if you still want to lose weight, then you have to find a happy medium where you're eating enough not to go into starvation mode, but still keeping it low enough that you're losing weight.

it is true that if you don't eat enough, you'll stop losing weight, and if you start to eat more, you may gain back some. but that is not the same as gaining weight by not eating enough.

I mean I can't get that much, bud.

Heres my meal plan this week, each meal is around 400cals averaging out to about 1350cal a day for me, cutting right now though so this may be too low for you but here it is anyhow -

BFAST 1
1Toast = 75c
1tsp Almond butter = 98c
1pt Orange Juice = 220c

Total = 393

BFAST 2
1Plain bagel = 216c
2tbsp Cream Cheese = 98c
1tbsp Honey = 64c
Green Tea = 60c

Total = 438
LUNCH 1
(Salad)
2cups Lettuce = 10c
5 Cherry tomatoes = 15c
1 Hardboiled Egg = 78c
1cup Shrd Ched Ch= 110c
1cup Croutons = 122c
1tbsp Honey Mus = 50c
1 Cucumber = 47c
Water = 0c

Total = 432

LUNCH 2
(Garlic Soup)
26 Garlic = 104c
1 Onion = 44c
1 Lemon = 17c
1tbsp Pepper = 30c
2tsp Oil = 80c
2CiabattaBread = 60c
1 Orange = 45c
Green Tea = 60c

Total = 440
DINNER 1
(Stuffed Mushrooms)
1 Onion = 44c
2tsp Oil = 80c
1cup Shrd Ched Ch = 110c
1 Lemon = 17c
5 Cherry Tomatoes = 78c
4 Portobello Mshrm= 16c
1cup Spinach = 7c
1tbsp Pepper = 30c
Green Tea = 60 c

Total = 442

DINNER 2
(Spinach & Potatoe Pie)
2 Large Potatoes = 163c
1 Garlic clove = 4c
5 Cherry Tomatoes = 15c
1cup Spinach = 7c
1tbsp Pepper = 30c
1 Onion = 44c
1cup Shrd Ched Ch= 110c
Green Tea = 60c

Total = 433

would you read the thread please? OP can't get UP to 2000 cal a day, not DOWN to 2000.

Eating healthy is very cheap if you cook. It's very expensive if you don't.

exactly this. OP I know you said you're not that great of a cook. but I suggest using this as a motivation to continue learning. it gets easier, I promise.

I'm probably getting 1000-1500 atm

Thanks

2300cal is more than I could handle I think.

But he's trying to loss weight? Okay, I'm out.

man I wish I could eat like this
for me it would be more like
>BFAST 1
>1Toast = 75c
>1tsp Acid reflux butter = 98c
>1pt Acid Juice = 220c
>Total = 393
>BFAST 2
>1Plain bagel = 216c
>2tbsp Cream Cheese = 98c
>1tbsp Honey = 64c
>Green Tea = 60c
>Total = 438
>LUNCH 1
>(Salad)
>2cups Lettuce = 10c
>5 Acid tomatoes = 15c
>1 Hardboiled Egg = 78c
>1cup Shrd Ched Ch= 110c
>1cup Croutons = 122c
>1tbsp Honey Mus = 50c
>1 Cucumber = 47c
>Water = 0c
>Total = 432
>LUNCH 2
>(Garlic Soup)
>26 Garlic = 104c
>1 Ulcer = 44c
>1 Lemon = 17c
>1tbsp Pepper = 30c
>2tsp Oil = 80c
>2CiabattaBread = 60c
>1 Orange = 45c
>Green Tea = 60c
>Total = 440
>DINNER 1
>(Stuffed Mushrooms)
>1 Ulcer = 44c
>2tsp Oil = 80c
>1cup Shrd Ched Ch = 110c
>1 Acid = 17c
>5 Acid Tomatoes = 78c
>4 Portobello Mshrm= 16c
>1cup Spinach = 7c
>1tbsp Pepper = 30c
>Green Tea = 60 c
>Total = 442
>DINNER 2
>(Spinach & Potatoe Pie)
>2 Large Potatoes = 163c
>1 Garlic clove = 4c
>5 Acid Tomatoes = 15c
>1cup Spinach = 7c
>1tbsp Pepper = 30c
>1 Ulcer = 44c
>1cup Shrd Ched Ch= 110c
>Green Tea = 60c
>Total = 433
>also drink milk of magnesia with every meal or else

>I can't hit 2000cals a day

Yes you can

>not eating enough makes you gain weight

Quit getting your scientific research from tumblr and haas supporters.

This board is full of fat disgusting lazy shits like you. Go to Veeky Forums and read the sticky. Eat less. Exercise more. Drink only water and black coffee, make friends with raw carrots. They will fill you up without having a lot of calories. You can easily lose weight. You just have to want to lose weight...

Lol I just lost it. Sorry for laughing at your pain.

because he misreads weight loss articles that are directed at airheads who think "hm I cut out 500 calories a day and lose 1 lb./week, so if I cut out 1500 calories a day I'll lose 3 lb./week" and fuck their metabolism up. OP has a reading comprehension problem.

it is kinda funny sometimes, in a painful sort of way. I just hope I still have an esophagus when I'm 50.

If you eat 1200cals for a month youll lose 50lbs, I learned that from watching my 600lb life

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

Taking anything for it?

Here's the diet I used to lose 275 pounds.

Eat two boiled eggs a day and as many cans of cold green beans or tomatoes as you want. You can also eat pickles. It's great because it's dirt cheap and you have unlimited food.

> Go to Veeky Forums and read the sticky
I did

>Eat less
I only eat 1000-1500 calories now, you think I should eat less?

>Drink only water and black coffee
I drink water, but I don't like black coffee, what about green tea?

>make friends with raw carrots
Interesting, thanks.

What plants specifically?

Is canned food okay?

Yesss I love pickles and theyre only 5 calories

yeah, right now it's mostly antacids and mylanta. tried taking a few different proton pump inhibitors but they didn't work very well after a while, plus they fucked up every other part of my digestive system. constant dry mouth, dry throat, dry shits, had to drink even more water than normal plus take fiber because my shits all looked like they'd spent a week mummifying in a litter box. constant kinda weird feeling in my guts too, hard to describe. never again.

so I'm doing OTCs and watching the diet and hoping for the best.

>as many cans of cold green beans or tomatoes as you want
so, 0. yeah I have to admit, I'd probably lose a lot that way.

This isn't wrong but this mindset is cancer of you're trying to lose weight.

Oh god that sounds truly awful. I hope it gets better for you user.

I mean I could just not use the food.

Eat more. 1500 calories a day is not enough for you. At 5'9, 140 pounds, I will lose over a pound a week eating 1500 calories a day. You need more food. There is no need to lose more than a couple pounds a week.

Well you dont have to throw it away, just put it back in the pot or the fridge and save it for tomorrows meal, like youve already got it portioned now so its even better.

Yes canned food has nearly the same vitamins as fresh, it's already cleaned and cooked (which is very important, raw vegetables are not good for your system, they are likely to cause a lot of indigestion which will lead to quitting the program sooner)

They have a lot of salt but salt, to this day, has never been proven to contribute to any permanent health problem, only to temporarily raise blood pressure while it's in your system, which can be risky if you already have cardiovascular problems.

If you're extremely overweight when you begin the diet you might try eating more eggs at first and then slowly reducing them as you lose weight.

>Is canned food okay?
not that user but yes and no. it'll usually have some salt and/or sugar added, and it will have less fiber and vitamin content than fresh. but if you don't like eating raw vegetables it's better than nothing I guess.

thanks man

>raw vegetables are not good for your system, they are likely to cause a lot of indigestion
can't agree with the first part of this, sorry. it's true that raw vegetables will give you indigestion if you're not used to them, and that that can be very uncomfortable and make you want to quit. in that case, gradually increase your intake of raw veg over a period of a few months. people can and do get used to them and your body really does need fiber especially if you're not eating a lot.

"I don't rikey vegetables"

Then enjoy being a fatass I don't care. Losing weight is hard. I've accomplished an amount of weight loss that is a statistical near impossibility on my diet. It's never gonna be easy and when you lose it won't be easy KEEPING it off either.

I will give you a little more advice. Don't try to combine exercise with calorie restriction. You're already in a weakened state. You'll want to plan to be have less energy actually. Now when you've reached your goal weight and you're MAINTAINING you need to get out there and bust your ass.

>What plants specifically?
You want a good mix of types - leafy greens, roots and tubers, fruits (mostly non-culinary fruits like peppers and tomatoes), nuts, and so on. But it's hard to go wrong unless you actively fuck it up by doing something like going 51% potato 49% beef. Although even that's better than imitation food-flavored calories, or concentrated food sugar like corn syrup and dried fruit.

>but apparently not eating enough calories makes you gain weight.

no it doesn't, fattie.

Okay then, how much calories should I get?

eat zero fat. eat lots of bean dishes. my fav is veggie pinto bean chili with carrots and lentils and green peas. get a pressure cooker.

>I only eat 1000-1500 calories now, you think I should eat less?

It depends on a lot. What's your height, weight, gender, age, what percentage of your waking hours would you say are sedentary (sitting, napping, driving), how many hours do you spend on moderate activity like walking, how many hours on more deliberate exercise? Do you feel uncomfortably hungry, or full, a lot? Do you feel too low on energy to do things you want to do?

>
>What plants specifically?
Presumably the usual suggestions, green leafy vegetables, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, pretty much anything. (Yeah, a tomato's a fruit, a potato's a tuber, a carrot's a root, whatevs). Don't take that poster's suggestion too literally though. Calories from grains, dairy, or meat are fine, and provide denser protein than you get eating just veggies. (Protein isn't a concern with a balanced diet, even a vegetarian diet, but a diet of primarily green vegetables could be problematic). I'd also suggest some salmon/tuna/mackerel once or twice a week, to supply omegas for general nutrition rather than weight loss, if you are ok eating fish.

>
>Is canned food okay?
There's nothing inherently wrong with it, aside from potentially high sodium content, but fresh veggies and a balanced diet offer better nutrition. Keep some cans for convenience of having them on hand for cooking though; canned tomatoes can be better than out-of-season imports depending on where you live, and canned beans don't require preparation lead time like dry beans. The suggestion of eating as many cans of green beans as you want sounds like a way of satisfying your urge to eat something without adding many calories, but it doesn't add much nutritionally either.

dude how are you fat if you cant even eat 2000 cal a day?

Porridge for breakfast, tuna/veg for lunch and chicken,rice veg for dinner.

Drink water. Done.

>eat zero fat
this is awful advice, fat is a macro

>lose 275 pounds eating pickles
I'm no nutritionist but that sounds like an awesome idea

Go to Veeky Forums and read the sticky.

The only thing I read is the numbers on my checks.

I've been dieting for a year now and I've only lost 20 pounds. I think I fucked up my metabolism

Your metabolism always slows down once you are in caloric deficit.

Losing weight slowly is a good way to keep it off. I lost 60lbs over the course of two and a half years with diet and exercise. After that I just kept exercising and eating sensibly. Six years later I haven't put any of the weight back. Yet during that time I've twice watched my bro drop more than that quickly, only to put it back on and then some.

Salad is your friend just keep the dressings low
Is super easy to cut and clean greens on sunday and you have salad for the whole week
Without dressing you can eat until you explode and you wont over do your calories

i don't like dressings and I don't have a problem with vegetables, it's the prep and getting the ingredients that's the problem

I developed Chrone's and dropped down to 110 and stay there no matter what I do. So I'd say that's the easiest route.

Are you a child or a woman or just 5'6

>this is awful advice, fat is a macro
extra fat not needed in diet. The absolute best way to eat healthy and still feel satisfied is to abstain from fat as much as possible, because fat is so calorie dense.

>drink only water and lots of it

>stop snacking

>eat slowly, and chew your food properly. Lot's of you fatties eat so fast, it's too late when your body realizes it's fucking full and you've overstuffed yourself. So eat slowly and chew a lot. The slower you eat, the easier it will be for your body to be like. Hey, that's enough food fatty

>don't try to change your entire diet overnight. It's too hard and you'll be less likely to stick to it. Change one part one part at a time

>buy bag of spring mix at store
>buy lettuce heads or cabbage heads
>get a mandolin and slice them thin
>easy and doesnt go bad if you keep paper towels in it

i just splash flavored vinegars on my salads and avoid the oil, really helps. a chopped chicken breast and a massive salad with onions and raspberry vinegar is so satisfying to eat actually

fat is integral to building hormones and steroids you mong. avoid hydrogenated oils, too much dairy, and shortenings

i really hope you're joking because my dad has almost died many times from crohn's. sorry to hear your life is going to suck until you die

>starving is a bad way to lose weight.
lol "starvation mode" broscience

everything made sense. that guy is just an idiot.

Thanks.

>fat is integral to building hormones and steroids you mong. avoid hydrogenated oils, too much dairy, and shortenings

I'm speaking from experience with a long term very low fat diet. It works very well. All my regular meals have very little fat in them. That does not mean I never eat fatty things, it's just the vast majority of my food is low in fat. This is optimal for health and weight control. Stay away from fatty food!

>Your body will naturally try to conserve fat and cannibalize muscle if it thinks it is outright starving
Wow no, incorrect, I can't believe somebody wrote this, and that somebody ELSE actually believes this.

More vegetables, less everything else.
Protein over carbs.
Don't add sugar.
Drink water or at least zero calorie refreshments.

Not eating enough calories doesn't make you gain weight, retard. The higher the calorie deficit, the more weight you will lose.
My go to for losing fat, is a keto diet. Works wonders for me, but unrealistic long term. Also hard to make gains because it's not a high protein diet.

In the end though it's energy in vs. energy out, but a calorie isn't just a calorie.
Either go keto, or low carb, if you wanna lose weight quickly. Or just a eat a more well balanced diet, while cutting calories.
Here, use this:
calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
Make sure you eat enough fiber, lean protein, and healthy fats, if you decide to eat more well balanced. Try to cut out added sugar and sugary shit completely and reduce sodium intake.

en dot wikipedia dot org slash rabbit starvation